How to change brake fluid on cars with ABS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to thank everyone for a very informative and helpful posts. I'll take into consideration your advice and experience while performing brake bleed. I'll let everyone know the result.

Regards,

I use a vac pump to bleed my brakes, when I first started using it I thought, boy this does not work very good because I would always suck air through the connection on the bleed screw. Well I solved this problem by taking the long needle nose type applicator that comes on tubes of gasket maker material and putting it on the end of the bleeder hose. I then remove the bleeder valve and stick the needle nose tip into the bleed hole until it hits bottom and makes a seal. It takes a liitle effort at first but after a few uses the needle nose tip gets worn into the shape of the bleed hole at the bottom and now I do not ever have to press down on it when I am using it.

There is quite a discussion here, my best ideas plus those of some other knowledgeable people. http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000035#000000

It is easier to go through the hammering and heating before you break the bleed screw. Easier yet to do so before breaking the so called Easy Out.

If it doesn't come out without disassembling the caliper, it might be quicker and easier to buy a rebuilt caliper. If you have to heat it, the rubber parts must be replaced. You can also buy a repair kit that consists of a 1/8'' pipe fitting with a bleed screw in it. Drill the old bleed screw out and tap the hole for the pipe thread.

In general, the less you mess with the brakes, the fewer such problems. I never touch the bleed screws until I rebuild the caliper. Then the bleed screw along with everything else is slathered with silicone grease before reassembling.

"I bought a Motive power bleeder several years ago and it is the way to go. You thread the cap onto the fluid reservoir, you pump up 10 - 15 psi..."

Just a note on the Motive Products Power Bleeder universal model. It leaks like crazy.

Bought a universal Motive Products Power bleeder. It clamps a cap on the brake fluid reservoir. It does not have a screw on cap. It leaks so badly, it just leaks alot of brake fluid the engine compartment. Maybe there are models with screw on caps but not for my vehicle.

Thrace, since I have 3 Euro cars I just bought the one that was specifically made for them. It doesn't leak a bit.

I can see how a universal application would be kind of a bad way to go especially if you're filling the power bleeder with fluid.

I am going to buy a adapter to do Chrysler cars since I have a few friends that own Chrysler minivans. The mini van uses a three pronged cap that seems kind of cheap and I'll be surprised if the motive adapter doesn't leak on this application.

Just another note about Motive Products Universal power bleeder. I also tried to use it on an old 90's Chrysler Minivan and a mid '90's Nissan. The Universal bleeder is the recommended bleeder according to Motive Products in an email reply. On both, the bleeder leaked so badly that no bleeding was accomplished. Had to do the job the old fashioned way.
The Universal model has a cap that clamps on to the Brake fluid reservoir.
If there were a screw on cap, it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back