Replacing Transmission filter seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebc

Greetings,
My 4L60E transmission has a metal rimmed seal that the filter tube fits into. Shop manual references a special seal driver (which I cannot find) to install the new seal. Is there an alternate method to drive in the new seal?
BTW, I did a search before asking this question, nothing found.
Thanks,
EBC

Forget installing it, that is the easy part. How about getting it out?!!? God I hate those things. Most recent change I just re-used the seal
dunno.gif
. At least I replaced it the time before that...it was not fun. More letting bean counters design cars. There is no reason it has to be like this.

quote:

Originally posted by ebc:
Greetings,
My 4L60E transmission has a metal rimmed seal that the filter tube fits into. Shop manual references a special seal driver (which I cannot find) to install the new seal. Is there an alternate method to drive in the new seal?
BTW, I did a search before asking this question, nothing found.
Thanks,
EBC

I tap em in lightly with a lucite hammer - if I even bother. tight fit = still a good seal

Good point. I had heard they were a bear to remove without scoring the aluminum bore. (They also make a tool for that which I have not found a sourc for).
Thanks,
bc

Same thing happens to me when I did remove x'tion filter. I did tap by hammer and it came loose. You have to pull out.

for a seal driver just use a deep socket (i think 3/4" or 7/8" is the ticket).

removal IS harder. try prying the lip of the seal away from the bore with a screwdriver (this helps but may not always possible). then CAREFULLY tap the edge of the seal with a screwdriver and hammer (try not to drive the screwdriver into the valve body). the seal should turn sideways.

i often wonder about what the special tool must look like. i imagine something like a toggle bolt since i dont think i could get a seal puller down into that tight space. perhaps a seal puller with a bent neck?

Use a 3/4" or a 19mm socket. Regular socket with a 3" extension or deep socket. No special tool needed. Taking the old seal out is the bear. Use a large straight blade screwdriver and CAREFULLY pry it out. BE carefull not to mar the alum trans or pry against the trans solenoids.

I change the ATF every 12k to 15k and my 4L60E has lasted over 200k. It is in a 94 Impala SS. EBC in TN , what is your GM trans in? Also do you have a trans cooler?

Jim,
My transmission is in a 2001 Silverado with 3.73 gears (2wd). I use synthetic fluid and change around 30K. My truck has the towing options which included deep pan and cooler.
Thanks for the responses.
ebc

ebc and others with the 4L60E auto trans. The original seal from the factory was hard to remove from my '94 Impala. It was as thou they had epoxied the seal in the alum trans. Once I got the original seal out, the replacement seal wasnt quite as difficult to remove. ...Another tip for long auto trans life and my pet peeve. When you are backing up and will stop and go forward, please don't drop the trans into Drive until the vehicle comes to a full stop! Likewise, when you are coming to a stop and will back up, please come to a full stop before droppig the trans into REVERSE. Why? you may ask. Brake pads are cheap compared to a trans rebuild!

Jim,
I agree on the "stop before you shift" policy. Some older trannys would snap a band if you violated this rule. I see you are from Lexington, SC. I have many friends in the Palmetto state, one of whom lives near Drehr Island. (I shoot sporting clays in Clinton from time to time).
Regards,
ebc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back