Grease. Temperature rating

"high" temperature grease have nothing to do with how good of a lubricator they are. Silca gel thickening grease for kiln cars, as an example are usable to 1000 degrees F, but sure wouldn't want it in my car wheel bearings. High temp is a missed used marketing term. imo. Grease come down to thickening agents, percent and quality of base oils and quality and amounts of additives. As with oil, grease should be selected by the application it is to be used.

Last edited:
To dovetail off of salesrep's 100% accurate answer.

I have to often point out these distinctions with differences to clients because the search for "better" often ends with actually "worse".

greases and oils are more often than not designed and mixed against a performance standard or criteria so the word "better" really cannot be meaningfully defined.

it might be better stated as " will a high temp grease perform better in my application because the will have this effect (insert end estimated result here)

It is often discovered that in many applications, a higher rating in one category often comes at the expense of another critically important quality not always highlighted in the literature.

What ABN said..Additionally Tech departments will tell you that there is more failures from over greasing than from under greasing.

Originally Posted by salesrep
What ABN said..Additionally Tech departments will tell you that there is more failures from over greasing than from under greasing.

Interesting! I am worried that I need to repack them as they have 60K on them since I did them last. I have to replace the brake rotors and that necessitates complete disassembly.

Originally Posted by Chris142

Interesting! I am worried that I need to repack them as they have 60K on them since I did them last. I have to replace the brake rotors and that necessitates complete disassembly.

That's probably due based on mileage but nothing to worry about.

Update. We did the whole thing yesterday. The valvoline ford approved moly grease had turned to liquid. The bearings were very scored.

It got new timkin bearings,national seals as well as pads and rotors. My friend that has a 4x4 shop let me do the work there so that he could press the new wheel studs and he has the proper drivers for bearing races.

He uses Chevron Delo wheel bearing grease so that is what went into it this time.

Back