Does Ford put a 5 cyl. in an F150?

Just a quick question. Has Ford ever put a 5 cylinder engine in the F150 pickup?

My niece's husband stopped by the other day on their way back home. They had just bought an Airstream down in Lake Worth, FL. I was asking him how the truck did and he told me that it did great, even though it was only a 5 CYL.

I was a bit taken aback by that remark, but really didn't question him further on it. A little research on Google told me that Ford did indeed make the "Puma" 5 cyl, but only said that it was used in a delivery van, the Ranger pickup, and maybe one other vehicle.

This pickup that he was driving was a large F150, double cab affair and definitely NOT a Ranger.
So is this combination even possible? And which type of fuel would it be using, gas or diesel. I have no doubt that it was fuel injected (according to Google) but would it be a turbo as well? (prob.)
Also, what year vehicle would it possibly be? This truck didn't look brand new, but fairly so.

Originally Posted by terry274
I'm not aware of a five cylinder ever in an F150. Maybe he meant a 5.0 liter V8?

This is probably the best guess, 5 liter instead of 5 cylinder. I'm pretty sure the F150 has only been sold in I6, V6, and V8 configurations.

I remember Chevy used to use a 292 , 6 cylinder and Ford a 300 , 6 cylinder ( I think ) . Both straight 6's .

Both produced generous torque at low RPM's and were not bad for an economy truck engine .

Never heard of a 5 cylinder Ford ? But that does not mean they did not .

Even the diesel in the F-150 is a V6. At least here in the US the Puma is only in the Transit. Funny thing, I was talking to an engineer about the Puma and they said it was designed under the assumption the Transit has a dog house. Well the Transit does not have a dog house.

Sounds like something I would say, a little bit of a sarcastic joke. 5 cylinders is not unlike my claim to have only 3 functional brain cells.

That Puma is a Diesel, used in the Ranger outside of NA, But only in the Transit Full Sided Van in the US.
The Current Ranger is only available (US Market) w/ the 2.3 Ecoboost.
The old (North American) Ranger, only had Diesel options From1983-1986 (83-84 a 2.2L Mazda unit, 85-86 a 2.3L Mitsubishi)

Just a quick question. Has Ford ever put a 5 cylinder engine in the F150 pickup? ...

This pickup that he was driving was a large F150, double cab affair and definitely NOT a Ranger.
Presuming a few things such as you being in FL, and so he's got a vehicle from North America, then the short answer is "No"; there's never been a production based 5-cyl in an F-150, ever.

Pretty much this can be narrowed down thusly:
From early inception of the F-series, they had either inline 6's or v-8s of various sizes (old Y blocks, FE series, Windsors, Lima)
Later years brought v-6's and continued v-8s with updated configurations of newer engine families (mod-motors and Coyotes).
Never been a 4-cyl or 5-cyl in a North American F-150 for main-stream production use that I'm aware of.

I highly suspect others are right; perhaps he was referring to a 5 litre and not 5-cyl? But then there should have been a badge on the side of the front fender with a "5.0" emblem you should have easily seen.

I'm going with the notion that he confused 5L with 5 cylinder. Although he could have confused 4, 5 and 6 cylinders all the same--most people don't know what a cylinder is any more than V vs inline.

I remember Chevy used to use a 292 , 6 cylinder and Ford a 300 , 6 cylinder ( I think ) . Both straight 6's .

Both produced generous torque at low RPM's and were not bad for an economy truck engine .

Never heard of a 5 cylinder Ford ? But that does not mean they did not .
I absolutely loved that 300 in front of the 5spd manual.

Back