Can I use this gauge for trans temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to add a transmission temperature gauge to my Cherokee. Might it be possible to use a water temperature gauge like this?

I don't see how hot oil would be any different than hot water...

[ May 03, 2004, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: ZmOz ]

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
I would like to add a transmission temperature gauge to my Cherokee. Might it be possible to use a water temperature gauge like this?
I don't see how hot oil would be any different than hot water...

There is nothing wrong with using a water temp gauge that covers the right range. The gauge you show goes to 280F which is plenty hot enough. The problem is that the range from 200F to 280F isn't divided well enough to be able to read with any degree of accuracy.

Try and find a gauge that will give you easy to read values from about 200F to 260F or whatever is your panic temp. AT temps below 200F aren't too importnt. If your temps are below 200F, just smile and don't worry about the number.

Summit racing has some nice digital gauges and senders. I think you can get them for about $60 per setup but haven't looked lately.

It seems like I was paying about $30 for good quality gauges in the early 1970s. Given inflation, that's like $120 to $150 or more today. Smile and pay the $60 for a good gauge.

[ May 03, 2004, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

Well, the reason I want to use a water temp gauge is because it is cheaper than a tranny gauge.
smile.gif
I don't really have much use for it, mostly just to see when something is wrong. Most people on the Jeep forum I visit are running about 100-180. I don't care much about the exact number, but rather, seeing the needle higher or lower than it usually is.

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
Well, the reason I want to use a water temp gauge is because it is cheaper than a tranny gauge.
smile.gif
I don't really have much use for it, mostly just to see when something is wrong. Most people on the Jeep forum I visit are running about 100-180. I don't care much about the exact number, but rather, seeing the needle higher or lower than it usually is.

Look for a water temp gauge that maxes aout about 220 to 230F, it will give you better resulution where you need it. What about the cheap azzed gauges for old Jeeps that Whitney sells (sold?)

The problem is most of the ~$12 water temp gauges are mechanical. I want the electric type with a sender. Also I picked that one because it says "includes sender". If I get a different electric gauge, where might I find a universal type temp sender?

They just never give you a broad enough sweep with the electrics. The mechanicals have the nice 270 sweep ..but all the electrics appear to be 90 degree. The index just can't be graduated enough for me. So if it's beyond "show" ..I'd go with the digital if I was dead set against the mechanical (for pratical installation reasons).

-

JC Whitney has a digital gauge for $40 plus $15 for the sender. Claimed one degree farenheit resolution/accuracy up to 300 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back