Refreshing CV Joint grease without removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a beater subaru that has over 210k on the clock. It's rusty, and not worth any sort of extensive or expensive solution. One of the rear CV's is starting to make noise, and since there is no way I am going to R&R it I figure the next best thing is to make sure there's at least _some_ lube in there.

My idea is to cut a little hole in the small end of the boot, shoot in lubricant X, and then zip-tie the boot to the half-shaft closer to the joint than the hole (I know the zip-tie will be ok since I had a hole like this once by accident and fixed it just that way). The question is, what do I shoot in there? None of the boots have holes, so any grease which is there is likely dried up and not leaked out. For this reason I was thinking something along the lines of M1 15W50 or mebbe STP...

Any idears?

Thanks!
Robert

Robert,
CV joints take a specific type of grease. I can't recall from memory what kind it is. There are CV joint rebuilding kits for some applications that consist of a new rubber boot, the clamps to seal it, and the grease for that application. I suspect it has a lot of Moly in it, because as I recall, it is green.
If none of the original grease has leaked out, it is not likely it has dried out. The noise you hear may be from a mechanical issue.
Terry

dont cut holes in cv joints.

take the small end clamp off the boot and insert a medical syringe filled with grease BETWEEN the boot and the axle shaft. give it a few ounces of grease and then use a radiator hose clamp to trighten up the small end of the boot.

the reason you need to use a medical syringe is because its the only thing small enough to acrry grease between the axle and ther boot without stretching the boot out and ripping it.

Unfortunately, noise in the area of CV usually means the CV "bearing" itself and refreshing the lube is not going to fix it.

Most CVs can be replaced for under $150 per axle, much less if you do it yourself.

Lots of older Sub's are very special you have to pull the hub and have the axile pressed in and out
crushedcar.gif

Try doing a number of max turn figure of eights, first right and then left, in a parking lot in an attempt to redistribute some grease. I started doing it every few months on the sedans as one was starting to make some noise, and it stopped the noise. Still, it'd be nice to be able to inject some fresh stuff in without having to remove the boot, especially when the mechnaics groan about removing the boot.

I wonder if open gear moly lube would work with this type of thing. You'll never get it to squirt from a syringe however.....a caulk gun maybe
grin.gif

Keep in mind that this thing owes me nothing, and there's really nothing to lose. I think that CV joint grease typically has a lot of moly in it, and I did have an old Audi once where the grease in one of the joints turned to a substance that didn't look too different from good topsoil (!).

I'll look at the clamps on the small ends and see what's there, but like I said, the zip tie will work really well provided the hole is in the right spot.

Gear lube isn't a bad thought! Getting it in is the issue of course, that's why I liked heavy M1...

Thanks!
Robert

Auto parts stores sell packs of CV grease. Cheap and what I'd use.
If you can unclamp an end of the boot, push it back, and work the grease in there, then reclamp, it would be best.

Can you take the joints off of the axles and switch them to the other side of the car? This will change the direction they turn and works on VWs. Do you get any noise in reverse?

Steve

The needles that come in ink-jet cartridge re-fill kits would work great. I would go along with the STP idea, or 90W gear lube..And yes, slide the needle along the axle under the boot, not through it! Maybe you have a bad rear wheel bearing, not a CV joint...

Go to your local Auto Parts store and buy a grease syringe. It looks like a syringe about 2" long with a grease fitting on the end. Snap a grease gun onto the grease fitting and you're good to go.

You might have to make the initial hole in the CV boot with a sharp needle since the end of the syringe is pretty blunt. Use hi-temp grease. The hole poked through the CV boot is so tiny and tight that nothing will get in and out of it afterward.

Two years ago my son's Jetta had a CV joint that was making a bunch of noise. Rather than spending the money to get it replaced, I bought this syringe and flooded the CV joint with grease. It hasn't had a problem or made any noise since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back