Can you clean your power steering reservoir?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a car that has been in storage and it hasn't been driven on the road in a couple of years, but I do start and run it frequently.

The power steering pump/reservoir has been squealing when I turn the wheel; even slightly. The wheel also feels "heavy".

I first removed as much of the old fluid that I could using a turkey baster. I removed about 8 oz. I put in some fresh fluid (Prestone 2-in-1 Power Steering Fluid with Stop Leak and Seal Conditioners, [black bottle]). I ran it for a while, turning the steering wheel back and forth.

It got better, but not like it should be. I then used a hand-cranked pump and I was able to remove more fluid, about 13 oz. I refilled it with more fluid; (6 oz. of Lucas Power Steering Fluid and the rest, Valvoline MaxLife Power Steering Fluid, I was told this might be a good combo) but the steering has gone back to the way it was.

I thought I would leave the Lucas/Valvoline mix in for a couple of days and start and run the car again. If there is no improvement after a few days, I was wondering if I should drain out this fluid again, and maybe add some type of cleaner to free up any stuck valves inside the pump.

Is there a cleaner that can be added to help unstick things, or should I just continue to drain and refill with fresh fluid?

Some people have suggested adding Dexron III transmission fluid, or CD-2 Oil Detergent, then removing it and adding fresh fluid.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

the power steering system has a reservoir. This reservoir has a an input hose and an output hose. Disconnect the input hose and re-direct it into a drain container.. plug the holethat is left by removing the input hose after draining the fluid (it is wise to drain the fluid before removing any hoses).

Next, raise the car up on jack stands, and move the wheel from steering stop to steering stop - you will see the fluid level in the reservoir (fresh fluid) drop and old fluid will drain into the container... keep doing it until you are satisfied..... you can also do this with the engine running but the reservoir will empty extremely fast...

good luck

do as reccomended above. If your system is specced for PS fluid, Id suggest keeping to the reccomendation.

I would suggest trying either LC or auto-rx in there after youve flushed it out. Even if a leak forms, there is obviously a problem, so you will have to fix it one way or another.

JMH

If you drove the car I would recomend Auto-Rx. With your duty cycle it would take years for Auto-Rx to work. I would drain the entire system. Refill with with the right fluid and 6-8 onces of LC! After a couple of weeks of run time you should drain this out and refill with clean fluid. It is goping to take forever to really clean it out at this rate though. Normaly one week of driveing in normal use and you would be ready to drain it out and refill. I have done this to three vechiles and it has worked great to clean out 10+ years of build up on OEM fluid.

With that much LC I would not leave it in for long periods of time like months becasue I have no idea what the long term efect would be. It is a deactivated solvent but it still a solvent.

Is their any way you can drive it for a week? Make sure it is not the bearing or the belt slipping as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back