All New 2021/2022 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by GMguy84
Oh ya few years ago, I drove a '05 Z71 5.3 Silverado with 285K miles on a knocking engine with 10-15 PSI oil pressure for 1 year on mobil 1/Lucas oil stabilizer and she kept on going till the day i sold her. I hardly doubt any F-series could do that, Let alone a "ecoboost-blewmywallet"

Will let you know. Own 2 of the 1st generation Ecoboosts.

1 in the car - 10 years and 135k on it and not been touched other than a knock sensor under warranty. Buns no oil and runs great.
1 in an F150. 9.5 years old and 105k and it pulls a 9900lb GVWR camper during the summer. Only engine thing was exhaust manifolds (common on the early ones when towing heavy). Burns no oil and runs great.

Don't plan on getting rid of the F150 for a while.

[Linked Image from cimg8.ibsrv.net]

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by CKN

Yes

Cool thats how it should be -any idea what penalty gets gets assigned to an hour of idling?

For the Ford Im interested to know if they will use a variable speed idle to make 7.2 KW vs a fixed higher, or standard idle speed.

UD

No-I don't know. I do know there is plenty info on the web about how the algorithms were written and how the OLM was created. I do know you could just idle the motor and the OLM would account for that.

Last edited:
"Claps hands" bravo fellas to those showing your mileage "A few lucky apples, doesn't make the bad ones go away"
thumbsup2.gif

I will take my chances driving from Dallas to Seattle in my 320K 01 5.3 Suburban VS a ecoRECALLboost lol
wink.gif

"Claps hands" bravo fellas to those showing your mileage "A few lucky apples, doesn't make the bad ones go away"
thumbsup2.gif

I will take my chances driving from Dallas to Seattle in my 320K 01 5.3 Suburban VS a ecoRECALLboost lol
wink.gif

Cringe.

thumbsup2.gif

You can absolutely apply this saying to GM as well.
My wife and I took GM to court and won. We will likely never buy another new GM - and I grew up a Chevy guy and still have my old Malibu drag car.
They didn't have my back and purposefully lied and tried to cover up issues. Glad I had a very good lawyer.

I'm not going to bother posting videos. People can search for themselves.
All they have to search for is faulty ignition switches, excessive oil consumption, piston slap, defective 8-speed Tranny's, etc.

Every manufacturer has issues.

Reactions: JC1

Oh ya few years ago, I drove a '05 Z71 5.3 Silverado with 285K miles on a knocking engine with 10-15 PSI oil pressure for 1 year on mobil 1/Lucas oil stabilizer and she kept on going till the day i sold her. I hardly doubt any F-series could do that, Let alone a "ecoboost-blewmywallet"

Dave

To be fair, that's apples to oranges. The 5.3 from that era is a great engine, and anything on the big 3's lot today is totally different than back in 2005.

Dave

To be fair, that's apples to oranges. The 5.3 from that era is a great engine, and anything on the big 3's lot today is totally different than back in 2005.

No point posting 750,000 mi 4.6 2V (First 150,0000 as a Cop Car) to match his older 5300 or an F150 Gen 1 3.5 Ecoboost with 430,000 mi on original timing set and turbos to match a 5300 DFM. People believe what they believe and will discount anything that threatens their preconceptions.

Their 1980 Toyota Hilux lived forever so will a Tundra.

Back on Topic.
It may not be all new (Frame) but I still consider it a new generation.
The 1965 F100 and the 1979 F100 shared a frame but I don't know anyone that thinks they are the same generation.

I just advised a friend talking about having bought a left over '19 F150 and it being outdated already to rear-end a Chevy to make up for it not hitting every branch when it exited the ugly tree.

Nice looking trucks, but I still thing Ram has them beat.

There sure is a lot of bashing going on, although I will say it's fairly well played, but here's my thoughts on ALL the "Big 3" trucks from the last few years:

GM - AFM issues abound, the 6L and 8L transmissions are pretty lame, oil burning (mostly was, now) a big issue. The left hand motor mount loves to fail, I replace them with the factory solid mount from the chassis cabs. The '15+ trucks have TONS of issues: A/C condensers that have a known design fault, vacuum pumps for the brakes that fail and suck engine oil into the brake booster and ruin it, and they STILL can't make a set of oil or transmission cooler lines that don't leak @ 50k. The plus? You can buy a 3 year old Denali that's fully loaded with less than 40K on it for $28-$30k. It's a lot of truck for the money.

Ram - We all know the earlier 3.6's had issues with timing sets and lifters that would fail and take out the cam. That, and the early cylinder head issues. The Hemi is good, but still has cooling issues. All FCA cars have their share of dumb electrical issues, and Ram's are no different. the TIPM's love to fail and cause all kinds of goofy issues. Alternators are big on the 3.6. Front suspension isn't known to be the strongest, wheel bearings seem to fail mostly but that was back a few years. Positives: Well, the Hemi. It's just a good engine. Also, the ZF (licensed) 8-speed transmission. Great unit.

Ford - Again, cooling issues. I see so many little valves and hoses fail on Ford's. The turbo's just add to the complexity. I don't care what anyone says about the 3.5EB: It's just not a great design. Powerful? Smooth? Absolutely. Economical, as Ford so defiantly stated? Not even close. Reliable? Eh, 50/50. That engine needs GOOD oil, like... really good. And frequent changes. Also, they've updated and re-designed the timing components at least 3 times. The early engines have issues... it's a fact. Everything from VTC actuators to chain tensioners. That being said, the 2.7 is a completely different beast. THAT'S how a turbo engine should be built: take a diesel block, use beefy lower end parts, and design a well flowing head. Heavy? Yes. That's the point. IT SHOULD BE! Kudos to Ford for taking a chance and giving the 2.7 it's all. Phew, anyways: other than that I've seen plenty of issues with the Sync radios, usually the ACM or Audio Control Module fails. Basically the radio brains behind all the buttons on the dash.

I, personally, think that the 3.5 will eventually be dropped as they refine and tune the 2.7. There's really no reason for 2 separate, somewhat over-lapping turbo V6's. The 3.5 won't go away, but it's really unnecessary for the F150. NA V6 for the work trucks, 2.7 turbo next, diesel for those guys, and the 5.0 for the V8 guys. That's all you need.

Side note: What will be REALLY interesting is when someone takes the new 7.3 "Godzilla" engine out of the Super Duty and puts it in a base model 2WD F150. Ford already confirmed it will fit, and I'm sure someone could make the electronics work. Modern day Ford Lightning, anyone?

Maybe I'm just really cheap, but I would have a hard time plunking down the $50K+ for something as ugly as the current truck offerings. Some of them are "okay", but I have a hard time wanting to spend that much on something I'm not absolutely thrilled with. My uncle just bought a new F150 with the 2.7L ecoboost and loves the truck but even he said "yeah the front end is... interesting... compared to my other truck". His old truck was a 2004 or so F150.

Wow, is that your Cujet? 400k? I'm guessing all highway right? BRB Pre ordering a Bronco 2.7....

There is nothing on this truck to make it a candidate for conquest sales. There is simply not enough here. The RAM is still the truck to beat !

Nice looking trucks, but I still thing Ram has them beat.

There sure is a lot of bashing going on, although I will say it's fairly well played, but here's my thoughts on ALL the "Big 3" trucks from the last few years:

GM - AFM issues abound, the 6L and 8L transmissions are pretty lame, oil burning (mostly was, now) a big issue. The left hand motor mount loves to fail, I replace them with the factory solid mount from the chassis cabs. The '15+ trucks have TONS of issues: A/C condensers that have a known design fault, vacuum pumps for the brakes that fail and suck engine oil into the brake booster and ruin it, and they STILL can't make a set of oil or transmission cooler lines that don't leak @ 50k. The plus? You can buy a 3 year old Denali that's fully loaded with less than 40K on it for $28-$30k. It's a lot of truck for the money.

Ram - We all know the earlier 3.6's had issues with timing sets and lifters that would fail and take out the cam. That, and the early cylinder head issues. The Hemi is good, but still has cooling issues. All FCA cars have their share of dumb electrical issues, and Ram's are no different. the TIPM's love to fail and cause all kinds of goofy issues. Alternators are big on the 3.6. Front suspension isn't known to be the strongest, wheel bearings seem to fail mostly but that was back a few years. Positives: Well, the Hemi. It's just a good engine. Also, the ZF (licensed) 8-speed transmission. Great unit.

Ford - Again, cooling issues. I see so many little valves and hoses fail on Ford's. The turbo's just add to the complexity. I don't care what anyone says about the 3.5EB: It's just not a great design. Powerful? Smooth? Absolutely. Economical, as Ford so defiantly stated? Not even close. Reliable? Eh, 50/50. That engine needs GOOD oil, like... really good. And frequent changes. Also, they've updated and re-designed the timing components at least 3 times. The early engines have issues... it's a fact. Everything from VTC actuators to chain tensioners. That being said, the 2.7 is a completely different beast. THAT'S how a turbo engine should be built: take a diesel block, use beefy lower end parts, and design a well flowing head. Heavy? Yes. That's the point. IT SHOULD BE! Kudos to Ford for taking a chance and giving the 2.7 it's all. Phew, anyways: other than that I've seen plenty of issues with the Sync radios, usually the ACM or Audio Control Module fails. Basically the radio brains behind all the buttons on the dash.

I, personally, think that the 3.5 will eventually be dropped as they refine and tune the 2.7. There's really no reason for 2 separate, somewhat over-lapping turbo V6's. The 3.5 won't go away, but it's really unnecessary for the F150. NA V6 for the work trucks, 2.7 turbo next, diesel for those guys, and the 5.0 for the V8 guys. That's all you need.

Side note: What will be REALLY interesting is when someone takes the new 7.3 "Godzilla" engine out of the Super Duty and puts it in a base model 2WD F150. Ford already confirmed it will fit, and I'm sure someone could make the electronics work. Modern day Ford Lightning, anyone?
From someone who drives a Hybrid and the other vehicles in his garage are nearly twenty years old....

The cheapest 16-18 denali sierra in Utah is 35k and 99k miles. 40k mile denali is about 45k right now. I dunno about the rest of what you said but the prices are not even close.

Back