Time to Dump or Repair?

+5 on the used subframe.

Get a good used part, and have an independent shop swap it in. The price will be MUCH cheaper. A dealer is the most expensive option, because their labor rates are crazy, and of course they will only use a brand new subframe. Your car doesn't need a brand new one, just one that isn't rusted out.

I agree with the used part replacement. Hire out to independent if you can't do the work yourself. That's a lot of value in a car that's wasted if it's junked. If it's just the rear subframe they can be swapped out easy enough.

Have to ask yourself if the hassle is worth the money you might save... If you're so ready to get rid of it and move on that you're willing to lose a couple grand (or whatever the dollar amount is), by all means walk away, most do. Probably why I see so many nice cars in my junkyard travels.

Thanks for all the suggestions. There are a lot of scrap yards near me filled with this generation Mazda6. I'm in contact with a couple junkyards to locate one for me.

It's 9 years old, you've gotten good use out of it, not worth the hassle and guessing what will fail next.
Dump it and get yourself a nice, new car. It's a buyers market, interest rates can't go lower, and there are a lot of nice cars out there!

You can make a good case for either way forward. If you are generally happy with it, I would repair. If you have an itch for something else, trade it in. Do keep in mind TTL alone would be about 1K, so that could go towards the repair. Just a thought.

Like others have said, get a subframe at a junkyard and have an independent put it in. I saw one being installed on a Mazda SUV (similar year) last year...it must be a Mazda thing (rear subframe). But it went in fairly easily and wasn't all that big of a deal.

140,000 miles isn't all that much. I replaced a front subframe on my 1999 Honda Accord several years ago...car had a lot more miles than yours (270,000). And it was a much tougher job...then again I did get the used subframe for free, but still even if I had to pay for it I'd still do it. Especially if the rest of the vehicle is in good condition and rust free, like you say it is.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by Rand
trade it in at a dealer, that isnt dumping it on anyone.

This

Yep. Let the idiot used car manager drive it around the block to see it shifts and has cold A/C. Fun to turn the tables!

They'll low ball you anyway assuming it a good car. Let them it will be worth far more lowballed then it is. Part of their business model to lowball to make up for duds and profit.

The first law of spending money to repair an older vehicle... NEVER spend more money on the vehicle than what it is worth!
Something else to consider, if the rear sub frame is rusted out, there is likely hidden rust in other parts of the vehicle.
Dump.

Rule 1: I'd much rather have my used car than someone else's

IMO if an actual NEW car is not in the cards and you're sure there are no other rust issues with this car, fix it if you like it. Do try to source a recycled crossmember in good condition and explore more cost effective labor than dealer.

Aside from the alignment this should be doable in a home garage (maybe not fun)...

Who in the world is telling you $3-4k for a cradle job? If that were the case, I'd be retired already
grin.gif

Take it to a bodyshop. They work with nationwide recyclers such as LKQ that can order you a used cradle from Arizona or something. They also have lower labor rates, are less likely to invent their own labor times than the dealership, and have a lot more experience replacing cradles than any dealership!

Update. I took my car in to a local independent shop and they will work with me to find a rust free junkyard subframe and install it for $670. There are plenty of used Mazda6 vehicles nearby in local yards but I will call on Monday and see if they are still available.

This repair is definitely worthwhile in my opinion. I'd hate to junk this car over $670 labor and $200 junkyard part.

Hopefully I can find the part I need. Tempted to POR15 it all before it is installed.

Last edited:
If this is a common rust out point on these cars, what makes you think a junkyard one will be found without rust???

I still say this is a waste of effort...it's a buyers market, you make good money, just get a new car!

Originally Posted by wag123
The first law of spending money to repair an older vehicle... NEVER spend more money on the vehicle than what it is worth!
Something else to consider, if the rear sub frame is rusted out, there is likely hidden rust in other parts of the vehicle.
Dump.

That is your opinion, not a universal rule. Everyone has a different situation. As another poster already mentioned, I would rather have my well cared for used car than someone else's with perhaps many unknown problems. If you can not afford a brand new or certified used car with warranty, fixing your old car may be the best solution, regardless of how the repair cost compares to the car's value. My well maintained old car is worth much more to me than it's book value.

Back