Good Jackstands?

Originally Posted by shibby6600
I have some of the slightly older 38846 stands. They are assembled the exact same, but maybe didn't have penetration issues with the weld? Wonder if welding straps between the two halves would solve the problem or strengthen it.

For what it's worth, everyone looking at different brand jacks that have the same construction, be aware you could have the same issues. Would not surprise me in the slightest if every jack made in China comes from only a couple different factories that are owned by the same person and use the same assembly process.

Additional note, even if they use a pin does not mean they will not split at the seam weld.

That goes for anything that is welded, even the Made in the USA stands have welds.

Originally Posted by Donald
The jack stands that have a pin, it looks like the pin hold the ratchet in place vs holding the weight of the car?

Right, it jams the teeth in the pawl so it cannot be moved even if you tried to deliberately move it, that type is very strong.

Lots of pin style are 22 ton to start without being magnitudes heavier … there might be an engineering message in that … ratchet style are popular bc they are easy to use and cheap … So will always be the mainstay …

I plan to get some flat top Esco 3 tons some day. The flat top would be very helpful at times, especially with some Euro cars that use the lifting blocks at tbe jack points. The standard "saddle type" jack stands stink for that.

[Linked Image]

I've had these Duralast 5-tons with a double pin design for about 10 years and they've been excellent.

[Linked Image]

Just ordered these:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200349986_200349986?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive%20%3E%20Jacks%20%3E%20Jack%20Stands&utm_campaign=Hein-Werner%20Automotive&utm_content=155717&&lid=92700040231874571&ds_s_kwgid=58700000740123709&ds_e_product_group_id=606386469800&ds_e_product_store_id=&ds_e_ad_type=pla&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000001662305&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvJyAtsHA6gIVENbACh1doQkPEAQYASABEgIeafD_BwE

Was told that they were decently made and stable. $99/pair, free ship.

Originally Posted by 4WD
You are leery because the castings look like a 7th grade shop class made them during a teacher's strike.

Horrible workmanship …
Yeah...I cannot get my head wrapped around using the ratchet style (though I know they are really popular). I will find a solid set of either pin type or ratchet + pin. In a former life, I worked in the petro-chem industry and could have had one of the TIG welders make me a set out of S/S channel and box tube (back before the craftsmen disappeared).

These seem beefy … sure rated high

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200610848_200610848?cm_mmc=Bing-pla&utm_source=Bing_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive%20%3E%20Jacks%20%3E%20Jack%20Stands&utm_campaign=Sunex%20Tools&utm_content=39058&msclkid=82c9723506ae178329c02d329479a3f4

Originally Posted by 4WD

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200610848_200610848?cm_mmc=Bing-pla&utm_source=Bing_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive%20%3E%20Jacks%20%3E%20Jack%20Stands&utm_campaign=Sunex%20Tools&utm_content=39058&msclkid=82c9723506ae178329c02d329479a3f4

I will look into these--very beefy and unlikely to fail. Thanks!

If anyone has trouble with the link … these stands transfer load via stout square tubing …

3F74A9DB-B451-4280-A206-0211C8393AE2.png

My bet is many of the jack stands in use today come from the same mfg. The only difference is a paint color and a different label. So, as always let the buyer beware. Since this is the second recall from HF on jack stands hopefully they double checked what they deem safe. A third recall could be devastating.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Those truck stands are probably overkill for the average weekend warrior who works on a normal cars or even an SUV! No worry about them collapsing, though!

Yep … once you get away from the ratchet latch and flimsy legs … they tend to jump up in working load.
Looks like a lifetime tool at least …
We'll see what PSD thinks … he's clearly done some "government work" on things like these …ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

Originally Posted by 4WD
If anyone has trouble with the link … these stands transfer load via stout square tubing …

Those have a good look, but I wonder if the small interface area is a detriment in some applications???

Very solid Id say...

My assumption is our distinguished colleague from Houston wants to put them under a mean green machine with Dana tubes growing out of pumpkins ?

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by 4WD

Those have a good look, but I wonder if the small interface area is a detriment in some applications???

Very solid Id say...

+1, not liking the top of those at all for under frame rails. If I was going 10 ton these would be better for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-1210-10-Ton-Height-Stands/dp/B0093NBQ7G

Originally Posted by 4WD
My assumption is our distinguished colleague from Houston wants to put them under a mean green machine with Dana tubes growing out of pumpkins ?

LOL - Good one 4WD!
crackmeup2.gif

Indeed, you are correct and in conjunction with that, me thinks I have no desire to see the distance between said Dana tubes growing out of pumpkins and solid surface beneath to suddenly and rapidly diminish to a gap equal to or less than respective body part which may or may not be under said Dana tubes or pumpkin at the time.

The ratchet style stands just look cheap and the area of pawl engagement is just questionable to me (I will freely admit to being prejudiced against that style). It will be nice to have a set that fit the frame rails and the axle tubes so I may have to spend more than I anticipated, but this is one thing I will not cheap out on.

I definitely appreciate all of the examples and input--I am still processing!

You'd have to take measurements in either case … but a Rubicon frame is fairly high … Plus the axle sag.
Again, assumed he wanted to saddle up on the Dana axle tubes …
Another thing about the square tubing is a 2nd upper mandrel could be fabricated …
(even if single position) …

Back