gas cans, nato style

Just replaced my gas cans with new ones. I have a lot of junky cans that spill so I decided to get some jerry cans. Supposed to be spill proof.

I got yellow because they were like half the price of the red ones I kept searching until I saw a reasonable price and then I would buy. I'll spray paint 1 or 2 of them red for gas and leave the 1 for diesel.

I ordered a spout because I was afraid of the safety spouts. I hate those things. Anyway strangely 2 of mine came with regular spouts and only one had the safety style
banana2.gif
I got these from 2 different vendors so that is probably why.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

those from a quality source? Quite a few of the "nato" style from China have been known to be less than durable.

edit: those look like the good ones.

The cheap ones are so weaksauce they can split from vapor pressure.

Where are Wavian Fuel Cans manufactured?

Wavian Fuel Cans are made in the very same factory that has been producing Steel Jerry Cans for NATO countries since WWI. Originally located in Germany, the cans' manufacturing facility had to move to Latvia during the second world war. They've been made there ever since. These are the original, genuine NATO Jerry Cans.

Originally Posted by Rand
those from a quality source? Quite a few of the "nato" style from China have been known to be less than durable.

edit: those look like the good ones.

The cheap ones are so weaksauce they can split from vapor pressure.

They are the ones made in Latvia

The 2 vendors who shipped to me were campingmaxx and 4wd.com. I did not purchase from those vendors but that is where they came from

I assume everyone knows why they're called Jerry Cans. The Germans (the Jerrys) had a superior kind of fuel container. They were picked up, when possible, by the allies during WWII for their own use. They are still made and are naturally known as Jerry Cans.

...and said Germans were so good at utilizing "off the shelf" technology the term "Gerry Rig" was coined.

People misuse the term often, calling something cleverly crafted together as "Jury rigged".

That error is real sloppy.

How much do real Latvian Gerry Cans cost?

Originally Posted by pharden
Any suggestions on where to get the best prices on the Jerry cans?

I was searching all the usual sources. I ended up buying these on amazon. I cleared out the 2 vendors that were selling them but if you keep looking I am sure more will show up.
They are still pretty costly for gas cans but you should be able to get them in the 60's if you are patient. When I saw them I did not hesitate. Edit: actually one of them was in the low 70's

Last edited:
I found both of those places linked above. Problem is everyone is OOS. I felt fourtunate to get the ones I did at a good price.

...and said Germans were so good at utilizing "off the shelf" technology the term "Gerry Rig" was coined. People misuse the term often, calling something cleverly crafted together as "Jury rigged". That error is real sloppy.

Kind of off topic, but this isn't really true. Jury rigged is an old nautical expression going back to at least a couple of centuries. As I understand it, it derives from an older English word "jory" meaning improvised. So, to jury rig something would be to make an improvised repair using whatever materials were at hand. Today, my son would call it "Macgyvered."

Kind of off topic, but this isn't really true. Jury rigged is an old nautical expression going back to at least a couple of centuries. As I understand it, it derives from an older English word "jory" meaning improvised. So, to jury rig something would be to make an improvised repair using whatever materials were at hand. Today, my son would call it "Macgyvered."
How is a 30 year old reference modern? :D I am probably the last generation that remembers Mcguyver and I am 37. I don’t know what it would be to kids today.

i was looking at the Wavian cans a while back but they were all out of stock when gas prices tanked.

Where are Wavian Fuel Cans manufactured?

Wavian Fuel Cans are made in the very same factory that has been producing Steel Jerry Cans for NATO countries since WWI. Originally located in Germany, the cans' manufacturing facility had to move to Latvia during the second world war. They've been made there ever since. These are the original, genuine NATO Jerry Cans.

Latvia was part of the soviet union, so doubt they supplied nato countries before the nineties...

Back