Need a New Frig

samsung fridge at the in-laws around $2500 lasted 2 years, Appliance place tried to repair it once.. then said it is outside their service area(but apparently not outside sales area).

they have whirlpool or GE(I think) side by side now around $1100. The ice maker died after 3 years.
Ice maker was replaced by warranty.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

ps: My BIL ( who is a millionaire in the shipping industry) has had four french door bottom freezers in the last 7 years.
They Keep breaking. LG and Samsung.

I just cringe to walk through a box store and see them. KORUS has not been good for the USA.

We have a Maytag bottom freezer/French door fridge. Purchased at Lowes. It is six years old. Icemaker replaced under warranty and that's it. Does very well for temperature control. This is our second Maytag since 1998 and both did well.

Wife bought a Samsung frig 2 years ago against my advice. JUNK! The icemaker constantly freezes up and won't make ice and has to be defrosted, just like a 1950s frig. It froze again this morning after being defrosted only 2 weeks ago. I've read that this is a common problem and Samsung doesn't have a fix for it. The Samsung dishwasher is very noisy and she has problems with the Samsung microwave too. Samsung stove has been ok so far,

Had an LG frig for 10 years prior. Had to change the icemaker twice and a water valve once. Did them both myself. The local parts place also told me parts for those 2 brands are difficult to get. They recommend the Whirlpool family of appliances.

My daughter spent months trying to get drawer parts for her Samsung under warranty. A large portion of the fridge was virtually unusable because of it. Lowes appliance manager even said there are problems with getting parts and does not recommend Samsung because of that.

Can you imagine if an automotive warranty was on the same reimbursement basis? Pay 15k upfront for a diesel engine failure and wait for approval before you receive a refund? NO WAY!

OP, if you made this purchase with a credit card you may have some "purchase protection" or "extended warranty coverage" through Visa or Mastercard under some platinum or gold benefits. 1800visa911 or 1-800-Mastercard - 1-800-627-8372.

I've had bad luck with two Samsung side-by-side fridges. Not sure if they have fixed the design but the recirculation tends to create condensation that then will leak out onto the floor. With the current one, we lowered the temperature so now it's frozen behind the back panel -- no leaks but the frost has grown so much that the plastic cover is bulging and had to remove a couple of drawers.

It's time for a new fridge as I am sick and tired of Samsung. It will be an LG bottom freezer - this design is not as efficient as the others but I think LG fridges are the best looking and more reliable than others. It's in the kitchen and we will be looking at it a lot so it has to be aesthetically pleasing.

$3.5 grand for a freakin fridge, though
frown.gif

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

ps: My BIL ( who is a millionaire in the shipping industry) has had four french door bottom freezers in the last 7 years.
They Keep breaking. LG and Samsung.

I just cringe to walk through a box store and see them. KORUS has not been good for the USA.

I worked for Bell labs in the 80's

The Western Electric upper Management wanted to outsource microwave diode production to S. Korea

Specifically, Lucky Goldstar. After wasting millions and a couple years resources,
the transfer FAILED and production was back in Allentown.

Ask me how I feel about LG. and KORUS

- Ken

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I've had bad luck with two Samsung side-by-side fridges. ...

$3.5 grand for a freakin fridge, though
frown.gif

Not necessary. You can dress up a conventional, Traditional brand fridge with Cabinetry to match exisiting.

Maybe with all the restaurants going belly up you can score a commercial-grade sub-zero..

My Brother tells me they are expensive to service and noisy.

I wouldn't Know I have a piece of junk Whirpool Gold that keeps on trucking.

It ain't No 70's Hotpoint, but its still running 23 years out

I hate the coils underneath. Cleaning nightmare.

Last edited:
Old man, Luddite rant: no wonder families are forced to have double incomes nowadays. Our demands for high bells and whistles standard of living is such a strong driving force. And that these commodities are junk is double the insult. Besides my salary not supporting this, I am grateful my wife is content with basic, simple appliances that get the necessary work accomplished without so much drama. Knock on wood.

Carry on!

I bought my house last September. It was built in October of 2018 so was only a year old. It was furnished completely with Whirlpool appliances. The French door/bottom freezer refrigerator is noisy which is why I hate open floor plans with a combo kitchen/family room area where the TV and stereo are to be enjoyed. A separate kitchen with a pocket door to close it off like they had in the days of yore would be heaven. I turned off the icemaker function because it was so noisy and the cube size is miniscule. Plus I figured that it's going to break at any time. I get better results and nice big cubes with some silicone ice cube trays filled with the filtered water from the dispenser.

The refrigerator sprang a leak about a week ago on the water feed tube on the door to the icemaker/water dispenser. OK, so I'll use the Old Republic home warranty that came with the house.
Nope. Covers the washer, dryer, DW and stove but not the refrigerator. WTH ?

By the way, the Whirlpool gas stove has a defective broiler. I'm having the warranty company send a man out to fix that before the warranty expires and it's still going to cost me a $75 deductible.

Good thing there are some YouTube videos showing how to tear the refrigerator apart. I'll have to order the new water feed tube assembly and install it myself.

I had a Samsung side by side for a couple of years at my previous home. No problems but only a couple of years old. The Samsung replaced a KitchenAid that was 15 years old before the compressor failed. It's pretty crazy that refrigerators today that cost $1200-$1500 or a lot more only last a few years without needing repairs.

our experience with LG and Samsung has been horrible, and numerous repair techs echo our experience. We literally junked our 4 year old LG - it would stop working approx every 4 months - thinking that a manifold fan had stopped. $3500 wasted. we now have a Samsung - the ice maker totally freeze up like frozen Niagara every 3-6 months. We have had several repair calls for that. and the compressor failed at 2.5 years. We were without that fridge for 5-6 weeks while the compressor was replaced. piston pin clearance got too large. yes, we used a dorm fridge for 5 weeks.

So, no more LG or Sammy appliances here!

Mom's Kitchen Aide has been flawless....

It's time folks let the box stores know we are looking for better stuff than what Korea dumps here …

Our last Maytag/Whirlpool appliance guy shut down 3 years back … but I got Maytag from our Sears Hometown Store when we updated our rental condo a couple years back …

I have all Miele German applinces - except the Fridge, because I needed a counter depth unit.

Bought the Samsung french door bottom freezer W water and ice in door in 2010.

I was happier with it than I expected to be.

Lost an ice maker in 2015, was repaired in under a week for a few hundred bones.

UD

I had a custom home built a few year's ago and bought my appliances online from AJ Madison. They offer lots of choices.

If its still working I wouldn't replace it.

Even repair it if its giving issues.

I have an older bottom mount freezer about 18 years old.

It recently started freezing vegetables in the crisper, & couldn't control the temperature in the refrigerator.
I had to do a manual defrost by transfering everything into a 2nd fridge, & unplugging the fridge for 2 days until it quit dripping from the drain hose.
Melted out about 2/3 of a gallon of ice!

I took it apart & found that the defrost thermostat had failed.

I went to the dump, & salvaged a working one from there, & back in service working good again.

Originally Posted by 4WD
It's time folks let the box stores know we are looking for better stuff than what Korea dumps here …

Our last Maytag/Whirlpool appliance guy shut down 3 years back … but I got Maytag from our Sears Hometown Store when we updated our rental condo a couple years back …

Yep, but a lot of Samsung appliances are made in China

I should add my current fridge is a GE with mechanical defrost timer.

only issues .. broken bottom drain pan .. that was on installer.

now getting condensation in freezer.. I think perhaps it needs a new freezer door seal.. dont see any tears but I had snow in there the other day.. which is a big indicator of door air leak.

its going on 8 years old now probably cost around $500 as part of a bundle.. I do wish it was larger.. its on the smaller end of normal.. but not apartment sized.

Back