Raybestos Specialty Rotors

Ordered a complete set of Raybestos 981041 and 981021 rotors from RockAuto.com. They shipped out of a Parts Authority Warehouse on 7/8/20 and arrived at my house on the next day (7/9/20).

The labels on the rotor boxes have a date of 7/8/20...clearly these boxes were labeled right before they were packed for shipment.

The rotors appear to match the description on their website. They appear to have a turned finish with some type of grey coating. The box for the 981021 rotor has "50-881021" stamped in ink on the box and the rotor edge code is also stamped with "50-881021." The 881021 matches the NAPA Ultra Premium Rotor part number.

I know BPI does a lot of private label business for ACDelco, NAPA, etc but applying labels at the distributor level is a strange one. Not sure what to think of this.

4E702664-F8BF-4BF4-9C9A-BC1ECF19CF0C.jpeg

27651424-649E-435C-B77A-28B336CFE3BE.jpeg

56C7EFB7-1BF8-4410-83DE-0B3ED9F09826.jpeg

EF486308-3951-41BF-9FFE-153F85B99D86.jpeg

"...applying labels at the distributor level is a strange one."

I hear you. I think information systems are so good today that a product can be sold under different names.

Just hope the quality you paid for is what you got. You never could control the labeling on a box.

I've been buying the EHT3 rotors. Whats different between the Specialty and the EHT3s?

Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
I've been buying the EHT3 rotors. Whats different between the Specialty and the EHT3s?

They are supposed to be finished with a little tighter spec. Difference is not that big for most vehicles. But for those that tow or that car/line has brake issues I use them.
For example Hondas larger V6 vehicles, Pilot/Ridgeline/Odyssey, I use the premium rotors due to their brake issues.

Found out something similar with the WJB unit bearings for my Jeep from Rockauto. They're identical to Timken unit bearings. Identical markings and weight. So I started buying them instead. And they last just as long as the Timken!

A lot of re-packaged and/or re-branded going to the auto parts stores typically at the Gold part level, sometimes Silver level can be found if you research enough.

I'm cheap and put a great amount of due diligence looking into quality parts when replacing them. I figure why should I pay extra because you took the same part and put it into a different box, there's only so many manufactures but a lot of distributors or middlemen making a buck.

Rockauto has very competitive pricing but the shipping can be the deal breaker at times especially with heavy rotors for a Ram 2500. My cousin has luck with his local Auto Zone price matching if he can prove its the same exact manufacture part.

If they applied the final sticker just before shipment, how do they keep them identified in the warehouse before this? Is there a peel off sticker removed prior to slapping this sticker on?

It IS interesting that this is occurring at the distributor level. Imagine a bunch of washing machines sitting in a warehouse (not exactly similar) - this one going to Lowes gets Maytag stickers, to HomeDepot gets Whirlpool stickers, to Sears gets Kenmore.

It would have been $40 more if picked up at a local Napa Auto Parts vs getting it shipped from Rock Auto. Not sure if Napa offers warranty though?

Distributor labeling happens with car batteries, cans of soup, and many other items we purchase. It's nothing new.

There is a smaller white label under the "freshly stuck" Rybestos sticker.(The identifier part#) They appear to be using these rotors for multiple brands, and print the brand named seller's label upon sale. That's how you get rotors for $29.

Funny... That looks EXACTLY like my Napa Ultra premium rotors I have for my car
lol.gif

Will put pictures up in awhile to confirm this.

Heh, "Hey bob we got an order, break out the gray spray paint and a raybesto label".

Yes, it's far too common to get the same thing wearing a different label and you just pay extra for the brand name or for NAPA to maintain a physical store. Sometimes the warranty is better.

I'm kidding about the spray paint. They can get robots to do it cheaper.
16.gif

Last edited:
Would like to hear back on runout and other aspects of the fit and finish.

I know you will have out the dial indicator when you do the installation,

Originally Posted by bbhero
Funny... That looks EXACTLY like my Napa Ultra premium rotors I have for my car
lol.gif

Will put pictures up in awhile to confirm this.

He did state it has same part number, just the prefix is different. However, RockAuto has better price vs Napa.

There is a smaller white label under the "freshly stuck" Rybestos sticker.(The identifier part#) They appear to be using these rotors for multiple brands, and print the brand named seller's label upon sale. That's how you get rotors for $29.
Tried to peel off the top label to expose the bottom one. No luck.

are they not cast in China like most are!! besides better machining the actual metal blend makes some better than others, i like + buy EBC rotors made in UK + their pads are mostly USA, looks can be deceiving!!

Back