LCD burn in? Seriously?

I have a 49" LED lit LG 4K lcd tv, about 2.5 years old. Really nice tv. Today I had some free time, and decided to watch this weekend's IMSA race on YouTube (No commercials). It's a 2 hour 40 minute race, that I watched over about 3 hours or so. I had to pause it a few times, and the tv will default to a screensaver after about 5 mins. However, I noticed toward the end of the race that the screen now has burn in all along the left side where the positions of the drivers are listed. These are short horizontal lines, some of which never move or shift even when the driver names change. And there were no commercials, so it stayed up the whole time. I've watched races in their entirety longer than this several times and this has never happened. Will this disappear after awhile, or is it time to TV shop?

Modern LCDs shouldn't suffer permanent screen burn-in, especially not after a mere 2-1/2 hour semi-static image. Each pixel does not generate it's own light as do plasma and OLED, so there is nothing to burn in per se. They can suffer image retention where individual pixels no longer revert to their off (or relaxed) state, but this is not common. Most "burn-in" under common usage scenarios (such as the race you're describing) should be temporary. That's not to say it's impossible for one to "burn-in" just really unlikely.

LG LCD panels are usually IPS and have tendency to suffer from image retention, not burn in. Should go away.

Originally Posted by dippschtick
LG LCD panels are usually IPS and have tendency to suffer from image retention, not burn in. Should go away.

You're right, it did. I played an XBOX game in HDR mode with my son for about a half hour. Lots of moving images and shifting bright colors. Went back to regular tv and all seems well. So weird. I watch racing quite often on this tv, with the leaderboard static in one position, and have never had this happen before.

Here's another small example...

Back at the beginning of WFH, I brought a mass spectrometer home to do some upgrade work on it and the like. I had it set up with an older Dell 17" panel so I could see what was going on.

At one point or another, I had performed a tune on it, left the final tune mass spectrum, which is a series of vertical white lines against a black backgorund, up for a number of days(at least a weekend, maybe longer). I wasn't in the room with it, and didn't realize that the auto screen off either was not working or had been turned off.

For several days afterwards, I could see the "ghost" of a mass spectrum in everything I did.

It cleared up in a week or so. The mass spectrometer is now at work, the screen is hooked up to another computer, and there's no evidence of it.

It will go away.

Back