Car Stereo Upgrade

Thinking of upgrading the stereo in my 2014 Cayman. It has the base stereo, no navigation. The sound is just weak, and I think my passenger door speaker is blown...also I don't think there are any speakers behind the seats, (but there are grills) its all up front.

I want NAV, Apple car play, or Android Compatible, reverse camera, all new speakers, and amp. Not trying to win any car stereo contests, but what's in there is just plain pathetic for what was at the time a 60k car.

Here's what I'm not sure about. I haven't upgraded a stereo in any of my vehicles since 2003, so I'm not in the loop on anything anymore. I use an Ipod Touch for my music, and all of it is in iTunes. I don't have an iPhone, it's a Samsung. I really don't want to get a new phone, not even sure what phone I will get once I do get another one, and I don't want to have to get a phone based on what stereo I chose. The Cayman is not my daily driver right now, and may never be, but this will likely be the only car that I change the stereo in, just because it sucks that bad.

I know that iTunes will be changing to some other Apple music app, and would like to use my Ipod for as long as possible, I suppose when it breaks, I may just start storing music on my phone, and I know there is a way to play iTunes on an Android. I haven't had an iPhone for several years, I believe my last one was a 4.

I'm not opposed to keeping the stock head unit, but if I'm going to replace it, I want everything I listed above. Most stereo shops I've talked to recently tell me it's difficult, or very expensive to try and use the stock head unit. I have no problem using a cord through the auxiliary port, and I'm fine using Waze through my phone. My main concern is the sound.

Help me sort out this mess.

Last edited:
You are in luck, getting good sound is now cheaper and easier than ever. Get 2 really good coaxial or component speakers up front and a powered subwoofer in the back or even under the passenger seat. Pair that with a $100 head unit (will have more features than you will ever need) and a 40 x 2 amplifier. If the speakers are installed correctly it will sound really good. As for connecting the ipod to the head unit...does the ipod have bluetooth? If not then connect with an aux cable.

If you can do the work yourself then I highly recommend ordering it all from Crutchfield. If you want an audio shop to install it, ask to see a car or two that they are currently working on to make sure it looks clean.

Op, I have 2 vehicles with stereos without BLUETOOTH,

I toyed with the idea of upgrading, but my honda is tied to the vehicle security??

Anyway, this is what I opted for and maybe it can help you.

1. Stereo/music - phone is the player and I use a JBL charge speaker that is wired for power and I use 3m double stick VELCRO thing to keep it in place. I can remove it when I am not using it or in high crime places (like in front of my house lol, got broken into already)
2. Back up camera - wired camera connected to a small lcd screen (ebay) on the dash or you can also get one of those kooule rear view mirrors with screen in it.

JBL charge is multi use, I use it in my boat too.
$70

backup camera (wired) - $19
screen dunno but say $50?

I think most head units will accept a flash drive with mp3 music on it. You can put enough music on it to drive for days and never hear the same song twice. Mine stays in all the time. I use this one because it doesn't stick out far and lessens the chance of damaging the usb port:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FYNSZA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Using existing steering wheel audio controls, or adding sirius/xm will require add-on modules that jack up the price. I don't blame you a bit. I can't stand sub-par sound in a vehicle either.

Crutchfield is usually a good place to start to see what will fit and choices for that particular car.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-lR4oKjnECwB/carsystems/Porsche-Cayman-Stereos-and-Speakers.html

well it looks like Crutchfield hasn't look at this car so they have no recommendations.
frown.gif

Generalities. Today amplifier watts are cheap. For casual clean listening you don't need more than 200 watts total for clean full rich sound. you wont blast out the guy next to you with giant subs but it will be more than loud enough to damage your hearing if you listen at 100 watts for too long.

Don't get sold 500W sub amps and 200W door amps if that is not what you need. These require large cabling and mounting that increase installation cost.

I would follow the advice of one of the other posters. Good coaxial or separates in front with a 6.5" bass and 1" tweeter then subs in the back locations. 6x9 or 8" dedicated subs can do well if installed properly. If you can/want to fit a box for a sub, all the better.

Last edited:
In that Porsche, there's tight integration with the car's electronics - VAG products are known to be quirky and you'll need at the least a 3rd party interface if you have "premium" sound. Does the Cayman use a standard DIN-slot radio? If so, the job will be somewhat easier. If you want to install speakers and an amp that's a whole new can of worms as there might be some fabrication work needed. These days, amps have gotten more efficient and smaller to a point where Alpine sells a "power pack" compact amp that mounts behind a radio. You won't win any SPL or bass competitions with it but it can make a difference with sound.

I found this which should make the job of installing a new head unit easier: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X1DD.html
That kit will let you use any 2DIN head unit - I like Pioneer myself. Alpine also makes a solid deck too.

Porsche makes a stock looking upgrade for their "classics" - it's not available for that Cayman and you'll pay for the privilege for a "bone stock" look.

Originally Posted by stockrex
Op, I have 2 vehicles with stereos without BLUETOOTH,

I toyed with the idea of upgrading, but my honda is tied to the vehicle security??

On the Honda, if it doesn't have the MID screen it only have a radio/navigation code bound to the radio and DVD computer. And even so, PAC Audio makes an integration module to keep the MID for the clock/maintenance minder/car settings and steering wheel controls/"premium" sound amp.

https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalog/radio-replacement/rp4-hd11

If that Ridgeline doesn't have the MID or premium sound, all you need is a dash kit and a steering wheel control retention module+harness.

I drive old vehicles that never heard of USB or Blueteeth - they have tape decks. I'd thought of upgrading to more modern stereos but don't care for the killer robot look that most of them have and just never got around to doing anything. Recently though I heard about and bought a couple of inexpensive ($20) FM transmitters that plug into a cigarette lighter. They work surprisingly well, and even include USB power ports:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XJKMZMG

These gadgets won't do everything a modern stereo does of course but will play audio from micro-SD, USB, wired input, and pair with Bluetooth phones for audio (even my basic flip phone). No wiring involved, just pick an empty FM channel. It's perfect for lazy cheapskates like myself looking to modernize the factory stereos in their ancient rides.

Pair that with a $100 head unit (will have more features than you will ever need) and a 40 x 2 amplifier. .

Seriously years ago the cheap head units were absolute junk. Sparkomatic, Jensen, etc. Are you saying these cheap units today are not such junk? I see them all over. Android units for $120, etc. Boss, Dual, chinese mumbo-jumbo names. They seem to have good reviews but I'm like, heck no that's got to be the worst sounding, slow to respond, alternator noise generating POS ever. No?

Seriously years ago the cheap head units were absolute junk. Sparkomatic, Jensen, etc. Are you saying these cheap units today are not such junk? I see them all over. Android units for $120, etc. Boss, Dual, chinese mumbo-jumbo names. They seem to have good reviews but I'm like, heck no that's got to be the worst sounding, slow to respond, alternator noise generating POS ever. No?
Correct. I have 2 sub $100 head units. The Sony I have is great, CD player works flawlessly and it sounds perfect. The Pioneer has great performance specs and 3 pre amp outputs, but the CD player is garbage as it skips all the time.

I drive old vehicles that never heard of USB or Blueteeth - they have tape decks. I'd thought of upgrading to more modern stereos but don't care for the killer robot look that most of them have and just never got around to doing anything. Recently though I heard about and bought a couple of inexpensive ($20) FM transmitters that plug into a cigarette lighter. They work surprisingly well, and even include USB power ports:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XJKMZMG

These gadgets won't do everything a modern stereo does of course but will play audio from micro-SD, USB, wired input, and pair with Bluetooth phones for audio (even my basic flip phone). No wiring involved, just pick an empty FM channel. It's perfect for lazy cheapskates like myself looking to modernize the factory stereos in their ancient rides.
Thanks! This is a great option for those of us that do NOT want to change-out our factory radios. I didn't know these existed.

Back