Have you ever accidentally dropped something in your gas tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone accidentally drop something in their gas tank? Has it or can it cause a problem? Has anyone emptied the contents of an old gas tank and if so, what kind of debris have you found?

This morning I threw in some RL SI-1 fuel system cleaner in my car and I think the cardboard seal fell in the filler neck!
spaz.gif
The cap was missing the seal disk and I think I saw a little white object go down the filler neck. This shouldn't cause a problem right?

I work at a radiator shop and we clean gas tanks too.

Be pretty hard to get much past the unleaded flap on newer cars.

On older stuff I have found....Lots of nuts, bolts, bottle caps, sparkplugs(!)and reciently a golf ball.
lol.gif

I cleaned my tank out once on an 83 Cavalier. There was a plastic siphon tube in there that I have no idea how long it was in there for. Anybody have any idea how long plastic can reside in the bottom of the tank without dissolving?

quote:

Originally posted by kingrob:
Anybody have any idea how long plastic can reside in the bottom of the tank without dissolving?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forever. The sock is plastic as are the tops of electric pumps

I'm guessing somebody was desperate for some gas one time and tried to siphon some out of my tank, then dropped the hose too deep or almost got caught and abandoned the project. Still , it's not as cool as a golfball!

Not in a gas tank, but last year I was cleaning my TB with TB spray, next thing I know the little red straw was missing? Couldn't find it anywhere.
24 hours later and have the engine apart, I found it!!

I find all sorts of stuff in old tractor fuel tanks. Lots of measuring sticks, a golf ball, nuts and bolts.

I see that Chris142 found a golf ball once as well. I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would be near a fuel tank with a golf ball.

I can imagine a scenario where somebody out of gas in desperation plops a golfball into the tank, thinking this will raise the fuel level enough to start the car. But then again, bored kids is a much likelier explanation, kinda like a potato in the tailpipe joke.
A long time ago, I was installing a K&N cone filter on my car. Right in the middle I decided I had to go to the store for something, so I stretched a sock I was using for a rag over the intake and put a rubber band around it, just to keep out leaves or whatever. On the way home, since it sounded so cool now, I gunned it a bit, and it made a nice intake sucking roar. Then it immediately made a weird sound, and the engine started racing. I panicked for a second and thought 'Holy crap, My engine just ingested a sock and destroyed itself!' But then I realized it must have stuck in the throttle, so I turned the engine off, pulled over, and pulled the sock out. Whew!

I've heard about the moth ball claim of increasing mileage....maybe the got the word golf and moth mixed up...ha ha ha ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back