2017 Honda CR-V, Castrol Magnatec 0w-20, 2250 mi OCI, 1.5 liter T

17,950 mi on odo. Six month since oil change.

Castrol Magnatec 0w-20 was used once again...this time I added MOS2 to the fill.

Low miles and short tripped for the most part. This is a friend's DD but I did manage to take it out for several spirited, extended drives as time allowed. Perhaps that helped.

Anywho...UOA looks much better than previously especially fuel dilution.

Based on UOA...I will run this oil another 3 or 4 months.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 50
The UOA doesn't really confirm or condemn the use of this oil because the mileage is so low. I will say, however, this 0W-20 has a nice additives pkg. You should be fine for at least 5K.

Originally Posted by wemay
The UOA doesn't really confirm or condemn the use of this oil because the mileage is so low. I will say, however, this 0W-20 has a nice additives pkg. You should be fine for at least 5K.

I believe the OP mentions he added moly. So we really don't know what this oil is like.

I would run it 5k. These are really short oci.

Doesn't Honda allow 12 month OCI?
Why not 4500 mi OCI?

I know the 1.5T can be troublesome but I don't see anything here to warrant the ultra short changes.

We both have engines that can create issues. But I like your Magnatec OCI analysis than the one I just posted on Valvoline Advanced here.
I looked at the CRV when I bought the Santa Fe 2.4. Also looked at Magnatec, when I bought the Valvoline.

Maybe I need to quit looking up & down and everywhere, and just grab upon first look / first impression.

Despite owning that 1.5, your analysis came out pretty darn well.

In the 3.5EB I have been seeing less shearing (Especially in the presence of fuel) with Edge than Magnatec. 355F Flashpoint - 9.9 CSt vs 360F Flashpoint - 8.2 cSt @ 100C with 5W-30. However I didn't see anything to make me think this 1.5T has appreciable fuel dilution.

I did a poor job of following up on this UOA

For the backstory... https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ulk-0w-20-1600-mi-oci-1-5l-t#Post5145195

June 2019 UOA is based off dealer bulk after 6 months and 1600 miles. UOA showed fuel dilution of 1.8%. I decided to change the oil at this time using magnatec and installed a fumoto valve. Maintenance minder showed 40 or 50% life left.

December of 2019...I drew a sample and UOA showed 3.5% fuel dilution which prompted oil change at 6 months and 3400 miles. Maintenance minder showed 40 or 50% life left.

I used magnatec once again and decided to add recommended amount of MOS2 at this time to increase moly. I set 6 months as the time table to test for fuel dilution.

Which brings us to the current UOA...I drew a sample and UOA shows
Based on the current UOA...I decided to keep oil in for another 4 months before I change it. That will put us at ~one year.

I just got involved because I want my friends car to be properly cared for given the propensity of fuel diluton with this engine.

The whole point of multiple UOA's is to see how bad this problem is then develop a common sense OCI which I will do for her. Short tripping and low miles are contributing factors no doubt. This is my first experience with excessive fuel dilution so I am learning on the go with help from BITOG.

The dealership and Honda USA have been advised of the data. Quite frankly, I don't think neither give a [censored]. I believe they would just as soon sell this 70 year old woman a new car every 3 years. Despicable really.

Thanks for the reply's.

There is no real problem with any of these UOA's, even with how thin the oil got. Honda's seem to tolerate it well.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Magnatec seems to give very good results in turbo engines. Ford ecoboost engines in particular seem to really like it. Good stuff, especially for the money,

Sir, we do 4K on Safety Kleen eco power ultra Synthetic 5w20 on ours. Other Fords like Taurus and F-250, F-150 get 5w30 eco power 5w30 blend

Back