Corolla Cross

Nice commercial. Not sure what a Cross is supposed to do? Gauging by the steering wheel location it doesn't look like it's targeting NA.

I thought RAV4 was based on Corolla chassis? I guess not.

Hey, at least the world will be a better place with yet another cute ute to cross shop. I feel better already.

I thought so too.

CarScoops: New 2021 Toyota Corolla Cross Blurs The Lines Between Hatches And SUVs.
https://www.carscoops.com/2020/07/2...thailand-and-is-bound-for-other-markets/

Screenshot_20200709-075906_Google News.jpg

Last edited:
Probably closer to the Camry, but then I thought I read about Toyota moving to fewer platforms, so maybe they can scale a bit and stretch the Corolla platform or shrink the Camry platform.

Here is what Wikipedia says about the platforms since 2015

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_New_Global_Architecture

Originally Posted by supton
Nice commercial. Not sure what a Cross is supposed to do? Gauging by the steering wheel location it doesn't look like it's targeting NA.

I thought RAV4 was based on Corolla chassis? I guess not.

Hey, at least the world will be a better place with yet another cute ute to cross shop. I feel better already.

Toyota needs something better than the C-HR to compete in that segment (compact/subcompact SUV) in North America. This could be it.

This will be a huge seller in the Southeast Asia markets, Australia and New Zealand and India just to name a few.

I'd be happy if we could get the Corolla wagon here. Lots of space compared to the cramped rear area of the hatch version.

What is interesting is that Toyota just recently introduced the Yaris Cross. It will have the 1.5 liter 3 banger and will be sold in the same markets as the Corolla Cross.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
My own image of a cross is that the suspension should be beefier. Not sure if that's true in this case.

The SUV/crossover form factor divorced itself from its original function a long time ago. In most cases, if the suspension is any beefier, that's only to support the greater mass and CoG height.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Is it all image?

For some people with physiological issues, vehicles like this are a godsend because their higher floor (vs. a sedan/hatchback/wagon) makes them easier to get into and out of.

In extremely packed urban environments -- the likes of which almost no American can even imagine unless they've been to South Asia -- there's an argument for this kind of form factor because it can squeeze a hair more interior volume out of a given footprint.

Otherwise... yeah, basically all image. Or at least, it will be until so many people buy these things that all the decent hatchbacks/wagons/sedans aren't made any more. Which, sadly, has already started to happen in some segments.

A lot of people genuinely think crossovers/CUVs are more practical than the alternatives and have never actually checked to see if that's true for their usage (90% of the time, it isn't). Of those who have checked and still buy the crossover/CUV, most either like the look, are insanely self-conscious about the image of other types of vehicles, and/or like the feeling of a higher seating position -- and they're either unaware of the functional compromises or willing to make them.

A lot of people genuinely think crossovers/CUVs are more practical than the alternatives and have never actually checked to see if that's true for their usage (90% of the time, it isn't). Of those who have checked and still buy the crossover/CUV, most either like the look, are insanely self-conscious about the image of other types of vehicles, and/or like the feeling of a higher seating position -- and they're either unaware of the functional compromises or willing to make them.

I'll be the first to admit that crossovers have become ridiculous, even as I drive the Mazda CX-30. I don't really have particular "type" of car that I like. If a car is nice and meets my needs or is something I want for whatever particular reason, the type of car doesn't matter much to me.

I have wondered if there will be a time in the future where we look back at crossovers the same way we look back at station wagons.

[Linked Image]

Loved the look of the CH-R, but the test drive was a let-down. 144hp and a CVT made it challenging when dealing with inner-city driving. You're taking your life in your own hands pulling out onto a 55mph frontage road from a dead stop at rush hour. Lack of AWD and a sunroof was a disappointment too. I see they've added leather and satellite radio since I last drove one in 2017, but the value proposition just wasn't there when you sat it next to a CX-3 GT AWD. I think this could've been a brilliant car if they'd bolted on a turbo and a conventional or dual-clutch automatic, and offered AWD as an option. In its current state, it has nothing to back up its good looks (subjective, I realize).

Maybe this new ride is how Toyota plans to improve the situation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Loved the look of the CH-R, but the test drive was a let-down. 144hp and a CVT made it challenging when dealing with inner-city driving. You're taking your life in your own hands pulling out onto a 55mph frontage road from a dead stop at rush hour. Lack of AWD and a sunroof was a disappointment too. I see they've added leather and satellite radio since I last drove one in 2017, but the value proposition just wasn't there when you sat it next to a CX-3 GT AWD. I think this could've been a brilliant car if they'd bolted on a turbo and a conventional or dual-clutch automatic, and offered AWD as an option. In its current state, it has nothing to back up its good looks (subjective, I realize).

Maybe this is how Toyota plans to improve the situation.

My wanted to look at the CH-R when her old RAV4 died. She was afraid the new RAV4 would be too large for her to comfortably navigate but the CH_R is just not enough vehicle for the money. Very nice looking vehicle but it needs more features, as you've said, for the money.

It looks like a nice option to shop between the CX-30, Outback, HRV, and other compact crossovers. I'd put it on my list of possible next cars if I decide to look for compact crossovers for long roadtrips up to 2 people.

The hybrid looks like a great combo of quickness (roughly 8 seconds to 60, maybe a bit better), fuel economy (50+?) and usable space in a small package. This thing will sell really well. In my case, it'd be perfect even though I'd much rather have the Bronco.

Back