New Mobil1 EP HM, API SP label design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Tom NJ
Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by bbhero
On that front label.... It's actually not correctly labeled...

It has 5w30 on it....

It should technically have SAE in front of that 5w30. Nit picky. Sure. But the Petroleum Quality Institute of America has gotten on others for not having SAE in front of the grade of oil.

I like the new label look a lot though otherwise.

Good point. I wonder if they're allowed because it says it on the back label. TomNJ could answer that, I'm sure.

You are correct it is not properly labeled. SAE J300 states as follows:

6. LABELING
In properly describing the viscosity grade of an engine oil according to this document, the letters "SAE" must precede the grade number designation. In addition, for multigrade oil formulations this document requires that the W grade precede the non-W grade, and that the two grades be separated by a hyphen (i.e., SAE 10W-30). Other forms of punctuation or separation are not acceptable.

Thank you Tom.

I thought that was not technically a correct labeling there.

From 2020 OM is last pic

3175A153-0E22-406F-8E1C-D33A4DF40291.png

763928BD-F63B-4895-AA12-DEAB6673230F.png

A3E3990A-ADFE-4DD4-A324-B0808A9D4BE7.png

Last edited:
But it's not correct on the front of the container in this thread . .

Technicality?? Yeah. Still not correct format.

Does that owners manual refer to SAE or the API donut that has more of the info you need to buy the right oil …
Nothing to see here …

Did this say must be on the front of the jug … The API donut has more needed info (like spec) and SAE grade …

If people are too dumb to know what an API donut is all these years later … take it to the dealer …

BBE62E89-19B2-423A-A2AA-6ABC0E51ECCF.png

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

Heck... Even Naviguard can get it right... Why can't Mobil 1 or Castrol ???

Just because your homeboys at Mobil 1 can't seem to get their labels right... And evidently Castrol can't either... Don't make them both right... They are both incorrect.

I will say this. . I was playing volleyball in a league in Williamsburg quarterpath indoor court and my buddy Robert on the other team hit a really hard topspin serve... It landed in my side of the court by like 10 inches... The referee Paul called it out... I started laughing going to get the ball not believing he missed that call... That bad... The other team was not happy at all with the bad call.. I grabbed the ball and threw it to the other teams side and told the referee Paul that the ball was totally good and in, that it was their point. Paul asked me if I was sure... I laughed and told him "ohh yeah It was way in". Robert and his teammates thanked me for my call on it. It was the right call.

I'm just calling this the way it seems too. And Castrol being wrong don't make them or anyone else right either.

There is a correct way to label this stuff... And it should be followed by all.

Last edited:
You are just clinging to some gotcha moment that never happened … You really think a company that large has put out thousand of bottles in various flavors for years and years with mistakes on every one ?
So what about Castrol ?

Read my added post above..

Correct or wrong.... Their labeling is not really correct.

So was Castrol label too.

You or nobody else on this website is in a position to decide that … Adios

TomNJ having said what he said... . Per SAE J300 6. "The letters SAE must precede any grade number designation"....

Backs up what I said. . It is not totally correct or right in how it was labeled. Whether it be Mobil 1 or Castrol or... Anyone else for that matter.

You certainly understand what standards are and why and what reason they are in place.

And... Take it easy. I was laughing at times with all this. Especially typing about your homeboys... Can't be or need to be super duper serious all the time.

Last edited:
To my knowledge the SAE designation is required for each instance of displaying the viscosity grade.
The labeling seems to meet the requirements of the current API Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System.

The front bears the API Starburst with "For Gasoline Engines" while the rear bears the API Starburst with the Service Level and SAE Viscosity.

Other oil companies do the same:

Pennzoil

API EOLCS

Ahh that Pennzoil yellow bottle clearly has SAE on the front of it before the grade.... Plain as day... It is actually correct. Unlike some other examples.

The labeling seems to meet the requirements of the current API Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System.

The front bears the API Starburst with "For Gasoline Engines" while the rear bears the API Starburst with the Service Level and SAE Viscosity.

Other oil companies do the same:

Pennzoil

API EOLCS

Yes but does not meet the requirements of API J300, NIST Handbook 130, or California code:

PQIA: Properly Displaying Viscosity Grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back