Neutral/park safety switch......97 4-Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
97 Toyota 4runner v-6 automatic (shifter on the center console)150K miles.

Posting for my son again......to start the car he has to wiggle the shifter (in park or neutral) while holding the key in the start position to get the engine to crank. Sounds to me like a faulty neutral safety switch, but am not 100% certain of that diagnosis. If it is the switch should he look for it on the transmission or in the center console?? Any help is much appreciated.

What you describe does sound like a PNP sensor problem. Sometimes the reverse lights won't work either, sometimes the vehicle will shift funny.

The PNP sensor should be located on the transmission.

I would however first check to see if there is any adjustment at the console, then the trans. linkage. If not, it could be the PNP sensor.

caveat : I'm not familiar with Toyota's but I am a little familiar with Aisen Warner trans and their PNP sensor problems.

DEWFPO

[ February 14, 2004, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: DEWFPO ]

I thought I had a similar neutral safety switch problem on my Toyo. It seemed when I wiggled the shifter it would start. That it turned out was only coincidental. When you try the key on/off do you get any clicking or sound from starter? My problem turned out to be bad started which had a dead spot. I think you can also hot wire the safety switch. My switch was inside the trans.

"do you get any clicking or sound from starter?"

That was actually the first question I asked when he called me with the problem. He said there was no clicking at all. I was thinking bad battery...poor batttery cable connection (since the lights still came on), possibly even an alternator problem. A problem with the starter also came to mind. It's a shame he's so far away (California)...I think I could figure it out if it was here. The battery is less than 4 months old and when it does make just the right contact to turn over he says it spins at a normal rate....not acting like a low battery. Thanks very much for the ideas so far....after relaying these messages to him I think he has decided to have a look inside the console first. Will keep you posted.

This long distance brainstorming is getting old.
frown.gif
.....My son has gone into the console and found all electricals to be clean and working correctly. He's also had the battery checked out and no problems there. We are now turning our attention to the starter. Matters now have gotten worse to the point where when he turns the key to start he gets only a audible "click" from the starter. After scanning some Toyota boards it appears there are a set of solenoid contacts that can often cause problems on high milage vehicles.
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/
I'm starting to think this may be the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back