anyone noticed worse acceleration with fram ultra?

My favorite prognosis for scenarios like these:

The car was driven briefly to put in into position to do the oil change.

This can include a quick run to the store for a loaf of bread or just getting the car on ramps. The engine heats up, possibly incompletely.

Then there's a delay whilst the oil changer gathers his gear. The car cools a bit. Some sensors are betwixt-and-beween.

After the work is done the oil changer starts the vehicle and experiences an engine running on varied signals. It smooths out real fast as the engine heats up "normally".

If you were sucking enough horsepower to feel the difference, the oil pump drive would soon be toast along with the oil pump.

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
If you were sucking enough horsepower to feel the difference, the oil pump drive would soon be toast along with the oil pump.

Imagine how much that would take to cause that. Imagine how much heat it would generate. The thing would be on fire.

What ? Mine is faster now … I can feel it … smooth, quiet, fast, 6 MPG gain … get woke here JJ ...·

You say the car only has 8k miles so I'm guessing this is the second oil change at most ?

I'm the OP. No other changes were made. I warmed up the vehicle for a few minutes. Drove the vehicle up the ramps. Drained the oil/removed the old filter. Installed a new primed xg6607 filter. Added Mobil 1 0w-20. Removed vehicle from ramps. It started fine and there were no issues. I let the car idle for a few minutes. I then checked the oil and verified that it was up to the full line on the dipstick (I had to add 1/4 of a quart to get there). I needed right at the OEM spec of 4.5 quarts after an oil/filter change. I backed the vehicle out of my garage and then put the vehicle in drive. As soon as I started accelerating down the road, the car hesitated several times, and it only lasted for ~ a 1/2 mile. Once again, I'm not blaming the oil or filter bc I really don't know why it was hesitating. I just find it odd that in 8K miles, this is the first time it has happened, and that was immediately after the oil change. I didn't disconnect the battery or anything else on the vehicle. It was simply an oil/filter change and resetting the oil light in the car.

Why did I use the Mobil 1? It is convenient to get it locally. I'll likely not use the factory Mazda oil in the near future as I just found several jugs of 0-20 Mobil 1 AP on clearance.

The car has been running fine since after that first 1/2 mile. I'm hoping it was just a random fluke.

Originally Posted by cals400ex
After changing the oil/filter, I had a noticeable hesitation and lack of acceleration when accelerating for the first 1/2 mile that I drove the car.

The hesitation only lasted about a 1/2 of a mile, and I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary since.

So this happened one time and never again? Maybe it took a little bit for the entire oiling system to 'settle in' with a little running time after the oil change.

Even though it was 90F outside, the engine is still 'cold', and if you are trying to accelerate with a cold engine it could be the variable valve timing isn't operating 100% because some cars use engine temperature as part of the control inputs of the system.

Originally Posted by cals400ex
However, why did this happen right after the oil/filter change? Maybe it took a little time for the oil to penetrate/flow well through the more restrictive, small xg6607 filter, causing the lack of acceleration?

Your car has a positive displacement oil pump, which forces oil through the filter and engine. Really no way for a new oil filter to be so restrictive that it's reducing oil flow at RPM that is well below the red line realm. Engine oiling systems are not like the water system in your house where a restricted filter might reduce flow.

Originally Posted by kschachn
This whole thread needs to be dragged out back and shot.

I just can't...

Sure you can !!

Back