3 on the tree

I saw a 1964 Fairlane last week … blue green color that my dad had (had one of those toilet paper filters on) …
Clutch free 3 on the tree !

That red Comet is almost a clone of what my father had! Where the aftermarket A/C is where he had the gauge pod! Sweet car. If you do not buy it, I would love to go have a look. Wow, thanks for sharing!

3 on the tree was what I had to drive to learn to drive. My dad's Chevy pickup back in the late 80's. No power steering, had to stand on the clutch to hold it in. It was horrible. But learning on something like that made driving an automatic a breeze. Like others said already, anyone that can drive a stick with the shifting on the floor or middle console could surely use a shifter on the column. Even if you don't know the pattern just play around with it until you do. 3 forward gears 1 reverse. Chevy trucks were super easy. Down and close was 1st, up and away 2nd then straight down to 3rd. Up and close was reverse.

I remember posting about this same topic a year or more ago. Anyways, my buddy inherited an old 1974 D100 or whatever the designation for a two wheel drive Dodge half ton of that era. Slant six, three on the tree, no power brakes or steering. It was also a fine specimen of the 800 pound throttle return spring, floor hinged throttle pedal.

We bombed that around for years before getting our licenses. That was mid 90's and I think it was retired maybe 2004 or 5 for good.

If I recall, when towing, you had to be good to drop it from second to first under load. It was still fun to drive and in the end it got us around from party to party.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by I_4
.... I thought the 4 on the floor was a huge improvement over the worn bushing three on the tree Chevy at the time. Fond memories of that Comet.

Funny, I have Been Looking at one for sale upgraded to a hot 289 with AFR heads.

I'm not a ford guy and I don't like this chassis - but still a sweet car.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What's not to like, beautiful car.
thumbsup2.gif

I currently own two vehicles that are 3 on the tree. My first vehicle was a column shift. I cracked me up how many of my friends could drive a stick, but the column shift would mess them up every time.

I've only owned one 3 on the tree, but plenty of 4 and a 5 on the tree, and 3,4,5 on the floor. Spent a lot of time driving a mates car with 2 on the tree - an EIP Vauxhall with no 2nd gear.

Originally Posted by I_4
That red Comet is almost a clone of what my father had! Where the aftermarket A/C is where he had the gauge pod! Sweet car. If you do not buy it, I would love to go have a look. Wow, thanks for sharing!

The car is in Texas. Trying to figure out how to get it here.

If I don't jump on it, I will PM you.

- Ken

Originally Posted by spasm3
Usually first was toward you and down. Second was up and away and third was away and down. Reverse was toward you and up.

On the 50,s cars I drove, you had to be completely stopped to downshift back into first from second gear.

On some of the early 70's ford and Chevy trucks, the linkage would wear and you could get stuck in reverse. You would then have to set the parking brake, turn off the engine and work the linkage from under the hood.

^ This. That's how it is in my 63 Valiant Signet. No synchro on first and still a common thing well into the '60s.

The linkage was the worst part of the car which had who knows how many miles on it [113,000, 213,000?] when I bought it until I replaced the torque [Z] bar with the more stout one from '67 and up. The original cracked from metal fatigue and was awfully spindly in the first place.

Even my parent's new 63 Dart 270 wagon had to be towed back to the dealer from our own driveway because the linkage hung up.

I love em.

Last edited:
We had a joke in rural Ohio: 3 on the tree. 4 on the floor. And a fifth under the seat.

But anyway, I only had the opportunity to drive a 3 on the tree once. My sister had a 70's Nova with the 250 L6 and 3 on the tree.

A kid I knew long ago had a Mercedes with 4 on the tree. A 61 190 4 door sedan. I never owned a 3 on the tree buy I drove many including a couple cargo vans.

Surprised there is no mention of those famous Dodge Vans with 3 on the tree and slant six.

They were everywhere in the 70's ! And the ford econoline too.

They had the diver's cab ahead of the front axle !

Your toes were ticklin' the headlights
_______

Double-Date night in the Plymouth the Fury with 3 on the tree and 318 2 bbl.

A pint of Southern Comfort 100 Proof tucked in the front seat cushion

and Two sixes of Pabst or Miller in the back seat under a blanket.

Off to the Wamesit Rt 495 Drive in Theatre. - $6 Bucks a carload.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I owned a few vehicles with it. One of which was a 74 Suburban with a 250 I-6. It was a good truck. The linkage bushings were shot, so I converted it to a 3 speed on the floor. Hurst made a conversion kit for it. It had a long throw, but the conversion worked well.

Yep. There were a lot of floors cut to convert to a floor shifter because of worn column shift linkage. Overhauling those shift columns wasn't a job I enjoyed. Typically found it a more successful outcome to replace all the steering column bearings, shift tube, horn ring, and turn signal switch. If it was a ignition key in column setup it got a new ignition key tumbler and switch assembly. Could get expensive but it was better than a "comeback".

Back