Toyota Caliper Pin Question

I messed up and got tangled up in my garage floor while doing brake job. Not very graceful.

How do I know which hole the caliper pin with the rubber bushing goes in? Upper or lower?

One pin is all metal and the other has a little rubber ring on the end.

I'm pretty sure you can find a Youtube video that will answer that question.

I know you've been doing this as a special help to someone, but this is exactly why I really hate working on any car without the FSM.

NOTICE: At the time of reassembly, please refer to the following item:
Insert the sliding pin with sliding bushing into the bottom side (5S-FE engine) or top side (1MZ-FE engine).

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Lower pin

No not on the 1MZ-FE (6-cylinder) which is what he said this Camry has. For whatever reason it goes on the top. It's reversed for the 5S-FE (4-cylinder) engine:

[Linked Image]

Thanks! kschachn
grin.gif

It's weird. This is why it is confusing. Some say upper and some say lower.

oops, edit...

I'm gonna PM you...

Last edited:
I have the OEM shop manual for my 04 Camry V6 and for that year, the bushing is carried by the lower pin. Guess it doesn't matter.

The brake caliper changed in 2002 for the Camry. Is that caliper on the rear or front of the rotor?

Lower pin

Originally Posted by Gebo
It's weird. This is why it is confusing. Some say upper and some say lower.

I have the OEM shop manual for my 04 Camry V6 and for that year, the bushing is carried by the lower pin. Guess it doesn't matter.

There's simply no rule as you can see
grin.gif

Yah-Tah-Hey and kschachn are doing it the right way though by referencing the specific FSM for your model of vehicle. Or if you don't have one, you can usually see these specifics if you look up a parts diagram (the type you can find at many OEM-specific parts sites).

Well I'd say it does mater but why it matters I would not know. The diagrams and note I posted are applicable to his 1999 vehicle.

Originally Posted by Donald
Look at other side?

This is what I do when I mix 'em up. Of course the other side may be wrong.
I Google it for am image.

This recently happened on our 2006 TSX. Bushing pin goes on the bottom. I think?
My guess is, it ain't the end of the world...
Good luck.

I think there was a generation change in 2002 (?). Maybe that explains that. They could also change willy-nilly, year to year, although that seems unlikely.

I *think* the V6's may have had larger brakes, which might mean different calipers. Odd that Toyota would not standardized on this, but then again, maybe they didn't because it did matter. Dunno.

C'mon, I might not the the sharpest...

I had all 4 pins laying out on my garage floor all in a neat little row. My leg got a cramp and kicked them all into a shuffled deck pile. I have no comparison capability

I was being very careful and had each pin laying right beside its proper hole but sometimes even the best laid plans...

LOL, this job is starting to test my patience. So far, so good. No swear words or anger yet.

Originally Posted by supton

I think there was a generation change in 2002 (?). Maybe that explains that. They could also change willy-nilly, year to year, although that seems unlikely.

I *think* the V6's may have had larger brakes, which might mean different calipers. Odd that Toyota would not standardized on this, but then again, maybe they didn't because it did matter. Dunno.

I'm betting with you.

In general I thought that bushing goes on the leading pin? Leading as in relative to the direction of torque being applied to the rotor when braking.

Originally Posted by supton

Brakes are almost a "commodity" part. There's generally nothing special or unique about them and the auto makers can actually have a brake manufacturer "design" them for them. One puts the bushed pin in one position while another puts it in the opposite position.

Forget upper and lower, that's too confusing...obviously by the comments. Call them leading and trailing. Most cars have them on the leading pin, but Toyota's always seem to be on the trailing pin.

Originally Posted by Silk
Forget upper and lower, that's too confusing...obviously by the comments. Call them leading and trailing. Most cars have them on the leading pin, but Toyota's always seem to be on the trailing pin.

Toyota always seems to have them on the trailing (bottom)? That wouldn't be true which the picture someone had posted in this thread.

Back