Lubricant for hood latch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellow BITOG members. My '99 Maxima has a little problem with the hood latch. I am not sure if this is from the cold or not. I tried to open the hood last week and was stuck. I pulled the mechanism from inside the car and the hood should pop open slightly. Nothing happened till I got out of the car and the hood popped open when I approached the hood. This happened for 4 times and everytime there would be a delay. I lubed the hood latch couple years ago with white grease and WD-40. Is there another lube that lasts longer that is available in Canada? How does the Amsoil synthetic mutli-purpose spray grease perform? Prefer products I can buy from CT, Wal-Mart, Napa Auto Parts, etc..
Thanks for your suggestions.
smile.gif

In my Haynes manual, it suggests the use of lithium based grease. My hood latch was acting up as well, and that stuff fixed it well, although it is hard to get into the cracks/nooks of the latch mechanism.

wd-40 evaporates and is probably the worst thing to use. I've always had the best luck with motor oil.

-T

I usually just put a few drops of motor oil from my hand pump oiler on the hood latch, hood hinges, door hinges and tailgate hinges at every oil change. Never a had a problem.

I use a lithium based grease that is in a spray can. It sprays out as a liquid, and then the carrier evaporates, and leaves the grease behind. This way it gets into hard to reach places.

The hood may also need a slight adjustment......

The only problem I see with the lithium grease is that it tends to gum things up when it dries, amd it also attracts dirt.

On a seperate note, I tried this "TEFLON dry lube" from PB on my cars' door hinges and hood latch. Seemed to work on my wifes car, but mine was back to squeeking the nex day. I just sprayed it with the PB Blaster this time.

-T

Good or not I use a touch of 3 in 1 oil on all moving hinges, tailgate, and hood latch 2-3 times a year.

quote:

Originally posted by Norm Olt:
Motorcycle chain spray lubes also go on "wet" and then dry themselves, leaving the lubricant present.

If it is designed for use on a spinning chain, it shouldn't have any problem hanging around on a hood latch, eh?
fruit.gif

Norm, have you used motorcycle chain spray lube on car hood latches? By logic, the chain spray looks to be the winner.
cheers.gif

Oh, yeah! For years and years.

Not an especially good lubricant for say, door locks or ignitions (too gummy), but just about perfect in an application where you can actually see the mechanism involved. Doesn't negatively affect O-rings (read this as "rubber or plastic parts") and is pretty immune to water, soap, etc.

Cheers!
cheers.gif

Motorcycle chain spray lubes also go on "wet" and then dry themselves, leaving the lubricant present.

If it is designed for use on a spinning chain, it shouldn't have any problem hanging around on a hood latch, eh?
fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ray Garlington:
I have been using Penetro 90 on more and more stuff lately. It works well on latch mechanisms.

Another Schaeffer's product that works well on latches and hinges is Silver Streak #200. Has moly in it. Applies and acts similar to chain lubes. Doesn't gum up or attract dirt either.

I think your problem is more that the latch needs to be adjusted rather than lubricated. FWIW, all I have ever used over the years is either spray grease or motor oil. Works well with no issues.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back