Timing - Toyota (3VZE) Camshaft alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reassembling my truck and my right camshaft doesn't want to stay in the position it needs to be in at TDC - with the timing marks on the pulley aligned with the marks on the timing belt cover. If I'm real careful, it will stay, but due to the tension on the #3 IN and #5 EX valves, the camshaft lobes want to force the shaft to rotate.

Does this balancing act sound correct? I'd like to not have to take it apart again to correct the timing when I'm done.

Thanks,
-john

This is pretty common. It only has to stay until you get the belt on to hold it. Get the belt on the other 2 pulleys and then move the cam you're having trouble with back to the mark and get the belt on it. Once you take the slack out the belt it should be in the right postition and unable to move...

This may sound silly John but don't forget to rotate the engine at least two complete rotations to make sure the timing on the cams are correct before putting the belt covers on .

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
This may sound silly John but don't forget to rotate the engine at least two complete rotations to make sure the timing on the cams are correct before putting the belt covers on .

Yes, I forgot to mention this. 2 turns will get you back to where you started and the marks should line up perfectly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back