2007 Hyundai veracruz 0w40?

Hey Everybody
Got a question for all the experts on here. My current work vehicle is a 2007 Hyundai veracruz as described in the post title. Owners manual calls for 5w20, however 5w30 is also allowed and also 10w30 in warmer temperatures. It has the lamda 3.8 v6 engine with 177k on the odometer. I've personally put around 50k in it as I drive a lot of highway miles due to my job. It seems to like thicker oil, just basing this on engine quietness and nothing scientific. Current full is 5.5 quarts of Castrol gtx ultraclean 5w30 with a Fram TG9999 filter. I pretty much stick with the oci of around 7500 miles per the Owners manual. It's pretty quiet with this oil. I've also got 25 quarts of Supertech synthetic 5w30 stashed because I got it cheap but I also have been using 5w30 in my wife's escape so it definitely won't be wasted. My question is would there be any advantage in switching to a 0w40 for the hot summer months at least? Keep in mind my foot always seems very heavy and I frequently run 80 to 85 down long stretches of interstate. Any opinions are welcome.

Had this model car for 10 years ,used 5-20 always with 7500 oci. Ran great and hardly ever needed oil . Either 20 or30 will do fine,40 is your choice,i never entertained using it. On hiway always drove 75-80 with out using significant amount of oil.

Thanks for the input. Mine doesn't use any significant oil between changes either. I may stick with 5w30 but my curiosity about 0w40 has been getting the best of me.

If you look in the owners manual I believe that it shows a 40 wt oil can be used above freezing. I have used 0W-40 once in that engine, but I came back to 10-30 for summer and 5-30 rest of the year.

Originally Posted by walterjay
If you look in the owners manual I believe that it shows a 40 wt oil can be used above freezing. I have used 0W-40 once in that engine, but I came back to 10-30 for summer and 5-30 rest of the year.

That would be odd if it gave a grade designation without a winter rating. A 0W-40 has a lot larger usable ambient range than a 10W-40 (and a 10W-30 for that matter). Do you mean a monograde 40?

My owners manual doesn't seem to spec anything over 10w30. I was thinking however that a 0w40 is probably a higher quality than a 10w30. I know the genesis cars use a version of the 3.8 v6 and many of them seem to use 0w40 from what I could gather via some searching of the internet.

Most 0W-40 oils carry many stringent manufacturer approvals and specifications, they are for the most part excellent oils.

Also for the most part the grade charts in the owner's manual are recommendations and not requirements.

I ran Castrol 0w-40 in both my cars one very hot summer, I didn't notice engines to be quieter compared to running on PP 5w-30 which is a staple oil I run in those cars.
Gas mileage was at least comparable if not same. One thing I noticed engines ran hotter even on cool days with cooling system working overtime. My guess is thicker oil doesn't cool off as easy as thinner ones.
Thing is running engines hotter can cause cylinder walls scoring.

Originally Posted by dubber09
I ran Castrol 0w-40 in both my cars one very hot summer, I didn't notice engines to be quieter compared to running on PP 5w-30 which is a staple oil I run in those cars.
Gas mileage was at least comparable if not same. One thing I noticed engines ran hotter even on cool days with cooling system working overtime. My guess is thicker oil doesn't cool off as easy as thinner ones.

Yes this is a normal characteristic of higher grade oils. Results in higher oil temperatures. You see it with 50 Grade on the Track. You need for near 300F Sump Temps but you will run higher sump temps than 30 Grade.

Quieter with higher grade is also a characteristic. It simply dampens more sound like a heavier blanket. Some people find it noticable and some not.

Originally Posted by Gene K

Yes this is a normal characteristic of higher grade oils. Results in higher oil temperatures. You see it with 50 Grade on the Track. You need for near 300F Sump Temps but you will run higher sump temps than 30 Grade.

Quieter with higher grade is also a characteristic. It simply dampens more sound like a heavier blanket. Some people find it noticable and some not.

I do agree with the higher oil temps for thicker oil. But I would guess that 0w40 uses better basestock which may help offset this somewhat. I'm also going by the basis that we don't see a ton of European cars having issues due to oil temps and a good portion of them run this oil weight. I'm of course just speculating. I assume with the high mileage that the clearances between moving parts are most likely greater than they were when it was new. But of course my vehicle also isn't European.

Originally Posted by Envoyguy
Originally Posted by Gene K

I do agree with the higher oil temps for thicker oil. But I would guess that 0w40 uses better basestock which may help offset this somewhat. I'm also going by the basis that we don't see a ton of European cars having issues due to oil temps and a good portion of them run this oil weight. I'm of course just speculating. I assume with the high mileage that the clearances between moving parts are most likely greater than they were when it was new. But of course my vehicle also isn't European.

You gain more operational viscosity from a 3.6 HTHS Oil over a 3.0 HTHS oil than 8F in oil temp cost you.

We have the next generation of that engine and they are absolutely not picky about oil. In our manual they quickly suggest moving up from the CAFE recommended 5w20 for warmer temps or towing. That says it all right there IMO, the engine will be fine on 5w20 but is not really designed for it.

I have run just about everything imaginable in ours and it runs and drives the same, it simply does not seem to care. I like a good Euro oil myself.

Thanks KCJeep,

I was pretty much thinking about the same thing. I've ran 0w20 to 5w30 in it and it never seems to complain. I've been sticking to 5w30 lately just because of the high mileage. Been trying to give her a little extra attention lately. New air filter, oil change, new tires and new rear brakes in the past few weeks. I have new front brakes on the way via Amazon. Runs like a champ despite the age and mileage. I'm considering 0w-40 just to help her going longer.

Most 0w40 is just a hair over the limit to be a thick thirty and with the wide viscosity index it tends to shear back to a thick 30 pretty quickly, maybe use a 5w30 high mileage oil or 10w30 high mileage oil during the summer, I know Mobil1 HM tends to run on the thicker side.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Most 0w40 is just a hair over the limit to be a thick thirty and with the wide viscosity index it tends to shear back to a thick 30 pretty quickly, maybe use a 5w30 high mileage oil or 10w30 high mileage oil during the summer, I know Mobil1 HM tends to run on the thicker side.

I have also considered running a 10w30 for the summer months. At least they usually have a lower noack. Not sure if there's much else different besides cold flow and possibly little higher HTHS. Guess I just need to start comparing some specs and see what appeals to me. I was thinking Castrol edge 0w-40 if I do decide to go that route. It's not really anymore expensive than most any other name brand 5w30 and easily obtainable. I do have some high mileage and regular Supertech 5w30 that I picked up cheap. But at least some of that I'm saving for my wife's Ford Escape. Calls for 5w20 but I've been running it with 5w30. It doesn't get the long highway trips that mine gets. Only about a 24 mile round trip to and from work. I figured the 5w30 might hold up a little better to any fuel dilution.

Well, I finally made the plunge to Castrol edge 0w-40. The Veracruz seems to like it, at least based on valvetrain noise. I have a uoa kit coming from Blackstone and I'll try to post it when I get the results after the end of my oci.

Back