Stacked Plate ATF cooler vs. Tube n' Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which style is better? Why? It looks like tube and fin should have less resistance to flow but many stacked plate manufactureres are calling their designs LPD (low pressure drop).

Which are the best stacked fin atf coolers out there? Someone once mentioned a particular brand that compensates for atf temperature by their special design. Cools more the hotter the atf.

Thanks, DEWFPO

I have allways heard stacked plate are better, both for cooling and durability. I installed a tube and fin cooler on my last cherokee, and after I bought it I wished I would have gone with stacked plate. The fins just bend way too easily, they were like foil.

Some prefer the "tanked" type coolers. They are somewhat more expensive than either the plate or single tube type.

I would think that you would disapate less pressure pushing fluid through a multipath cooler than you would one that has one single path (plate vs. tube and fin).

I bought a 19,000 GVW B&M Supercooler for my last car. I think it's a stacked plate design? I was going to install it on my last car but I now have a new car. 2000 Ford Focus. Apparently FORD has finally learned a thing or two and included a pretty big trans cooler from the factory. But I would only use B&M and Ford Motorsport because these two have a bypass valve I guess that let's cool ATF pass through until is has warmed up. Hayden trans coolers I believe do no have this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back