how often to grease moog suspension and does grease matter?

hey guys! so i recently swapped out some from suspension parts in my hummer h2.
i put in new lower ball joints, new upper control arms with ball joints, new tie rods and tie rod ends.
now since this moog i believe i have to grease every single thing, so how often is good enough?
moog recommends every oil change but wondering if thats too frequent or just right?
and also does grease matter that much or just whatever the oil change place has, is good enough?

thx!

Last edited by a moderator:
might depend upon how often you change oil! Also what conditions they encounter.

I like the Schaeffers grease with Moly.

Feel the rubber bladders when you are under the
Vehicle doing a change. They should be plump. If not give them a couple of pumps of grease. We have many posts about grease. Google bobisthe grease.

If I don't grease (Valvoline SynPower) my Moog tie rods every 5k miles, I notice the steering gets notchy. I add a few squirts; enough to make the boots plump.

In hindsight, I should've just gone with sealed units.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
might depend upon how often you change oil! Also what conditions they encounter.

I like the Schaeffers grease with Moly.

+1 I use the 238 in everything suspension related.

Moog recommends greasing @ every oil change and to use premium heavy-duty lithium or synthetic grease. I always try to remember to grease my suspension parts every 6 months.

You don't need special grease, whatever lithium complex the oil change place has is good enough, but if you have greaseable parts where there weren't from the factory, OR you just get some cowboy oil & lube tech who assumes nothing ever needs greased, you will have to tell them to make sure to grease them and check their work. Heck, I've even taken a vehicle with the factory greaseable BJs to a dealer shop for an oil and lube and they didn't lube them. Granted that was years ago bu t just goes to show that you can't assume they're doing what they're supposed to.

I do about 10K for BJs & TREs, don't worry about 15K miles, but on some vehicles I also have polyurethane suspension bushings and those need silicone grease, far more often like whenever I start to hear them squeaking so I end up doing that about once a year even if there's low mileage.

You do not need to relube your tie rods, only the TR ends, but inspect those and CV axle boots for grease loss or tears soon to cause it.

Ultimately, your best bet is be conservative in every way. Get HQ synthetic moly grease, and do your own oil and lube. Less to go wrong if you don't trust anybody else to not make mistakes, and not let them poke around your vehicle trying to upsell you a new air filter then forgetting to tell you that they broke the air filter box latches off so the filter isn't filtering anything.

Last edited:
I grease mine every tire rotation (about 7500 mi). On my Pacifica I can't even get to the zirks without taking the wheels off, which is why I don't do every oil change.

I use Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty which is a polyurea grease that's compatible with Lithium and the other common greases you'd find in suspension parts. It's wheel bearing and chassis rated. I use it because it seems to stay in place better and last longer. Plus it's readily available at Walmart and other places for only a few bucks.

I've forgotten a time or two, maybe going 15k or more in between greasing and it's never caused me any problems, nor have a I noticed any noise or additional wear from the suspension. Always seems to be sufficient grease in there as long as the boots aren't compromised.

I do the tie-rods on my 2005 Jeep every 5,000 miles when the oil is changed. It's easy enough to do. I used Lucas red & Tacky.

How often you grease the chassis depends on usage.
My brother owns a tractor trailer. He greases his truck once a month, because of heavy usage. My vehicles, which don't go off road or through high water, and rarely go on a dirt road, get greased every 6 months, or 5,000 miles - whichever comes first.
If you take your vehicle off road, or frequently drive on unpaved roads, you should grease your vehicle more often. If you drive through high water, you should grease your vehicle as soon as possible.
2 or 3 strokes on a leaver type grease gun is typically sufficient. Vehicles which drive through high water need to have the old grease purged, and new grease put in. Moog makes this easy: https://www.moogparts.com/technical...quirements-for-steering-suspension-parts.html

I use Mobile1 synthetic grease. My brother uses the green Lucas grease on his tractor trailer.

Back