Kia, Hyundai, Mazda - Used Car Candidates

When we bought my wife's car, we checked out the Mazda 6. It was very nice inside and drove well. My wife ended up picking the Optima SXL, which has a superior interior and definitely more oomph. The Mazda was right there on the list though.

We have no brand loyalty and both choices are excellent, so I would definitely have your son test each one and see what he likes. They are all bad choices if he has to drive something you pick for him.
We bought my daughter a car for graduation (college) and she drove away with a Chrysler 200. She tested many and it's what she wanted!
Knock on wood, it's been a very good car. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Wrenchturner44
Hello Everyone,

Looking for some advice for replacement vehicle for my son. Looking at used models from the three brands above. I have since ruled out most Nissan's due to past and recent CVT reliability issues, Honda questionable quality in last 5 years and major component sharing with other makes where said components had questionable quality, Toyota - generally beyond my price / budget for equal size models and mileage, Mitsubishi - few dealers here in major metro area where I live, and seems to have the lowest used population to pick from.

Given my focus, I also want to stay away from any models from these makes that may have CVT transmissions, direct fuel injected engines that have proved problematic due to valve deposits, and any other model specific issues.....i.e. my belief is Kia had huge problem with door latch / striker corrosion a few years back.

Kia, and Hyundai are also starting to use CVTs in some of their smaller platforms.....no doubt be cause of cost and MPG requirements. I am not sure if these are of their own design or they use Aisin as the supplier. Also, are there any issues / recommendations to stay away from regarding models with direct injection that also have questionable reliability?

Thanks in advance to all for your thoughts.

Let your son pick out the vehicle he wants.
If it's a low-rider Chevy Cavalier, then so be-it.
If it's a sporty Ford Mustang or Dodge Charger, so be-it.

Right after high school graduation, I was mentally driven hard to 1st-own a 1965 Ford Fairlane, when I deeply desired a Plymouth Barracuda Fastback. The year was 1969. I hated that Ford with a passion, for it was catered to be driven by 30-40 year-old married folks, not a 17 year-old entering college.

Don't do that to your kid. Even if asks your opinion of body style, stay out of the decision. If he asks you about the mechanical history of a vehicle, point him to Google.com Search, carcomplaints.com.....etc.

I don't care if it's your money paying for it. If he's old enough to be primary driver, let him .... him-alone, pick out the vehicle. Just look it over mechanically, prior to buying it - if the vehicle title will be his. Evenb if the title is your name, let son pick out the vehicle, if he's primary driver.

Last edited:
I've noticed you only listed Asian brands. Is there a preconception you aren't telling us?

Toyotas have dropped in price (popularity) up where I live, and I appreciate the repair-ability they engineer into many of their models.

Mazdas are good cars, generally. So that's what I would choose from your pool. Model 3, or an older 626 or Protege.

With a fixed budget, I would choose a higher mileage Toyota (with maintenance records) over a lower mileage Kia or Hyundai. I'm not a fanboy, I have good experience with older Toyotas. Having said that, I agree with another poster that certain years and models are better than others. Not all Toyotas are good and not all Kia/Hyundais are to be avoided.

Hello Everyone,

First and foremost, my personal thank you to all who responded. Please also accept my apologies for not providing more information in my initial post.

My son is in his mid 20's, has his Master's Degree in Computer Science.

He really has no interest in cars other than reliability, and cheap to own. In fact he is polar opposite of me. He will change is own oil but other than that he doesn't really care to understand the brand, and styling differences of cars.

Mazda's have me really intrigued. I cannot believe they don't get more recognition for their styling, and advanced technologies. I will have to put the Mazda 3 on the list to look for.

For the KIA and Hyundai models, I have been looking at the Forte, and Elantra. Price range is 10-13k. All of my current vehicles are port injected and thus I have no experience with direct injection or the maintenance that may be required for it, but I have learned enough about the seemingly poor reliability of CVTs that I wont purchase one, especially a used one.

My impression is that Mazda's also have better coach work (read body assemblies) as compared to the KIA and Hyundai models.

For those of you that own VWs, I find their coach work far superior to anything else out there for the price. Almost all VWs that I am aware of use cast or forged door hinges, where most of the Asian models use stamped steel. Heck, I was surprised to learn that even the door hinges on my Dodge Dart are forgings.

Needless to say this exercise has really educated me thus far. I am amazed at all of the considerations consumers must now look at when buying any vehicle even if it is one on the lower end of the scale.

Thanks again for all of your responses, and please feel free to reply with any additional detail now that you have more information regarding this search.

At that price range, I'll echo my earlier comment and recommend the Elantra. Mechanically, I'd give them an equal grade. The Mazda will have more performance but I've found after owning both vehicles that the Elantra is easier to maintain (read: takes less time). For me, the reason I went from the Mazda to the Elantra was build quality. Granted, I didn't own a top trim Mazda3, but I was disappointed with the interior on the trim level that I did have. After 3 years and 54k miles, the interior on my Elantra is better than what my Mazda was at similar age/mileage, and I don't own a top trim Elantra either.

That said, both cars are good cars and good values, so let your son drive both and see which one he prefers. I've had experiences owning both cars and trust me, there's pros and cons to both and you can spend a lot of time going back and forth between the two. Give each one a chance- extended test drive if your dealership will allow it- and see if he finds a preference and go with that. Whatever he chooses should be an excellent car for him for as long as he wants to keep it.

Originally Posted by Wrenchturner44
Hello Everyone,

First and foremost, my personal thank you to all who responded. Please also accept my apologies for not providing more information in my initial post.

My son is in his mid 20's, has his Master's Degree in Computer Science.

He really has no interest in cars other than reliability, and cheap to own. In fact he is polar opposite of me. He will change is own oil but other than that he doesn't really care to understand the brand, and styling differences of cars.

Mazda's have me really intrigued. I cannot believe they don't get more recognition for their styling, and advanced technologies. I will have to put the Mazda 3 on the list to look for.

For the KIA and Hyundai models, I have been looking at the Forte, and Elantra. Price range is 10-13k. All of my current vehicles are port injected and thus I have no experience with direct injection or the maintenance that may be required for it, but I have learned enough about the seemingly poor reliability of CVTs that I wont purchase one, especially a used one.

My impression is that Mazda's also have better coach work (read body assemblies) as compared to the KIA and Hyundai models.

For those of you that own VWs, I find their coach work far superior to anything else out there for the price. Almost all VWs that I am aware of use cast or forged door hinges, where most of the Asian models use stamped steel. Heck, I was surprised to learn that even the door hinges on my Dodge Dart are forgings.

Needless to say this exercise has really educated me thus far. I am amazed at all of the considerations consumers must now look at when buying any vehicle even if it is one on the lower end of the scale.

Thanks again for all of your responses, and please feel free to reply with any additional detail now that you have more information regarding this search.

You would not suggest any of the cars you own yourself ? Dart should be in that $10-13,000 range as would the earlier Sonic.

Originally Posted by super20dan
why arnt you looking at Toyotas?

It's in the first paragraph of the first post.

I'd check out the Puebla, Mexico assembled 2014 Jetta SE 1.8T. Actually reliable (most VWs aren't) and OEM parts are cheap - but priced used like it is a typical unreliable VW with average to high priced parts. That year got the 1.8T and multilink rear suspension. $6k or so depending on mileage.

That being said I have a Mazda (my mother also) and my teenager a 2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS so that might mean a lot more than the above, lol. His 2010 Sonata NF port injected 2.4 with 5 speed automatic is very easy to work on yourself if you're inclined. Might be a tad old for your consideration.

IMO if you're getting a HyunKia 2011+ with a GDI engine just go ahead and get one with 150k miles. If the motor was one of the bad ones it would have blown already, so you'll be fine. Or get one that has had the motor replaced already.

Last edited:
Someone asked why I am only looking at Asian brands. As you can see by my signature line, I personally own all domestics.

My son who is looking currently has a 2008 Pontiac G6 base model that he has had since he was Junior in high school. It has been a good car from a reliability and repair standpoint, but I think he wants to try something beyond GM.

My older son has a 2014 VW Jetta and loves it. In fact I could see him being a VW / Audi driver for life, but service for his Jetta has been somewhat expensive by comparison to my domestics.

In summary, my son who is looking wants to try something different and his peers are advising him on what he should start looking at. I think if money was no object, he would be buying a Tesla.

I think for a lot of us on BITOG we savor our cars and the choices we make for them, but I am not so sure that is going to be the case with the next generation.

Take L@@K at this article that Bob Lutz contributed to. I think he may be correct in many ways, which is sad in my eyes.

https://qz.com/1122534/former-gm-chairman-bob-lutz-says-the-end-of-the-car-industry-is-near/

girlfriends preowned kia optima with conventional 6 spd auto + the 2.4L non turbod engine, unlike her 65 thou oil eating 13 2.5 malibu she traded. good driver + mpg + uses NO oil 10-30 ultimate durability Quaker!! if your close to new $$$$ buy new for the full warranty that used dont get!!

Tell him what you/he are willing to spend. Have him drive several and choose. I presume it's your money?

Let him research / choose what he wants and make the case. He needs to learn how to do this, so why not give him the ball and coach him through the game?

Great advice Javacontour! That is exactly what I am going to do. It is his money, I am just trying to help prevent any of it from flying out of his wallet unnecessarily....LOL. Thanks

We have had a ton of Hyundai's.....hondas..nissans .toyotas...1 audi.
Love the santa fe, just bought a 2019 2.0 T.
And a 16 mazda gt. It's our first mazda that was bot a Ford.
We love em both.
The nissan was our least favorite in terms of fun and reliability.

Hello Everyone,

Looking for some advice for replacement vehicle for my son. Looking at used models from the three brands above. I have since ruled out most Nissan's due to past and recent CVT reliability issues, Honda questionable quality in last 5 years and major component sharing with other makes where said components had questionable quality, Toyota - generally beyond my price / budget for equal size models and mileage, Mitsubishi - few dealers here in major metro area where I live, and seems to have the lowest used population to pick from.

Given my focus, I also want to stay away from any models from these makes that may have CVT transmissions, direct fuel injected engines that have proved problematic due to valve deposits, and any other model specific issues.....i.e. my belief is Kia had huge problem with door latch / striker corrosion a few years back.

Kia, and Hyundai are also starting to use CVTs in some of their smaller platforms.....no doubt be cause of cost and MPG requirements. I am not sure if these are of their own design or they use Aisin as the supplier. Also, are there any issues / recommendations to stay away from regarding models with direct injection that also have questionable reliability?

Thanks in advance to all for your thoughts.
Even honda is on the cvt train lately....

Really depends on your factors that you haven't given. I've had Hyundai/Kia before and it was generally a good car, but not anywhere near a Toyota or recent Mazdas (2010 + or so) in quality. However, if it was for one of my kids and they were going to be living a good distance away from me, like say away at college or something where I could not help with a breakdown, I might consider the Hyundai/Kia if I could find a low enough mileage one since their warranty is longer than Mazda's and is transferable. Hondas with a standard transmission would be an option, but I too would stay away from their autos or CVT's, just like Nissan.

Back