anyone noticed worse acceleration with fram ultra?

I recently changed the oil/filter in my 2019 mazda 3. Previously, it has only seen the OEM 0w-20 oil purchased from the mazda dealer and the OEM mazda filter. This time, I used 0w-20 Mobil 1 EP and a fram ultra xg6607. After changing the oil/filter, I had a noticeable hesitation and lack of acceleration when accelerating for the first 1/2 mile that I drove the car. No service engine light came on. The car only has 8,000 miles on it, and this has never happened before since the car has been in use for the last year and a half. The temperature outside is 90 degrees, so it wasn't cold. The oil level is good, and the oil filter was "primed" prior to installing it. This concerned me a bit, so I did a google search and found several other people discussing random hesitations after installing a fram ultra filter. I'm unsure if it was related to the filter, the oil, or if it was just a random coincidence. The hesitation only lasted about a 1/2 of a mile, and I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary since. The fram ultra xg6607 is a tiny filter, so I may try to install the larger XG7317 next time. Or maybe I should use a less restrictive filter? I don't really care what filter I use, I simply used the fram ultra bc it's supposed to be a good filter and I can get them locally for $8-9 (the OCI on this car is 10K miles). However, why did this happen right after the oil/filter change? Maybe it took a little time for the oil to penetrate/flow well through the more restrictive, small xg6607 filter, causing the lack of acceleration? Maybe it's the oil that I used? Maybe it was a fluke? I'm just stumped bc this has never happened before. Any ideas?

Could it be the M1 oil or a combination of both? Maybe a racing type filter would bring up the performance to original.

I have a hard time accepting that a flow restriction of a filter would create such a parasitic that you would notice a thing. Ditto with an oil selection, even if you put in a straight 50wt...

An oil filter / oil combo won't cause slow acceleration - no. If the filter was giving you a flow issue - you'd hear noises coming from the engine bay... clatters, that kind of thing. Using a 15w40 oil may give you a more sluggish engine response, but 0w20 m1 ep - probably not. If you're certain it wasn't the "butt dyno" giving you a reading, perhaps your ECU was resetting?

Did you over fill? That would be the only reason I can think of that would cause the issue you are having. Just my .02 but I don't think the filter has anything to do with it.

Does your car have some type of engine valve system (VVT?) that relies on oil pressure to work properly and the oil change triggered a minor glitch that took a half mile to correct itself? I know that there are/were some valve systems that were sensitive to oil grade (thickness).

I.E., variable valve timing: "Switching to a higher or lower viscosity oil will change the performance of the camshaft VVT solenoid or phaser, so the computer won't see the cam timing result it expects. That'll set a check engine light and trouble code and will affect engine performance. Improper cam timing can result in many different performance issues, from rough idle to lack of power." https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/motor-oil-viscosity-warning/

You went from SOTA oil and filter quality to Nasty PAO synthetic and a Fram filter.

There you go.

The fresh Mobil 1 EP is likely 2 cst more viscous that what was drained.

You engine is still tight.

I'm seeing EP oils and DEXOS 1 Gen 2 viscosity creeping right up to the 30 grade margin.

Why would you not use Mazda oil and filter ?

its REALLY good stuff.

I would give the ECU a couple days to compensate.

If not resolved change the oil and filter to the Mazda stuff.

You dont want an engine running incorrectly at break in. It will mess it up for its service life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
You went from SOTA oil and filter quality to Nasty PAO synthetic and a Fram filter.
There you go.
The fresh Mobil 1 EP is likely 2 cst more viscous that what was drained.
You engine is still tight.
I'm seeing EP oils and DEXOS 1 Gen 2 viscosity creeping right up to the 30 grade margin.
Why would you not use Mazda oil and filter ?
its REALLY good stuff.
I would give the ECU a couple days to compensate.
If not resolved change the oil and filter to the Mazda stuff.
You dont want an engine running incorrectly at break in. It will mess it up for its service life.

there is so much wrong in that. I dont know where to start.

Originally Posted by kschachn
This whole thread needs to be dragged out back and shot.

I just can't...

39.gif

Originally Posted by Rand

there is so much wrong in that. I dont know where to start.

Well, the first line is tongue in cheek; comments re: PAO.

I will stand corrected, The XoM EP 5W20 is 9.0 cSt and the 0W20 is reported at 8.6 cSt

Guaranteed his sump of run in oil was at around 7 cSt or less. -Yes a Guess.

Everything else is opinion and subjective.

Hit me with what else is off base
smile.gif

O.P.

Likely NOT the filter. Though I've had weird filter "feelings" when installing a 56 WIX in a Subaru 2.5Ej with "VTEC" AVLS

Put the Tokyo Roki back on and all was well. No Noise just a feeling of the engine being swamped with oil.

bizarre. But I was able to correct it !

Originally Posted by cals400ex
I recently changed the oil/filter in my 2019 mazda 3. Previously, it has only seen the OEM 0w-20 oil purchased from the mazda dealer and the OEM mazda filter. This time, I used 0w-20 Mobil 1 EP and a fram ultra xg6607. After changing the oil/filter, I had a noticeable hesitation and lack of acceleration when accelerating for the first 1/2 mile that I drove the car. No service engine light came on. The car only has 8,000 miles on it, and this has never happened before since the car has been in use for the last year and a half. The temperature outside is 90 degrees, so it wasn't cold. The oil level is good, and the oil filter was "primed" prior to installing it. This concerned me a bit, so I did a google search and found several other people discussing random hesitations after installing a fram ultra filter. I'm unsure if it was related to the filter, the oil, or if it was just a random coincidence. The hesitation only lasted about a 1/2 of a mile, and I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary since. The fram ultra xg6607 is a tiny filter, so I may try to install the larger XG7317 next time. Or maybe I should use a less restrictive filter? I don't really care what filter I use, I simply used the fram ultra bc it's supposed to be a good filter and I can get them locally for $8-9 (the OCI on this car is 10K miles). However, why did this happen right after the oil/filter change? Maybe it took a little time for the oil to penetrate/flow well through the more restrictive, small xg6607 filter, causing the lack of acceleration? Maybe it's the oil that I used? Maybe it was a fluke? I'm just stumped bc this has never happened before. Any ideas?

I would expect, given the depth filtration of the synthetic glass media that the Ultra actually flows better than your OEM filter, which would be paper.

This whole experience, particularly given you've indicated that it is no longer doing it, was likely a fluke. Perhaps you had a bit of water in your gas or something else wholly unrelated. I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I have a hard time cannot accepting that a flow restriction of a filter would create such a parasitic that you would notice a thing. Ditto with an oil selection, even if you put in a straight 50wt...

I have edited your thoughts to reflect mine. In addition, the Ultra has synthetic media which flows better than blended or cellulose media.

I would go back and double check everything you touched when you did the change. Maybe you bumped something or left something off? Did you fuel up recently? Check your fuel cap to make sure it's on properly.

It would be hard to believe that the oil or filter made this change. I am running M1 AP with the Mazda Roki filter. The engine runs super smooth and no hesitation.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by JHZR2
I have a hard time cannot accepting that a flow restriction of a filter would create such a parasitic that you would notice a thing. Ditto with an oil selection, even if you put in a straight 50wt...

I have edited your thoughts to reflect mine. In addition, the Ultra has synthetic media which flows better than blended or cellulose media.

Yep. This.

Scott

Back