Pennzoil

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
I don't think there are any Euro SN+ oils period

Which is a moot point anyway because the approvals are much more robust than API

We don't live in Europe. We don't drive their highways or some of their vehicles. Many there are light diesel. Even our gasoline is different.
The best specs to follow are what's in your owners manual - for the USA. Want to go up a grade?..... most manuals allow it. Want to go up two grades?..... a few manuals allow it. If not, then clean the wax out of the ear and listen to your engine. Watch for smoke or consumption traits. Odds are, things will improve going up the grade ladder, versus down.

The best engine doctor is the vehicle owner. Not a BITOG Oil scientist here that can only tell you the math formulas. They cannot tell you how your engine will react to their math. All our driving habits and engine brake-in habits are different. Some of the engines were built on hangover withdrawl days. Some were built properly (when totally alert and sober) and act accordingly.

Our spouses make better engine nurses than someone on the internet two thousand miles away, that can only relate the national average on engine symptoms.

Well that was an interesting rant. If you drive a Euro vehicle, typically it calls for a Euro spec oil, regardless of where it is sold.

The OP asked what was the difference between a "regular" oil and a Euro oil. The former typically meets API/ILSAC specs and the latter typically meets a Euro manufacturer spec based on ACEA. That is the difference.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I'm just surprised the OP asked this question after being a member here for 17 years.

A little Google search goes a long way too...

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Um, check the VOA's, Euro L 5W-30 has an anemic additive package by typical SM./SN.SN+ standards for the typical gas/petrol engine, so you probably do not want to use it in a typical application unless calling for a low SAPS Euro thing. See below, the 5W-30 is also listed as quite thick at temp for a "30" multi-grade bordering on a 40W and some are critical of it. The 0W-30 is also a bit anemic as far as physical detergent additives but for me is gold and my regret is that I didn't buy all of it during the AZ clearance of it...
[Linked Image from bobistheoilguy.com]

The 0W-30...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You do know your "argument" absolutely does not make any sense?
First of all, Euro L oil is made for vehicles that have DPF and lately GPF.
You do not know actually all story behind those additives?
There are UOA of Euro L and they look perfectly OK in intended applications after 10k.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by kschachn
The most significant thing is the approvals and specifications. Pennzoil Platinum Euro has a long list of approvals and licenses despite not wording it properly on their PDS. This dictates other aspects of the oil including HTHS.

Is the Euro more superior than the regular Platinum? Will it harm catalytic converters?

No. Most Euro oils have low Noack and balanced additive package.
Most oils that are shooting for Euro applications but do not have approvals are having additive packages that could harm cat's etc.
They are pushing argument that it is expensive to get approval (it is not), but in reality there is certain aspect of oil that just cannot meet requirements.

I'm just surprised the OP asked this question after being a member here for 17 years.

For someone who's never owned a Euro vehicle and thus hasn't paid attention to Euro-specific oils, it may be a valid question, even after 17 years, IMO.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Um, check the VOA's, Euro L 5W-30 has an anemic additive package by typical SM./SN.SN+ standards for the typical gas/petrol engine, so you probably do not want to use it in a typical application unless calling for a low SAPS Euro thing. See below, the 5W-30 is also listed as quite thick at temp for a "30" multi-grade bordering on a 40W and some are critical of it. The 0W-30 is also a bit anemic as far as physical detergent additives but for me is gold and my regret is that I didn't buy all of it during the AZ clearance of it...
[Linked Image from bobistheoilguy.com]

The 0W-30...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You do know your "argument" absolutely does not make any sense?
First of all, Euro L oil is made for vehicles that have DPF and lately GPF.
You do not know actually all story behind those additives?
There are UOA of Euro L and they look perfectly OK in intended applications after 10k.

I didn't really make any argument and basically did say that the oil is good for it's intended application. I meant it merely wouldn't be my first choice for a regular gasser calling for 5W-30, especially in the SN+ era mainly because the physical properties look a bit light as far as detergency. But who knows what a $25 VOA doesn't show us? In fact I have some on had an plan to use it in power equipment. However, it might be one of my first choices for a Chevy/GMC Colorado/Canyon and vehicles spec'ing Dexos2 and I think I have actually recommended it to people needing a Dexos2 oil based on it's cost and availability here...

And correct me if I am wrong, but weren't you one of the "critics" of Euro L 5W-30 since it seems to be a bit too thick to be a true 5W-30 weight?

Looking at my text though I was surely wrong that the 0W-30 as a 'bit anemic" there ain't nothing anemic about that...
smile.gif
Hello boron, I love you!

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

For someone who's never owned a Euro vehicle and thus hasn't paid attention to Euro-specific oils, it may be a valid question, even after 17 years, IMO.

That's a good point, but to be fair there was a run on this oil and some resulting discussion due to AutoZone clearancing it this spring (IIRC) and there was a fair amount of discussion regarding it. I think that might be what he is referring too. I still have a masking tape tag with a marker hand written stencil of $2.00 on mine. The AZ near my parents had to put it on a table in the middle of the store to get rid of it..
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

That's a valid point.

Originally Posted by 77Se7en

Post reported.

I am curious to know which board policy I violated here?

Post reported.

I am curious to know which board policy I violated here?

Yeah I totally agree Pimtac...

Come on Joe... As Toby Keith says in one of his songs... "Eaaaaaassssssyyyyyyy now".

lol.gif

One thing of note here is that some long time members will ask questions on here that seem simple enough and that they "should" know the answers to. But since this is a discussion board... They ask on here. . I think that is totally ok. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Last edited:
I reported the post because PimTac is notorious here for talking members instead of subject-line....mainly negative, belittling stabs at some members.
We are not the judges and jury of membership knowledge here. Correct the wrong without reaching into their brain size - or it's development - or lack of.

I'm done with this here. Please continue with the thread BlueOval has started.

Well yeah … the sequence here is to snatch up clearance oil now … figure out what to use it in later …

That's unnecessary in this case in my opinion...

I can see where Pimtac was coming from here.

I can also totally understand why our fellow member started this conversation/thread. I have no issue with him doing that because it is a discussion forum.

Candidly... I like both guys... They are both good guys in my way of thinking.

Last edited:
I reported the post because PimTac is notorious here for talking members instead of subject-line....mainly negative, belittling stabs at some members.
We are not the judges and jury of membership knowledge here. Correct the wrong without reaching into their brain size - or it's development - or lack of.

Sorry but your post here is far more negative and belittling than PimTac's. Does he call into question your brain size or lack of development? Also, you say you (we) are not the judges and jury of membership yet you report a post as if you are.

Did you change your name? New hairdo?

What do you think of what's being called approvals … looks like Amsoil made the back label to me …

Originally Posted by 4WD
What do you think of what's being called approvals … looks like Amsoil made the back label to me …

Pennzoil is one of those weird companies that posts actual approvals as if they are not. Why they do that I do not know because it makes them look as if they are obfuscating.

Back