Please Read: BITOG forums migrating to Xenforo

Will the default of "auto watch" be there? On other XF forums when you reply to a thread you are set to automatically watch it and get alerts if someone else posts to the thread (emails and web alerts).

Also, will the e-mail alerts have the full text of the post to which it references? Other XF forums have this, but recently one of them set it to remove the text of the post, which makes the alert partially worthless other than saying "hey someone replied to this thread".

Lastly, will the alerts be enabled on the site so that you can easily see when someone has either replied to your thread, replied to a thread you posted on, and show when you have a PM?

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Will the default of "auto watch" be there? On other XF forums when you reply to a thread you are set to automatically watch it and get alerts if someone else posts to the thread (emails and web alerts).

Also, will the e-mail alerts have the full text of the post to which it references? Other XF forums have this, but recently one of them set it to remove the text of the post, which makes the alert partially worthless other than saying "hey someone replied to this thread".

Lastly, will the alerts be enabled on the site so that you can easily see when someone has either replied to your thread, replied to a thread you posted on, and show when you have a PM?

Thank you. This is exactly the first thing that popped in my head. I tend to forget to manually subscribe after I post in a thread.

I probably should change my forum name, but Pablo is nearly syndicated across the internets since pre Y2K
lol.gif

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Good luck in XF
smile.gif
Will we still have the same smileys?
45.gif
lol.gif

I have to say the smileys here are much better. Not corny looking or anything this one is my fav!!
grin2.gif

Here are a few:

https://xenforo.com/community/help/smilies/

Here are some I see on other forums:

[Linked Image from iili.io]

I'll have to use these guys while I can:

smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
banana2.gif
smile.gif
laugh.gif
cry.gif
08.gif
02.gif
15.gif
16.gif
34.gif
24.gif
27.gif
shocked2.gif
50.gif
45.gif
57.gif
35.gif

I guess I am the only one that does not like Xenforo.
Several forums I have been on switched and it was a nightmare.
The software seems to enjoy making you click multiple times to do what took 1 click before. Navigation is horrible. Can't stand the standard layout.
I find it to be not very intuitive. Stuff does not work the same as I am used to and what I think it should be.
Seems to be more like a social media site than an information forum.

I actually have quit going to sites that use the software because I hate it so much.
Maybe the layout change here will make it better, so will withhold judgement till then.

I belong to several other XenForo boards and none of them list member location under the username. I hope location gets built into the new BITOG board

Great news!!!... I assume we will be able to access the new forum through a app called Tapatalk ... I access many of the forums I belong to through it (on myphone) including other Xenforo based forums I belong too..

Thanks!

Originally Posted by blupupher
I guess I am the only one that does not like Xenforo.
Several forums I have been on switched and it was a nightmare.
The software seems to enjoy making you click multiple times to do what took 1 click before. Navigation is horrible. Can't stand the standard layout.
I find it to be not very intuitive. Stuff does not work the same as I am used to and what I think it should be.
Seems to be more like a social media site than an information forum.

I actually have quit going to sites that use the software because I hate it so much.
Maybe the layout change here will make it better, so will withhold judgement till then.

You're not the only one, I have several forums as well that have switched to other platforms and no longer can enjoy. I have no idea what xenforo even is but hope it's something simple. I'm sure it's been asked but hoping you can use the desktop version on our phones.

Originally Posted by CB900F2
Great news!!!... I assume we will be able to access the new forum through a app called Tapatalk ... I access many of the forums I belong to through it (on myphone) including other Xenforo based forums I belong too..

That's not automatic. The site needs to pay for and install an add-in that integrates Tapatalk as I understand.

I always hate forum migrations but I have total faith the BITOG team will pull it off great.

Please "dark theme". I used classic for 10+ years now I use dark.

I am sure we will all adjust to any small differences.

One feature I like in the current BITOG UBB software is that it shows how many new posts are in threads from the last time you looked at the forums. Not sure if Xenforo can be set to do that. The other board I use that is running Xenforos doesn't show it that way, it just shows which posts are "New" when you click to go into a thread. Guess it still gets you to the first new post when clicking a thread, but IMO it was always nice to see if there was 1 or 2 new posts, or 20+ new posts in the thread before opening it up.

Originally Posted by Rand
I always hate forum migrations but I have total faith the BITOG team will pull it off great.

As much as Wayne cares about the site, I'm sure it will go well. He works hard to sort out bugs ahead of time. I imagine there may be small glitches, it's got to be a big undertaking , moving this site.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by Rand

As much as Wayne cares about the site, I'm sure it will go well. He works hard to sort out bugs ahead of time. I imagine there may be small glitches, it's got to be a big undertaking , moving this site.

I think you are right and I sure don't see it being worse than the last one. We'll all have a learning curve and that goes along with the territory.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
One feature I like in the current BITOG UBB software is that it shows how many new posts are in threads from the last time you looked at the forums. Not sure if Xenforo can be set to do that. The other board I use that is running Xenforos doesn't show it that way, it just shows which posts are "New" when you click to go into a thread. Guess it still gets you to the first new post when clicking a thread, but IMO it was always nice to see if there was 1 or 2 new posts, or 20+ new posts in the thread before opening it up.

How UBB handled visiting or re-visiting threads was one of my complaints. I presume how it marks threads as "read" (when a user didn't read them) or an entire sub-forum as "read" was related too. XF (and every other forum s/w I've encountered handles it much better than UBB did.

That's one thing that has always bugged me about UBB here is when you click on a thread title, it automatically takes you to the newest post, not the original. I also don't like not being able to auto-follow a thread when I comment in it, and frequently forget to hit the follow button.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
That's one thing that has always bugged me about UBB here is when you click on a thread title, it automatically takes you to the newest post, not the original. I also don't like not being able to auto-follow a thread when I comment in it, and frequently forget to hit the follow button.

It takes me to the newest that I haven't read for me. So if a post has 20 comments and I read it, then an hour later I click on the thread that now has 30 posts, it goes to #21 for me. Wouldn't want it any other way.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

It takes me to the newest that I haven't read for me. So if a post has 20 comments and I read it, then an hour later I click on the thread that now has 30 posts, it goes to #21 for me. Wouldn't want it any other way.

This is the only way a board should work = newest unread post when clicking on a thread.

Xenforo might take a little getting used to, ADV changed to it.

Once everyone got used to it and the bugs worked out (theirs is highly customized i believe) it is pretty awesome.

The ahem - aggressive - ignore feature will be nice to have. It is so aggressive people on the ignore list disappear from your life completely... their post just don't show up... and if they start a new thread - NONE of it shows up it is awesome...

It also works better on mobile...

I could do without the likes but it has dislikes too IIRC. (I maintain that if something can be liked, it should also be able to be disliked, otherwise it is PC hogwash)

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by Nick1994

This is the only way a board should work = newest unread post when clicking on a thread.

When I click the thread title, it always takes me to the last post in the thread. I just did it with this one. Had to scroll back to see 3-4 'new' posts that I hadn't see before.... If you click the thread title in the left-hand sidebar, it takes you to the first post of the thread as if you never read the thread at all.
confused2.gif
Just glad that these will be a thing of the past.

Back