Dexron VI in place of Mercon LV?

i have a Ford 6F35 transmission that requires Mercon LV, but i have access to large amounts of Dexron VI fluid for cheap, and i have a rather large stockpile of the Dexron VI.
I see Many Brands of ATF that say: "recomended for Dexron VI/Mercon LV".
So, are the specs so close on these two fluids that they can be used interchangeably?

That's an interesting question because you're right, aftermarket Mercon LV and Dexron VI fluids are often one and the same. MAG1, for instance, sells an LV ATF that "is licensed by GM and Ford for use where Dexron®-VI and MERCON® LV". Now, is this Dexron VI fluid a "licensed" fluid or just recommended by the company that produces it ? That would be ideal but then again, people run Valvoline Maxlife LV fluid in the same transmission you've got with no issues...

Most fluid manufacturers seem to think so but, I'm not so sure since the Valvoline DEX VI I recently bought is officially licensed as DEX VI but only recommended for use in applications calling for Mercon LV, because of this I'd probably not use it where Merc LV is specified instead opting for a licensed Merc LV. Depending on how much quantity you want to buy Rock Auto sells 5qt jugs of Motorcraft Mercon LV for $17 plus shipping, if you buy one it's like $24 but if you buy four it's like less than $20 a jug.

A lot of licensed Dexron VI fluids are also licensed Mercon LV.

The stockpile you have should be fine
smile.gif

What kind of bulk fluid are you thinking about using? I use a licensed Dex VI in my Chevy stuff that is also Mercon LV licensed and approved if you look at the product data sheet, but it makes no mention of being LV approved on the bottle itself.

I have no doubt in my mind that dexron vi and mercon lv are basically the same fluid. They have nearly identical specs. Use any dexron vi in any mercon lv and vice versa without losing a minute of sleep. From what I hear the mercon lv loses it's color faster and darkens quickly.

Yea should not be an issue. Heck that transmission is mostly GM anyways. It was designed by GM through collaboration with Ford.

Yeah, it was co-developed by GM and Ford.
And coincidentally, thats about the same time that Dexron VI and Mercon LV were introduced.

Its not bulk fluid, but one quart bottles i have.
ACDelco Dexron VI.

Originally Posted by BigLee
ACDelco Dexron VI.

As one might guess, that fluid is "fully licensed and approved by GM". I doubt they want to pay for Motorcraft/Ford licensing either. That said, IMO there's a huge difference between a fluid that's recommended for an application vs one that licensed for one. How does Warren (MAG1) blend a fluid that's licensed for both if the spec isn't the same ? Unless it simply meets what one requires while exceeding the other's specs.

Back