Pennzoil strikes again with PDS (Euro 5W40)

Through the years I know that Pennzoil PDS is a lottery.
So, new PDS that is issued in May for Euro 5W40 has some interesting numbers, and at first I did not paid too much attention. Pour point dropped to -45,, higher KV100 etc.
Than at second look I remembered that I saw these numbers before. So, new PDS is API SP updated:
https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/53f3f71c-3b48-4343-8221-04ca6b02d1a3.pdf

This is PDS issued in 12/19:
https://shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/89db797b-d00c-4b95-8e28-cb5ffd24705f.pdf

This is PDS issued in 2014 when SOPUS introduced GTL:
https://shop.sclubricants.com/pub/m...tinum-Euro-5W-40-Technical-Datasheet.pdf

So, 2020 PDS and 2014 PDS are identical except API standards.

Anyone wants to translate this to me?

It's easy, they already targeted Euro specs that were much more stringent than API SN or SN+, thus had no reason to reformulate to meet SP because the Euro specs are already more stringent than the API SP spec.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
It's easy, they already targeted Euro specs that were much more stringent than API SN or SN+, thus had no reason to reformulate to meet SP because the Euro specs are already more stringent than the API SP spec.

Wait, new PDS is API SP. One from 2014 is AP SN.
OK, maybe that oil already can meet API SP. Fine But here is trick, one from 12/19 is API SN Plus but oil characteristics are completely different. By that logic one from 2014 would be OK for API SN Plus too.

I dunno the 2019 PDS might have been wrong, SOPUS datasheets have been known to be screwy and inaccurate, One of the 30 grade Euro oils had a viscosity listed over 13CSt at one point if I recall which would be a 40 not a 30.

The PDS on the Platinum 5W-30 is actually for the 5W-20 so I sent Pennzoil an email asking them to correct it. They responded by apologizing and sending me a link to their PDS page. I sent a more detailed response attempting to explain their mistake and received another apology and a link to the 5W-20 PDS. My third email has remained unanswered, it's obvious whoever I was talking to had no idea what I was asking them to do.

I sent a PM to Gena Fishbeck, the Pennzoil employee who is member here, to see if she could address it but she hasn't responded.

Thanks for the post. I have some of the SN in my stash.
laugh.gif

I see the latest Euro 5w40 pds is still showing LL-01 approved as well, that's interesting as many oils have dropped it.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
I see the latest Euro 5w40 pds is still showing LL-01 approved as well, that's interesting as many oils have dropped it.

Not 5W oils. All 5W30 and 5W40 oils aimed at Euro vehicles kept LL01 or updated it.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
I dunno the 2019 PDS might have been wrong, SOPUS datasheets have been known to be screwy and inaccurate, One of the 30 grade Euro oils had a viscosity listed over 13CSt at one point if I recall which would be a 40 not a 30.

Yeah, it is all over the place. It is possible that they had to briefly change formulation of SN+ version due to some logistic issues.

Back