Under 100$ unlocked cell phone for Red pocket or Mint

Looking for a cheap unlocked cell phone that will work with either Red pocket or Mint phone service.

I'm sure that unlocked costs are priced higher but since things change rapidly. Just switched to a LG K51 that I picked up through Boost. Approximately $70. One week in, but I like it so far, although Boost support in the Dish buyout age isn't exactly stellar. Haven't checked unlocked price, but this would be a good deal if you could find it under a hundred. A viable $150 phone it is not.

BTW-- Maybe because I'm a geezer with bad eyes, I put decent battery life over a great display. This and my previous Moto E4+ emphasize a battery that won't wear down quickly. The E4+ was even better. FWIW-- Not a stopper but being a Korean instead of a Chinese company (even though I've had great luck with all things Lenovo/Moto) was a plus. Phone assembly was in Viet Nam.

Last edited:
Use caution with Red Pocket's GSMA (AT&T towers) service if you go with that network with them. In the past month, I've had a total of 6 days of no LTE service (3G only) and at least 4 random periods of time where all SSL/TLS secures websites (ones starting with HTTPS) failing to load. Sketchy service even being in the DC metropolitan area with an up to date iPhone X.

Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
Use caution with Red Pocket's GSMA (AT&T towers) service if you go with that network with them. In the past month, I've had a total of 6 days of no LTE service (3G only) and at least 4 random periods of time where all SSL/TLS secures websites (ones starting with HTTPS) failing to load. Sketchy service even being in the DC metropolitan area with an up to date iPhone X.
It isn't Red Pocket, it is AT&T in general. AT&T's network has gotten a bit unreliable within the past few months. IMO their system has become overloaded and they have some work to do on their infrastructure.
AT&T is used by many MVNOs, including Consumer Cellular. Mint mobile uses the T-Mobile network.

Wife and I had T Mobile and service was very spotty and we switched to CC and had service everywhere except inside Yellowstone. Only had it at the major junctions in the park.

Originally Posted by csandste
Wasn't the question phones instead of plans? Mint is WAY cheaper than Consumer Cellular.

Yeah I'm mainly looking at cheap phones for now.

https://www.amazon.com/BLU-Advance-S5-HD-Smartphone/dp/B07Z45ZP1N/ref=sr_1_6?crid=276PFC26YOT97&dchild=1&keywords=unlocked+smartphones&qid=1594594524&sprefix=unlocked+%2Caps%2C369&sr=8-6

Can't vouch for BLU phone, as I have Motorola and Samsungs in the past

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Can't vouch for BLU phone, as I have Motorola and Samsungs in the past

BLU's reputation is not the best, and is actually one case in which the paranoia some harbor over spyware has been justified.

Found a deal on Amazon for a Nokia 6.
Took me 2-days to find it.
lol.gif

Found a deal on Amazon for a Nokia 6.
Took me 2-days to find it.
lol.gif

Does voLTE and wiFi calling for this phone work on the T-Mobile network? Does it have all T-Mobile LTE bands (2,4,12,66,71). Mint runs on T-Mobile. Not sure about red pocket.
I used to have an incompatible phone on T-Mobile that only had bands 2 and 4 without wifi calling. Things improved significantly when l purchased a phone that supported all LTE bands and wifi calling.

Back