Utility Trailer Tire Size

Define "Utility trailer". Weight loaded, roads and distance traveled, etc.

12" wheels IMO should be upgraded to 13 or 14" if used for any distance on a highway.

Why not have a safety margin?

Plus greater selection of wheels and tires, lower rpm.

Trailer manufacturers sure like to spec the minimum.........

Last edited:
I believe it was on etrailer there was a question about going from the 4.80 to the 5.30 and the response was that because the 5.30 is a wider/larger tire it would generate more heat then a 4.80

i would imagine that would only come into play in highway speeds above 55 mph.

oh hey a quick search and I found it.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-81455.html

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
I believe it was on etrailer there was a question about going from the 4.80 to the 5.30 and the response was that because the 5.30 is a wider/larger tire it would generate more heat then a 4.80

i would imagine that would only come into play in highway speeds above 55 mph.

oh hey a quick search and I found it.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-81455.html

Ah ...... Mmmmmm ...... This is totally wrong.

Long version: Barry's Tire Tech: Rolling Resistance and Fuel Economy (Continued)

Short version: The guy at etrailer is wrong. All other things being equal, a larger tire will have less rolling resistance than a larger one. Why? Because while the width (or whatever) is larger, the amount of tread rubber only a fraction larger - and the amount of tread rubber is one of the 3 largest contributors to RR. See the graph of RRC by tire size and notice that the larger tires have higher RRC values. (The argument that more tread rubber is in contact with the road is fundamentally flawed - that's not how RR works! )

Originally Posted by user52165

12" wheels IMO should be upgraded to 13 or 14" if used for any distance on a highway.

The bearings definitely like the lower RPM. I'm amazed that the bearings in my popup held up to 90 miles on the highway at 70MPH on 4.80-8 tires.

Originally Posted by user52165

It's just a standard 4X8 utility trailer. I don't know if I could get a 14" wheel under the fenders.
[Linked Image]

The 175-80/13 that came on my boat trailer were only $35 new and have much more capacity than any 12'' tire has. Not much larger either.

Back