Checking out neighbours lawn mower

I checked out my neighbours lawn mower that was basically inoperable. It's on a recreation property and I noticed she was falling behind on her upkeep. It's a Briggs Quantum 6 HP manufactured in 2005. Here is the air filter. I also changed the oil and I'm not sure if it was ever changed before. There was also a missing bolt on the handle which pretty much made it impossible to push. No wonder she was getting behind. It's all tip top now. Enjoy.
laugh.gif

F68A8165-3E1F-4E44-BCBE-247557300948.jpeg

I pretty much replace the spark plug and change the oil on our mower each spring . And often replace the air filter . All as preventative maintenance .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I pretty much replace the spark plug and change the oil on our mower each spring . And often replace the air filter . All as preventative maintenance .

Replacing the spark plug annually is usually pointless. It's a routine from over a half century ago, when spark plugs wore out. Utility spark plugs are built with the same technology as automotive plugs, which have a typical 100K or 120K replacement interval and a wear life of double that. The 25 hours annual use for a typical mower is trivially small in comparison.

The mower pictured must have been running pretty rich with the "100% natural pre-filter", but the plug was still working and likely cleaned itself with a few minutes of normal running.

Good for you for looking out for your female neighbor AND the lawnmower. They need to breathe just like you and me and replacing the oil was a great idea also. Skyactive focal point about the blade was a great comment also.

They should have a class in high school for guys and gals that covers what we consider common sense. Everything from laundry, cooking, money management, and yes, lawn mower care among general maintenance procedures.

Reactions: MM8
Originally Posted by djb
Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Replacing the spark plug annually is usually pointless. It's a routine from over a half century ago, when spark plugs wore out. Utility spark plugs are built with the same technology as automotive plugs, which have a typical 100K or 120K replacement interval and a wear life of double that. The 25 hours annual use for a typical mower is trivially small in comparison.

The mower pictured must have been running pretty rich with the "100% natural pre-filter", but the plug was still working and likely cleaned itself with a few minutes of normal running.

Yep. I stopped replacing plugs in my personal and resale equipment. Inspect, clean, gap. Send it.

Only replace them if they are visibly shot.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
They should have a class in high school for guys and gals that covers what we consider common sense. Everything from laundry, cooking, money management, and yes, lawn mower care among general maintenance procedures.

lol.gif

Pointless. Classes for common sense begin at home.

Off...

Yes...funny to observe (its the same here over the pond btw)....more and more parents expect that school would teach you those lessons....

LooooL...!

On....

Back