Who makes good struts for a Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what company makes decent shocks/struts for Hondas?? I don't want to buy expensive adjustable Koni or Tokico struts. Are Monroe or KYB good for the money? I will need to put new struts on my wifes Honda Civic EX very soon. Any suggestions, Thanks.
cool.gif

If it is just a daily driver, then check out the Gaberials at Autozone or Monore at Advance. Gab's have a lifetime warrenty and I THINK? Mon's at Advance do as well.

Autozone has a loan a tool program to help install them.

KYB are supposed to be a little better than an OE type replacment.

Tokico has non-adjustable replacements known as Tokico Premiums, which are supposed to be better still than the KYBs (and are more expensive)--these are what I chose to put on my 1988 Mustang 5.0 and they did make quite an improvement, although the struts on the Mustang were quite worn out so anything would have been an improvement.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
I was wondering what company makes decent shocks/struts for Hondas?? I don't want to buy expensive adjustable Koni or Tokico struts. Are Monroe or KYB good for the money? I will need to put new struts on my wifes Honda Civic EX very soon. Any suggestions, Thanks.
cool.gif

I would go for the Tokico blues. I added them to a 90 accord and the valving appears to be set for the EX instead of the LX/DX. They will last you the life of the car because of the lifetime warrenty. I am on the second set of Tokicos on my 92 Toyota 4x4 (3rd if you count the cheap factory ones) and they were free. Just keep your receipt. I had 2 leaking ones on the front and the guy at Tokico asked me how many miles and when I told him he said the rear were probably worn too so he shipped me 4 new ones for free. He did want me to send the old ones back for analysis which they promptly re-embursed me for the $12 shipping.

The ones on the accord have over 80k on them and are still good. My father-in-law now has my wifes old accord and has about 170k on it.

The tokicos were about 2/3 the price of the factory replacements and much higher quality.

If it is a newer civic with structs instead of the coilover shocks and double wishbone of the older civics then you will probably have to spring for an new alignment. You might not want to go cheaper than the tokicos so that you don't have to spring for the alignment for about 100k miles.

[ December 02, 2004, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: wulimaster ]

kyb gr-2 struts are cheap (made in japan in the same factory as the OEM part) and they have a lifetime warranty. they also feel better than stock.

you can get them from tirerack.

Go for Kayaba if you want life and are on a budget, the Tokico would have great life and performance but the ride would be on the stiffer side, I use Tokico on my Accord V6, MB GWAGEN and my ancient Nissan Patrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back