1998 Accord stalling when cold, restarts and runs fine

I gave my folk's 1998 Accord LX 4 banger to a friend after my Dad passed away a year ago.
Cindy lives near Sacremento, about 130 miles away. She's a single Mom and a long time friend.
We bought it new, it has about 105K; it had 85K when she got the car.
I always serviced it. New NGK plugs, air filter and oil 4 months ago. Never had a single issue with this car.
Prior to giving her the car, I replaced the original cap and rotor (Honda parts) and installed NGK wires.

Low idle and stalling recently started. This is intermittent. I have not personally experienced this problem.
I am thinking Idle Air Control unit, not sure. I think the IAC is difficult to get to.
I will check for codes as well; maybe something stored.

Is there a, IAC test?

Your thoughts?
Your advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Sound like a IAC issue to me. If it runs rough during the low idle situation.....The EGR valve might not be closing all the way.

Of coarse....Main Relay issues are VERY common on these cars! But a low idle isn't a symptom I normally relate to Main Relay issues.

The IACV is right on the manifold it should not be difficult to get to especially on a 4 cylinder. Remove the two big bolts and clean out the valve. Also clean the air passages the valve connects to in the manifold. You don't necessarily have to remove the two hoses, which contain coolant. If you are going to detach the hoses to get the valve completely out of the car, make sure the engine is cold and loosen the radiator cap so coolant doesn't gush out.

Last edited:
I had a 99 4 cyl and the only engine performance issue I had was with the fuel pressure regulator which was a common problem. There was a tsb on it and an intermittent cel that came back as a lean fuel condition.

It also started to consume oil but that was solved by changing the pcv valve with an oem one. I bought it new and had it 10 yrs with high miles.

I ordered an IAC (Standard Motor Parts, $114) from Amazon.
I would like to try cleaning the valve but given she lives 2 hours away I will just swap it out.
I do hate throwing parts at problems...

I appreciate all your guidance.

Back