Shell Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5w30

I am curious about the sulfated ash content in this oil. The Shell PDS does not mention it. I have contacted Shell and asked but no response. Has anyone here asked Shell about this and received an answer? Thanks.

ACEA E6 and Mercedes-Benz 228.51 approval both require an ash level less than or equal to 1%, so even if Shell reports it they will likely give you this typical value.

Originally Posted by SummitX670
I am curious about the sulfated ash content in this oil. The Shell PDS does not mention it. I have contacted Shell and asked but no response. Has anyone here asked Shell about this and received an answer? Thanks.

TBN looks more like High-SAPS oil, so probably around 1%. But in general, oil looks pretty stout.

Originally Posted by kschachn
ACEA E6 and Mercedes-Benz 228.51 approval both require an ash level less than or equal to 1%, so even if Shell reports it they will likely give you this typical value.

I would agree at look at the ratings for a general idea of what is used as the additive package.

The reason I am curious is that I am considering this oil for my 2019 Mercedes Sprinter with the OM642 turbo diesel V6. Many other Sprinter owners are using Mobil 1 ESP 229.52 with an ash content of .8%. I am probably splitting hairs here but am curious about the ash content of the Rotella and how it compares to the Mobil 229.52

In that case you don't need Shell to tell you what the SA is of the oil since the approvals tell you that. The Rotella T6 5W-30 does not carry even a recommendation for the approval required for your vehicle and there's a reason for that. The amount of ash is one of those reasons.

I would not use any oil that did not carry the required approval for your Sprinter. You are not splitting hairs, you need to use what Mercedes-Benz specifies. Shell is not going to ever give you an acceptable answer since this oil (and the approval it carries) is fundamentally incorrect for the engine.

Correct. MB 228.51 is approved for Sprinter vans according to Mercedes own publications. Personally I like the idea of using an oil designed around protecting a diesel engine rather than oil that is designed to maximize MPG. I will take the slight hit in MPG for better protection and longevity.

Since Mercedes-Benz 228.51 is appropriate per the owner's manual, and the oil in question has that approval what is the question again?

Back