can a family of 4 use 34k gallons

I've used up to 50K gallons in a 2 month period during the summer on irrigation. I agree that those numbers equal leak or spigot left on for a while.

That's a crazy amount of water to be using. Even for a family that size. Are all the kids teens? Do they have a pot farm in the back yard? My Wife and I peak at around 4,000 a month and we do a lot of laundry.

If this is the same tenant you asked about last year, then the trend line is moving in the wrong direction. Their use is up 25% since spring of 2019. By chance does this tenant operate a laundry service as a side job? That actually was happening in a condo unit at the building my daughter used to live in.

Originally Posted by AdmdeVilleneuve
If this is the same tenant you asked about last year, then the trend line is moving in the wrong direction. Their use is up 25% since spring of 2019. By chance does this tenant operate a laundry service as a side job? That actually was happening in a condo unit at the building my daughter used to live in.

Yes it is. I noticed that it's gone up also but I attributed it to the family being at home because of the virus.

They have always used a lot of water but this time it's getting up there to the point of craziness

Just received my last bill. 12,000 gallons. Two people, new house in San Antonio. We water 3x per week 8 zones 30 minutes.

During non watering months we are at 2,900 gallons.

I think my bill was $116 for 32 days.

Jeebus, that's high! The previous owners here irrigated the garden (and lawn, I think) and we don't do any of that. We live in a nice neighborhood, but luckily only a few around here seem to be lawn nuts, so having brown grass during dry, hot weather is pretty common around here and I'm fine with it.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Family of 5 here, our bi-monthly bill for the most recent period was 40 cubic meters, which is 10,556 US gallons. So yeah, I'd say they are pretty high.

Or they are growing stuff to get pretty high
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
We use 150g a day. I say that you're renters are growing Pot or someone else is and has tapped into you're line after the meter.

Yeah I believe this is a distinct possibility here ^^^^^^

My 6 plex normally uses 12 to 15,000 gallons per month. 1.5 years ago the city called me and told me my meter would not stop turning indicating a leak in, or under the building, this was in December and it averages 10 to 30 degree's during that month. There is no outside irrigation system. When I arrived to check the meter it was stopped.

The next week the city called me again! The building had used 60,000 plus gallons of water in 4 weeks! I went thru the whole building and found mold in the last toilet I checked. I rebuilt the toilet complete and no more leak. The next year I had a lovely board meeting argument/fight with the sewer district wanting to charge me for 5 LID's when I had been paying for only 2 LID's for 8 years. I won because of the documentation and the billing showing I had fixed the leak and it was a one time event not an ongoing 60,000 gallon per month average as the new norm, but I had to pay 1 month at 5 LID rate which was 3 times the regular monthly sewer rate.

For those that might think i am FOS about the water use i took a pix of the bill. i was wrong about the amount. its 32912 Gallons

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
I've used 32,000 gallons on one bill before, but we are billed quarterly, and it was extremely dry and we were watering the lawn virtually every other day (covering roughly 0.5 acres).

Plumbing leaks can go through a crazy amount of water... sounds like what is happening here... or there is a grow house happening!

Two of us who like long showers use maybe 1000gal a month, if we do a lot of laundry we might hit 1500 but we are gone quite a bit on the weekends.

Thankfully my FL house has a sand point well and 1HP pump for irrigation water. The sprinklers are set to run twice a week, 22 minutes in each of 9 zones in the lawn. No restrictions on the use of well water, unlike the restrictions on city water use for irrigation. So, all THAT costs me is power for the pump. Getting a wifi-enabled controller too, so I can tinker with the system from my phone, since I spend most of my time 1000 miles away, in OH.

My wife and I moved to a duplex one time, and our first month's water bill was for 17,000 gallons. It turned out that the irrigation system for the front lawn, in front of the other unit, was tapped into our water line. I think meters had been added after the fact.

Without watering the lawn, we used something like 3000 gallons per month. Currently, we use about 4900 gallons per month for a family of three.

of water over a 2 month period with no leak? i have a rental that according to the water bill they used 34k gallons of water over a 2 month period. 2 months because it a bi monthly bill. they are a family of 4 . the water itself was not too expensive, but the sewer was murder. basically $1 of water equals $2 of sewer.

i compared this to my own families use and we use 1/3 of what they used in the same time period. i check their meter over a few hours when they were not home and the meter did not move an inch. So no leak it seems

i am trying to figure out how a family can use this much water . i asked them and they said they do a lot of laundry. uhh ok.

how much water do you use?
If you know a lot of water gets used for outdoors, you might be able to install a second meter for outside lines and avoid the sewer charges. Did that back in the 70's and it paid for itself long ago. Depends on your city.

Back