Brake Won't Bleed

Originally Posted by Gebo

The original caliper was fine. Just loosened brake bleeder and used C Clamp to push the piston down. No problem.

Opening the brake bleeder is a normal part of replacing pads and rotors for you? Am I understanding this correctly?

Originally Posted by TurboTravis

The original caliper was fine. Just loosened brake bleeder and used C Clamp to push the piston down. No problem.

Opening the brake bleeder is a normal part of replacing pads and rotors for you? Am I understanding this correctly?

I only recently heard of this practice, but it makes sense. The fluid degrades the most (it seems) in the caliper--even if the stuff in the master cylinder picks up moisture, it's a long ways from the caliper, where it might boil and cause spongy brakes. So the stuff in the caliper is arguably the fluid that needs most changing (although moisture in the line anywhere is problematic, from a corrosion standpoint). By cracking the bleeder the old stuff is pushed out instead of up the line. Push piston in, assemble the works, step on the brake, then refill the cylinder. [If possible now would be a good time to empty the master cylinder and fill with fresh stuff.]

But given how many brake jobs are done sans this step it's hardly the end of the world if it's skipped.

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
Gebo, give me her number and I will call and tell her its going to cost more. I spent so many years in sales that it just comes naturally now.
lol.gif

BR549

Single Mom. Dead beat Dad. Just started her new job. And.....drum roll..... with a snare and a cymbal...I'm her Pastor. And actually, my son offered to pay so all I get to do is have fun.

That's a bummer on her, but glad someone is able to pick up the tab. If it was me, I'd weigh out the options, and either offer a payment plan or just pick up the tab myself.

Although I'd probably just go to Autozone or the like for a reman. Might not be quality parts but might be good enough. [Actually I have a pair of remans on my '99 and they seem ok. They are rusting very quickly but that is just cosmetic. I think...]

No. Yes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Barkleymut
Gebo, give me her number and I will call and tell her its going to cost more. I spent so many years in sales that it just comes naturally now.
lol.gif

BR549

Single Mom. Dead beat Dad. Just started her new job. And.....drum roll..... with a snare and a cymbal...I'm her Pastor. And actually, my son offered to pay so all I get to do is have fun.

That's a bummer on her, but glad someone is able to pick up the tab. If it was me, I'd weigh out the options, and either offer a payment plan or just pick up the tab myself.

Although I'd probably just go to Autozone or the like for a reman. Might not be quality parts but might be good enough. [Actually I have a pair of remans on my '99 and they seem ok. They are rusting very quickly but that is just cosmetic. I think...]

Had my wife pick one up from AAP last night. Done in China. Returning this morning. Gonna try NAPA next. Only problem is the nearest one is 30 miles away.

Last edited:

I have read that you take a risk of pushing bad stuff into the ABS unit and wrecking it if forgoing the open bleeder method. Maybe an expert can confirm this.

FYI, I only opened bleeder to try and help reduce my effort trying to push the piston back in.

And I change my brake fluids every 2 years. Swap out what's in the master cylinder about twice a year.

Last edited:

Some people believe it's the right way to do the job. Some don't....

Back