What's the life span of Electric Radiator Fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My camry is 5 years / 84,000km. Im thinking of changing both motors of the radiator electric fans as a preventive maintenance. Do you guys recommend that? Or is it too early? Or should I wait till it konks out? They look like good quality OEM Toyota Denso made in japan type fan motors. They may just last another 10 years, I dont know.
dunno.gif

When you find out what they cost I think you'll wait until they fail to replae them. I can think of no reason to replace a perfectly good fan that is functioning properly, it's not like a spark plug or changing the oil, that's maintenance. Those fans could last as long as the engine if you're lucky. JMO

I don't think I've ever even heard of one going out. I think you may be going a little overboard on the preventative maintenance. Usually fan problems are caused by a bad coolant sensor, wiring or computer problems.

-T

My parents 1997 RAV-4 has the origional fan at 235,000 km.

My 1992 VW diesel has the origional fan at 396,000 km. The housing is getting pretty rusty but that's on the outside.

I think the blower motor for your AC will die before the rad fan.

Steve

I agree with the other posters. The fans are reliable.

Wait until one fails (if it ever does) then replace both of them.

One fan should get you home if one does fail.

guys, look at where the original poster is from, Singapore. His fans would see far, far more use than any Canadian operated car would, especially a diesel.

I agree with the other posters, you start replacing parts pre-emptitively, and where does it stop? If you are going to start replacing parts that 'may' wear out, you may as well just buy a new car every couple years.

Lots of parts wear out on cars, but I am willing to bet good money that those cooling fans will give you ample notice of failure before they actually fail if the failure is due to failure of the motor itself or its bearings.

Every once in a while I spin the electric fans in my car by hand to check for any binding. I also do this with the clutch fan in my other car to check for excessive slippage.

I replaced mine when the car was closing to 18years and 200K kms. There is suppossed to be a relay to protect it but seemingly that relay wasn't replaced with the proper one and probably that's why it broke down. Even then -as Pitzel noted- it squealed every once in a while for tens of thousands of kms before the failure. I was too novice to pay attention. But when the HVAC fan started to squeal (which I never turn off) I put some engine oil to the bearings and it functions perfect at its 21st year right now.

BTW, when I turn the key of my oldie on, I hear at least three relays clicking inside the car and one at the engine bay. Everything seems to have a relay, wire diagram shows one for even the horns! On the other hand newer cars have less relays and may be because of this proportionally less reliable for the electrical issues. I saw too many horns, headlights etc. are being changed oftenly on the cars around me (firm, neighbour, friend). Is it just my observation?

MY 92 Camry has a hydraulic fan, runs off the PS fluid. Fan is always spinning but does speed up when engine is hot. WOnder why they did away with this set up? Still original as well

I'd also wait until there is a problem. But consider that the fans are spinning a lot,almost constantly, esp. on the highway, even if they're not being electrically induced to do so.
Just keep an eye on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back