07 Mustang Fuel Pressure Sensor error

Got my first CEL in the Mustang today. Ran by autozone and it came up as the fuel rail pressure sensor. Anyone have a lot of experience with the 4.6L and this problem? Luckily the sensor sits right on top of everything, but Im not certain if that is the problem, hoping it is not the fuel pump. Changed the fuel filter about 5k miles ago. The car has had the tiniest stumble while cruising on the highway lately. No problems while idling or acceleration. thoughts?

3F2Z-9G756-AC / CM-5229 is your part number from Ford. Not an uncommon part to go bad, I stock it. It also fits a ton of other Fords of that era.

Last edited:
Test the pressure before replacing a sensor...your statement "The car has had the tiniest stumble while cruising on the highway lately. No problems while idling or acceleration" could be a clue to low fuel pressure which could be a regulator or a pump.

If the sensor IS the regulator, then that could be it.

Originally Posted by another Todd
Test the pressure before replacing a sensor...your statement "The car has had the tiniest stumble while cruising on the highway lately. No problems while idling or acceleration" could be a clue to low fuel pressure which could be a regulator or a pump.

That car has a returnless system. The sensor tells the PCM what the pressure in the rail is, and then the PCM sends a signal to the pump driver module to modulate the pulse width accordingly.

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
Bosch part ok to use? Or how about the 15 dollar one on amazon?

Bosch is the OEM manufacturer. If you look closely you can see "FoMoCo" on the part.

Just went thru replacing the fuel rail pressure sensor on a ford Escape. I bought the Bosch sensor from Rock Auto for $37.99 instead of going to local Advanced Auto for exact same Bosch sensor for just over $100. No more code P0193 since it was replaced.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

That car has a returnless system. The sensor tells the PCM what the pressure in the rail is, and then the PCM sends a signal to the pump driver module to modulate the pulse width accordingly.

Thanks for the info. Why do some return and others don't? I thought returning was a good thing to reduce the temperature of the fuel in the rails due to heat soak.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

Thanks for the info. Why do some return and others don't? I thought returning was a good thing to reduce the temperature of the fuel in the rails due to heat soak.

You are correct about the fuel staying cooler. When people really turn up the wick on these they convert to a return style system. All the cool Holley setups are return style too. I think the returnless thing is due to emissions.

ordered the bosch part from rockauto yesterday and selected the fedex ground shipping, they said it should be here tuesday (4 days from when i ordered). To my surprise the part was on my doorstep 25 hours after I ordered. Total price with shipping and tax just under $50.

Took all of 8 minutes to take the old sensor off and install the new sensor. Took her out for a quick test and she runs better than before. I noticed what seemed like a very small miss a couple of weeks ago, guess it was this sensor starting to go bad.

God I love this car.

Back