Engine Restorer = Glittery oil?

Originally Posted by dogememe
It seemed to improve compression but the effect seems over once you drain the oil so it seems like you need to use it full time...

Thats right. It does not claim to be a permanent fix for low or uneven compression.

Originally Posted by gfh77665

Compression restoration was indeed measured...by the consumers themselves. Restore had so much confidence in their product they once gave out compression gagues with the purchase so the consumer to see for hisself. There are also YouTube videos, and Project Farm in particular endorsed it. Its been quantified.

OK, so untrained, unvetteted people who arguably could have a bias ( because they are purchasers) "self tested" to unknown standards with unknown methods with unverified equipment to produce a "result".

And ( reference to bolded part) that certainly doesn't help anyone's credibility

Originally Posted by nastyc5
Now I'm wondering if that color is due to water. I just installed a cylinder head and used copper spray on the gasket.

This could be the answer you're seeking.

I used it once in my Caprice and the oil stayed normal looking. I was curious if i would notice what you're talking about. I once did an oil change on an old Dodge camper van with a 318, in the express lube. The oil looked gray and glittery before I drained it. I was hoping it was a product like restore someone used. They were heading to the east coast, a couple day drive.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

It's full of soft metals that temporarily fill in scratches, scars and voids in metal which would increase compression. It is NOT, despite advocacy to the contrary, a long-term maintenance product for high mileage engines, it's a product designed specifically to bandaide damaged engines and provides zero value in an engine that is mechanically sound, regardless of mileage.

Its not designed for "damaged engines" nothing out of a can can fix that, and Restore does not claim that at all.
Its is for worn engines. A 250K mile engine may very well be "mechanically sound" but worn. For example my roof is 15 years old, but no leaks at all. It is "mechanically sound" but is worn. Not hard to understand this.

If its temporary, then why wouldn't it be added at each change? Thats exactly the instructions it gives. Can you explain how a product that "increase compression" (your own words) is NOT beneficial?

You've obviously got skin the game, being an advocate, so your position here is not going to be unbiased.

An engine with reduced compression due to scarred bores is not "mechanically sound". You might want to call it worn, but the reality is that it has experienced damage. Restore works, as I already explained, by filling those voids with soft metals, which increases ring seal and thus raises compression. To use your roof analogy, let's say your roof IS leaking, but very little, and you go up and dump some tar on the spot that's leaking. It's going to stop leaking, but it will eventually develop another leak because the roof is damaged and needs replacement, so you can keep dumping tar on it, but it is only buying you time. This is not a maintenance plan, this is a bandaid to deal with a roof that is at the end of its life, Restore operates on the same premise with engines.

I've torn down numerous high mileage engines and those that were subject to good air filtration and maintenance will have bores in impeccable shape. The bores on my most recently owned 302, which had 346,000Km on it, were immaculate, no wizard in a can was going to make it better, and it still had factor spec compression. On an engine with bores in good condition, there is nothing to "Restore".

On the other hand, on an engine that's been neglected, may have significant blow-by and lower than spec compression due to bores in less than perfect shape, Restore isn't going to undo the damage caused by neglect, but it may reduce the blow by enough for a time to allow somebody to save up to buy a new vehicle, or stop oil burning for long enough for the same reason.

The product provides no benefit for a mechanically healthy engine, regardless of the mileage on it. There is no benefit of having soft metals comprising a significant portion of your lubricating oil if you aren't trying to temporarily mitigate damage. The reason the product needs to be added at every change is because those soft metals eventually get consumed by the engine and make their way out the exhaust, so you need to refresh them. If burning soft metals doesn't sound like a great long-term plan, particularly for emissions components, you'd be correct. But, at the mileage, age and condition of the engine that most would be adding this product to, emissions warranty would be long over and nobody with a 20 year old vehicle burning oil is going to be able to make a case that their catalytic converter suffered death by Restore, nor would they bother, since they were already trying to drag it that extra mile by pursuing that route in the first place.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

You've obviously got skin the game, being an advocate, so your position here is not going to be unbiased.

I did not read your whole long post. Too much to interest me, I stopped at the first line. For the record, I have ZERO "skin in the game". You are 100% wrong, again. don't care if you use it or not. I have ZERO affiliation with it.

The purpose of BITOG is automotive and oil discussions. Restore works, period. I share good information when I have it. Restore works. Small minded people lable ALL additives "snake oil", without ever using them or having any proof. Thats what I discussed.

Originally Posted by maintenanceMan
Project farm did a review of this stuff. It does work. One of the very few things out there to have a measurable result.

Thats right. Some idiots here have lied to themselves and are missing out on a great product. But its their loss, so I don't care a bit.

I did not read your whole long post. Too much to interest me, I stopped at the first line. For the record, I have ZERO "skin in the game". You are 100% wrong, again. don't care if you use it or not. I have ZERO affiliation with it.

If you use the product, you've already mentally invested in it, that doesn't mean you are financially benefiting from promoting it, simply that by using it, and believing that it works, your position is clearly not free of bias.

BTW, I always read posts in their entirety out of courtesy, even if I know I'm going to wholly disagree with the poster. You might want to try it sometime, it makes these exchanges far more in the way of an actual debate rather than somebody who already has their mind made up shoving their fingers in their ears because somebody else's views run contrary to the narrative they've already invested in.

The purpose of BITOG is automotive and oil discussions. Restore works, period. I share good information when I have it. Restore works. Small minded people lable ALL additives "snake oil", without ever using them or having any proof. Thats what I discussed.

The purpose of BITOG is to share information and engage in friendly debate. This means partaking in discussions like this one in good faith and being willing to consider what has been presented by others, not calling other people idiots because they don't happen to share the view that you walked in with.

Restore works to temporarily fill voids and thus increase compression on engines that have experienced some degree of mechanical damage and are suffering reduced compression, blow-by and often oil consumption due to that. This in no way implies that the product is suitable for use in a mechanically sound engine, and certainly not that it would provide a benefit in doing so.

Saying it works, period, without acknowledging the caveats as to suitability is like say an M1 Abrams works for hunting deer and ignoring the fact you won't have useful meat after doing so. Details are important. "working" without a qualifier doesn't capture suitability, which in the case of our tank example is a rather glaring omission, similar to advocating the use of a product consisting of soft metals without noting that it is designed to aide engines on their last legs make it a few more miles down the road.

I tried this stuff for a few OCIs on my oil burning BMW 318i, near the end. The engine ran great, it just lost a lot of oil (IIRC a quart/500 miles) - no leaks, no smokes, perfect dyno smog results...

I was doing a lot of highway driving, and the 4.10 gearing kept RPMs pretty high, so I think it was just high RPM use...

I never noticed sparkles in the oil, and I never noticed any indication of clogs in the filter.

I do think it slowed the oil consumption marginally, but not necessarily enough to warrant its long term use in that application.

I agree with OVERKILL's assessment that its not really valuable for a sound engine, and not a long term maintenance product.

That said, I do wonder if it would be useful occasionally as a "treatment", for older high mileage engines, where an occasional score of the babbit or other minor damage might exist. Not sure anyone could determine that worth though...

I shudder to think how using this in a healthy engine could be advantageous ? Those soft metals would be wreaking havoc with the bearings and such.

As mentioned already, it's a last chance option for a engine that is on its way out hopefully to give the owner time to find another vehicle or rebuild the motor.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

That said, I do wonder if it would be useful occasionally as a "treatment", for older high mileage engines, where an occasional score of the babbit or other minor damage might exist. Not sure anyone could determine that worth though...

I can't see it helping much with bearings as it isn't going to tighten up clearances and I'm not sure filling scores in babbit temporarily would have any real benefit?
21.gif
But a bore scope is cheap and if somebody did have some light scoring, it could help nurse it along and improve its operation until a more long-term solution like a rebuild, replacement engine or whole vehicle replacement can be realized.

I recall the liners that Doug Hillary posted here some years back from the Detroit with 1.2 million Km's on it. Compression was factory spec still and the liners were pristine. This is how basically every 302 I've ever torn down has looked, the short stroke and big bore seem to result in basically zero bore wear regardless of mileage, and typically the cross-hatching is still visible. On a well-maintained engine, there should be nothing to bandaid, making products like these unnecessary. But hey, if you had an old farm tractor that was puffing or down on compression and rebuilding it wasn't in the cards, I expect it might help a bit. I used it probably 25 years ago on a 3.5HP Briggs that puffed and it reduced the smoke and oil consumption, allowed me to get a few more summers out of it.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Yeah. I cant recommend Restore. Seems to clog oil filters.

Seriously? When / where did this "seem" to have happened? I have read a lot about the product and have never ran across a mention of this before. In fact, they say its specifically designed with particles that are significantly smaller than the pores in the media of all filters. I would also think that both Restore and Rilsone would both have a ton of lawsuits if their products were clogging filters and starving engines of oil.

Restore is a proven product that is beneficial to high mileage engines. I have used it every other oil change when I reach 150K miles. When used as directed its totally safe.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3061085

Originally Posted by maintenanceMan
Project farm did a review of this stuff. It does work. One of the very few things out there to have a measurable result.

Thats right. Some idiots here have lied to themselves and are missing out on a great product. But its their loss, so I don't care a bit.

Let's not get personal with name calling.

This product stems from a 1980 patent which originally had lead and copper spheroids suspended in an oil carrier (what we call a "colloid.") and they later added some silver particles as well, but the silver ratio is very low.

A thin film of this colloidal material spread out on a glass plate will glitter in bright sunlight.

The original patent had the diameter of the spheroids as high as 20 microns so a large percentage of the suspended spheroids could conceivably be trapped by a filter's synthetic media.

This product was for use in a highly worn engines and I don't see any useful application in any engine that is not worn and on its last "leg."

The theory was the soft metallic particles would fill worn surface voids such as scratches in cylinder walls and increase compression Temporariiy and until the engine could be rebuilt. There were no factual tests that showed this product could rebuild bearings.

Using this stuff in a non-worn engine simply increases the particulate load which may be filtered-out by more modern filter media, and may actually interfere with the clearances between say the piston ring and the cylinder wall in a good engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by John_Conrad
https://www.restoreusa.com/faq/engine-restorer-faq

on the restoreusa faq page, they say particle size is on average div>

Okay so they have reduced particle size to about 8 microns since the patent was filed..

It is still not needed in an engine unless it is a bad smoker and gasping its last breath.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mainia
Well............... Please give a review on if it worked and what did it change if any?

Well it's been known to raise compression in cylinders. However I'm not a fan out how it looks in the oil. I did notice a couple pounds less of oil pressure with it so maybe it does slightly clogged filters. I won't be using it again plus now I'm running Red Line.

from the restore faq page

"RESTORE contains detergent additives which can dissolve sludge and hold dirt particulates in suspension within the oil. Any sludge and dirt particulates held in suspension will be trapped in the oil filter. In the unlikely event there's an indication of abnormally low oil pressure after adding RESTORE, this is a result of too much sludge in the oil filter so it is best to change the oil & install a clean filter. Oil filters are designed with a by-pass valve to maintain oil flow to the engine in case the oil filter becomes clogged with excessive amounts of sludge."

looks like u had an unlikely event requiring an immediate oil and filter change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by John_Conrad
Originally Posted by Mainia
Well............... Please give a review on if it worked and what did it change if any?

Well it's been known to raise compression in cylinders. However I'm not a fan out how it looks in the oil. I did notice a couple pounds less of oil pressure with it so maybe it does slightly clogged filters. I won't be using it again plus now I'm running Red Line.

from the restore faq page

"RESTORE contains detergent additives which can dissolve sludge and hold dirt particulates in suspension within the oil. Any sludge and dirt particulates held in suspension will be trapped in the oil filter. In the unlikely event there's an indication of abnormally low oil pressure after adding RESTORE, this is a result of too much sludge in the oil filter so it is best to change the oil & install a clean filter. Oil filters are designed with a by-pass valve to maintain oil flow to the engine in case the oil filter becomes clogged with excessive amounts of sludge."

looks like u had an unlikely event requiring an immediate oil and filter change.

That's interesting, the detergents. I'm thinking they're covering their arses in the event a filter gets clogged from the soft metallic particles used in the product itself. It might have some merit in an engine on its death bed, in anything else, the risk imo would be greater than the reward.

its possible dp, but i doubt it. i have used in my old 400k plus mile car and it didn't kill it, the car still runs good today. i used according to instructions, which many people have a hard time following these days. i have no doubt that if you over dose, you might end up with a glob in the oil pan but i did not find that in my pan and i did a oil pan gasket removal and replacement last summer. the thing i always did was add it prior to a long trip.

in addition, the engine restorer msds shows that its make up is 85-95% heavy napthenic oil, likely mineral oil as the delivery substance for the 5-15% 'proprietary trade secret' they add which is the lead, copper, and silver mr mola added above.

http://weblink.carquest.com/msds/RSR/RSR 00016.pdf

Last edited:
Used this on a old 76 jeep with a 258 engine back in the late 80's when I was much younger. Well the Oberg filter I had on the jeep immediately went into bypass because it filtered out the all the particles in the additive bigger than 15 microns. Lesson learned

Back