Dexron VI for 700R4.

In my S10 the transmission has a little over 18,000 since being rebuilt is Dexron VI ok to use or should i just put Dex / Merc III back in?

Dex VI superceeds Dex III and Dex IIe, Dex VI might start at a lower viscosity but over its lifetime it maintains a more stable viscosity while III or IIE would tend to shear.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Dex VI superceeds Dex III and Dex IIe, Dex VI might start at a lower viscosity but over its lifetime it maintains a more stable viscosity while III or IIE would tend to shear.

Sounds like it is good stuff and i will buy some tomorrow for a drain and fill.

I am using an equivalent Dexron VI in my 1999 S-10 with 212,000 miles on the original engine and transmission and both continues to operate just fine.

Last edited:
Dex VI is superior, as long as it works well initially. This just came up yesterday, my brother is getting his dirt track car back together, being a Turbo 350 it's had regular Dex it's entire (abused) life, so he's putting Dex III/Mercon in it. Not sure if a full synthetic ATF would start leaking, and his external ATF cooler is actually an old A/C condenser, so temperature normally is a problem.

Before Dexron VI … guys here that towed hot & heavy in gassers switched to Mobil 1 ATF …

You could also use Mercon V. It's a little heavier than Dexron VI and closer to Dex/Merc. I ran into this with my Dex/Merc applications and went with M1 ATF.

4L60E in my Silverado is going great on the stuff.
01.gif

Fill with Dexron VI.
It can handle severity and time with reduced oxidation. It's superior to Dex III.

I suspect that single fill of Dex VI will outlast the S-10.

I miss my S-10 from my youth.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by blufeb95

If he is going to do regular low mileage changes of less the 30k, I would stick with the Dex3 as long as it is available. The amount of shear at less than 30k is something I wouldn't worry about.

My 2002 Tahoe has a 4L60E which is essentially just an electronic 700R4. I use Dex VI. It's at 265k miles and going strong. *knock on wood*

Back