Subaru Quality Strikes Again!!!

We have both '09 and '17 Foresters bought new and the air works well in both of them. The '09 has needed a couple of top-offs of R134 over the past couple of years, but we bought in in August '08, so I guess it's entitled to leak a little.
Bear in mind that not a single part of the AC system was made by Subaru and that all of these parts will be common across many makes, and not just Japanese brands.
I'm sorry that you've had so much trouble with the AC on this car, but it's obvious that those who've worked on it have yet to figure out what the real cause is.
Since this problem began when the car was firmly under warranty and has persisted despite multiple attempts at a fix, warranty still applies.
Try another dealer service department.
Having owned Subarus for some time now, I have to laugh at those who post, never having owned one, that they are oil burning, head gasket blowing junk.
We like 'em and have had good experience with them.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
The 1st HVAC issue was on Subaru. The rest are on your dealer. Had they did the repairs correctly you would not be having these issues.

+1.

I suspect the first compressor had infant mortality, the system was t flushed right, and now there's fod damage. Or something like that. Which will keep happening until diagnosed correctly.

Originally Posted by Toros
I fell for the Subaru scam years ago and bought an Outback wagon. Never again. Junk science at its best. The boxer engine is inherently flawed. They n ever did fix the head gasket issue. Garbage brand.

Historically, I think it's been a brand that had many loyal fans, who, similar to loyal fans of certain other brands, were willing to accept some compromises in exchange for the benefits that are really only available with a Subaru, because of the uniquely symmetrical nature of the powertrain.

The low center of gravity and symmetry of the powertrain, in my experience (I owned a 2016 WRX for 3 years), makes for remarkable handling, to say the least.

I know one of the good things about Subarus, if they do get in a fender bender, they tend to hold up well.

The outer tin work may not feel robust at allt, but what's underneath is and they wind up being quite repairable.

Some silly parts are quite cheap as well. Just kind of dumb data, but I whacked a big'ol racoon with my 2014 Crosstrek and mangled the left front inner fender liner to the point I had to rip it all out to get home. It was a $80 repair for a collision shop to order and install a new one, with all the fasteners, etc. You rarely hear of electrical or computer issues with them as well.

Last edited:
wow, Im a little surprised to read this thread after thinking of Subaru "Quality" reputation.
I was turned off decades ago on a brand new one I purchased, anyway, that is many years ago and could happen to any vehicle. I feel the same though, decades later their vehicles still seem to have an annoying issue that shouldn't be. Again, I could be wrong ... just surprised to be reading this.

Its quite obvious that AC is not Subaru strong point! Just reading from the first page of this thread to the last. I understand people being brand loyal and not disputing with them, I understand they are ok with a compressor failing at 130k miles and others with some hoses and O rings going bad, some make comments that they understand the failure because they live in a hot climate with a black vehicle! ... but seems clear with those comments, my comment would be correct, AC is not their strong point and in this day and age, really should not be a thought no matter the color of the vehicle, type of hoses, bring seals .. .yikes.
It s**ks having to deal with a bad AC system.

Last edited:
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) it started working a week before it was scheduled to go into the dealer for AC repair and it has been working find since. It was a few Oz low, but otherwise, there was nothing wrong with it.

I really like how simple the car is to work on. And the longitudinal engine / trans. Not a huge fan of AWD (would rather front or rear drive), but the Subaru system is pretty awesome in its simplicity on my 6MT. The manual transmission itself is probably one of the most fun ones I've driven!

What has happened to Subaru Quality?
I went to multiple classes at Subaru Panoz Road Atlanta back in the day and we never broke those 2.5 RS. Rotors, Pads and MIchelin MXX and do it another day.

Newer Subie's definitely have A/C issues. Compressor clutch failure is the biggest one I see, usually it only shows up after driving for 20-30 minutes. The clutch coil gets hot and quits until it cools down.

The other big thing I see, mostly on Impreza's, is the Evaporator core leaking. I'm not sure why they fail, but they do. It's really not that bad of a job, you do NOT have to remove the dash. Glove box comes out, glove box frame comes out, discharge freon (obviously). Then the air intake/blower assembly all comes out in one piece, there's 6 screws for the evaporator cover, and boom it comes out. You can do it in a driveway in about 2 hours, minus having a shop evac. and recharge the system.

Subaru recently changed their engine design and do not have head gasket issues. The new engine is 80% different components than the previous generation. People here are still posting about issues from 10 years ago.

Subaru recently changed their engine design and do not have head gasket issues. The new engine is 80% different components than the previous generation. People here are still posting about issues from 10 years ago.

It seems that the head gasket problem was solved by the time they introduced their new engine in 2011, at which time the oil consumption issue took hold: http://www.subarucomplaints.com/oil-consumption/

We still have a '07 Impreza 2.5i that was the university car for three of my sons. It has over 130,000 miles and runs like a champ. Two issues..The first was the main cat attached to the header went out. California replacement was not cheap Header and cat all one unit The other "trouble" we have had was the check engine light came on that was traced to the carbon cannister, fuel vapor lines that seems to have been a common problem. AC is used all the time....Other than normal maintenece that is all.

The new engine is not from 2011 either, the 2.0l direct injected engine was introduced with the Impreza in the 2017 model year. They do not have head gasket issues nor oil consumption issues either.

Annnnnnnd the AC is out again. 92 degree day yesterday and blowing warm air.

I really want to like this car. It checked a lot of boxes I wanted. Longitudinal, manual transmission, steel wheels ... but the Air Conditioning that doesn't work. Ugh. Frustrating.

Last edited:
If you bought the car NEW and had it serviced three times for the same problem then file a federal lemon law claim. They have to take back your car and refund your money or give you a new car, your choice. It is a federal law that includes the manufacturer pays your attorney fees too.

You said the car was purchased at 150 miles. If you bought it as anything other than a new car you have no recourse under the lemon law but you might in your own state. Like if it was a manufacturer car, demo or any words like that.

I asked my son the other day how is the A/C on his 2020 Impreza Premium hatchback and he says it is ice cold.

It's only an issue that affects the 14-18 Foresters. Not even the Imprezas and Crosstreks on the same platform of that era.

Lemon law sounds good in theory, but in practice it's nearly impossible. It has to be the same component failing twice within two years from new. With all the AC failures this car has had, no two things failed within two years of buying the car new.

It seems that the head gasket problem was solved by the time they introduced their new engine in 2011, at which time the oil consumption issue took hold: http://www.subarucomplaints.com/oil-consumption/

Right. And the 2017 model year introduction of the FB20DI engine that I mentioned before, got rid of the oil consumption issues too. With the new engine they have a car that is full time AWD yet gets 36 miles per gallon on the highway.

Miller, yeah that sucks. But I agree on contacting SOA, and/or finding another dealer. There have been some issues over the years, just as every brand will occasionally experience (even Toyota!). I've heard plenty of stories where people get no joy from their local dealer multiple times, then get SOA involved, and then get resolution eventually. Especially in cases where there have been multiple documented failed repairs. So it's a hope.

I'm on my 6th Subaru, and outside of (all on 2001-2009 cars) wheel bearings, leaking CV boots, a blown steering rack boot, and some oil weeping from my EJ25 head gaskets, and two failed sunroof motors, they've been utterly reliable. No major mechanical failures, no head gasket issues, no crazy oil consumption, no AC issues, no times being stranded. My next car will be another Subaru. My point is, don't let a single data point or single dealer sour your taste. It says more that I've owned 6 Subarus from 2001 to 2018 without major issues than one episode that sounds like it's more likely a poor dealer repair. I totally get this is likely the most frustrating thing you're dealing with right now.

And yes, like fdcg27 said above, most of the loudest haters on this board have not only never owned a Subaru, they are parroting issues that have been fixed for either several years and/or several generations of that vehicle model as if the problems affected every single car of every single model. I say email SOA and provide details and receipts for your issues, explain your circumstances and that you want to enjoy the car, but feel your local dealer is not providing the service you expected and you'd like expedient resolution. Good luck.

I really like this car. There's a lot of engineering that I like. I could see myself buying a cheap Forester as a DD in the future --- and on a $2500 beater I would be okay with no AC. But on a car I bought brand new less than 3 years ago on which I am still making payments, something as simple as AC problems is really unacceptable. That is the most frustrating part ... an expensive vehicle with something simple not working.

Most fixes on these cars are DIY friendly; thats what I like and appreciate. Clutch goes bad --- pull the engine in an hour and change it in your driveway. No need to disassemble the entire car like a transverse econobox. The AWD system is far superior to any other crossover out therre. The wheel bearings are unit bearings, I can change unit bearings in my Jeep in 20 minutes per side!

Subaru of America won't give me anything in writing but keeps promising they'll fix it out of warranty when it goes bad again. I'm just not sure I trust that.

Ultimately what needs to happen is it needs to get EVERYTHING in the AC system replaced. Condenser, compressor, lines, o rings, dryer, evaporator core. That's the only way this car will have functional AC again.

Last edited:
I'm an oddball, but I wish they made their vehicles available with just front wheel drive. Why do they ignore this part of the market?

I'm an oddball, but I wish they made their vehicles available with just front wheel drive. Why do they ignore this part of the market?

HA! Me too, actually! They did for a while. And if you can eliminate the center diff (just crack open case and weld it up), it can operate as front wheel drive.

I don't need AWD even here in NY. Snow tires and FWD have always got me home. Also, I'd like to be able to replace two tires if needed.

Back