Castrol Euro at Walmart, but which one?

Background: I have a 2007 Subaru 2.5 turbo. Once upon a time I used Mobil 1, but would sneak in some 0w40 with the requisite 5w30 until my extended 100K warranty expired. Since then I've been using Castrol Euro 3w30 (mostly the Belgium version). I was obsessed with keeping the 100C viscosity above 10 (or 11), without overdoing it (5w40). Also obsessed with HTHS. The Castrol (SL, A3B4, HTHS 3.5) was well regarded for older vehicles has worked well, IMHO, confirmed by a couple UOA's. My supply is now sketchy, and my cache stash is near gone (4 qts...less than 4.25 recommended fill...I would usually fill 4.5, and forgettaboutit for 3000 miles. Those BS UOA's looked good to me.

I happened to be in a Walmart (in TX) yesterday and saw this: Castrol Euro 5w30 SL (same approvals I think, including BMW LL1, MB & VW). Made in Austria. L

What is this stuff??? Its only $23 per 5qt jug, as is most Castrol Edge here. Including 0w40 Euro.

The 0w30 SL vs 0w40 SN has been discussed ad nauseum. But where does the Euro A3B4 SL 5w30 fit? I searched Castrol docs and found this: looks like total group3, but i don't know what latest 0w30 (Euro) is, nor the 0w40.

4 quarts of 0w30 stash Belgium Castrol + 5 qts of new 0w40 = 2 oil changes.

Soooo: Which would be better to use, or even "blend" with the stash: e.g. 2 qts 0w30 Belgium + 2.5 qts new oil? I'm thinking the 0w40 is the better choice. Or does the "all oil today is fantastic" argument hold

Last edited:
Im sorry, but as far as I can tell, the 5w30 is still SL, still BMW LL1, as far as I can tell all approvals the famed GC had, BUT, MSDS suggests its totally group 3. On the other hand, the 0w40 MSDS suggests still has significant group 4 (or 5).

I will continue to try to upload pictures.

I have picture of the bottles, but BITOG (or some hidden force will not let me access my photo library from BITOG

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cmon BITOG Mods, don't forget those of us on iPads / IPhones

Last edited:
I would just use the 0w40. It's on the lighter end of the 40 weight continuum and will work fine...especially in Texas.

Last edited:
I like the Castrol Edge A3/B4 5W30, it's got some good Euro OEMs like BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5 which means the Noack is below 10% while the HTHS is above 3.5 cP

It's "only" SL because of its elevated ZDDP levels (Zn ~ 1000 ppm) which is above the SN limit for a 5W30, but it passes all the API SN quality tests.

Yes I believe it's a Group III oil, but it's well designed and an excellent quality oil. Being a narrower viscosity band oil, a 5W30, instead of a wider band 0W40 means it can get all its tasks done as a Group III. The low temperature performance of PAO (Group IV) is useful for making a 0Wx oil, but if you don't need that extreme cold starting ability then much of the advantage is not utilised.

Both Castrol oils are great, 0W40 or 5W30 A3/B4, I would be happy with either. But I mostly buy the 5W30 A3/B4.

Sorry that OP was so sloppy last night:

The main points were:

1) I'd never seen the A3B4 5w30 at Walmart before, never knew there was an Austrian Castrol, in addition to German & Belgium.
2) since I'm going to mix my 0w30 stash with the new oil anyway, I'm thinking better to stick to the PAO-based stuff (assuming the 0w40 still is). Not sure if I should use up all the 0w30 this time, with a splash of 0w40 to top off, or mix the two in relatively equal proportions, so I have a "0w35" for both the next 2 changes. I know, this is probably splitting hairs.
3) I'm aware of the whole SL vs SN thing with these oils, and so far so good, running the SL stuff in a turbo engine spec'd for SM, for the last 25k miles or so. In the 2 UOA's I've done (was going to test every third change...and I'm running the changes a bit long at ~4500 mi vs the recommended 3750) this oil only sheared to 11ish each time, though the Ca-Mg ratio varied a lot: earlier 2016 UOA was about 1500 Ca, 500 Mg, whereas the later 2018 one was more like 2000 Ca and 165Mg, so maybe the formulations have shifted over time, or maybe that 1st test had enough leftover M1 from prior fill. I am itching to get the current drain tested, but that would be skipping only 1.

I wouldn't worry about the base oil. Just worry about the certifications it meets. They could change formulation at any time without notice. If the new stuff if primarily G3 it may still be better if it's built to pass tougher certifications. I would just go ahead and use up the 0W-30 this time.

I change mine. That castrol 0w40 A3B4 is good oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Didn't know Euro guys go to Wal-Mart and/or change their own oil.
grin2.gif

Yah they have to go to their BMW dealer and pay over $100.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Didn't know Euro guys go to Wal-Mart and/or change their own oil.
grin2.gif

Yah they have to go to their BMW dealer and pay over $100.

Lease - They just take the free oil changes at specified Interval.

Financed - They do in between changes themselves or have a specialty shop do it.

Cash Buyer - They have the same independent with a German Accent that services their GT3 do it.

Last edited:
Castrol 5W30 A3/B4 is recent addition to Wal mart. As of last two weeks it is available in every Wal mart in Colorado Springs.
That oil has been on market for some time, and unlike 5W40 version, it was always approved for MB229.5. So, Noack is probably around 10%, HTHS is not higher than minimum 3.5.
I would go 0W40 over 5W30 or 5W40 Castrol's. 5W30 could be good option for those looking LL01 approved oil on cheap.

Castrol Edge A3/B4 SL on Amazon is about $9 /qt.

the Wal-Mart Castrol A3/B4 SL ($23 / 5 qt.) Can't be the same thing? Is it?

Absolutely same thing.
Take into consideration that pricing sometimes does not make business sense just looking that product. You go to Wal mart to buy cheap oil, but then you spend $100 on other stuff.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Absolutely same thing.

Yep, same stuff. The good stuff.
There is only one Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 & SL.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Absolutely same thing.
Take into consideration that pricing sometimes does not make business sense just looking that product. You go to Wal mart to buy cheap oil, but then you spend $100 on other stuff.

No I go to WM to buy oil. If they don't have anything in the store at $22.88 or lower it stays in the store with the rest of their stuff. Oh and I only stop there when I in that neighborhood.

Back