D rings for towing

So I bought a snatch strap for a song but it has looped ends which make it a pita.So I bought these D rings thinking it would make it easier and help it last but these seem too small.I believe these are 3/4 do I need the next size up or what? Thanks

IMG_20200708_134430.jpg

I periodically instruct off road vehicle recovery. That 3/4" shackle is fine for your strap.

BTW, Hooked straps are not allowed on off road trips as if the strap breaks, the hook turns into a 1 pound bullet. The same goes for throwing a loop over a hitch ball.

A shackle with a looped end strap to a secure recovery point on the vehicle is the safest and best method of recovery.
thumbsup2.gif

I mean they seem small to be able to hook them on something what is the biggest size and I got off Amazon and have like 200 in credits so would like to buy there.

Last edited:
What do you plan to pull that a 3/4" shackle seems small?

3/4" is pretty much the standard off road recovery size in the Jeep and Off Road world. I have about 30 of them in various shapes.

FYI - the breaking strength of that 3/4" shackle is 28,500 lbs. Any tow hook on a regular vehicle will likely rip off before that shackle breaks.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
FYI - the breaking strength of that 3/4" shackle is 28,500 lbs. Any tow hook on a regular vehicle will likely rip off before that shackle breaks.

Or offroad bumper ...

Found that one out the hard way!

I use those shackles all the time. I use a ball mount with no ball and put the shackle through the hole where the ball goes.
Works great.

Originally Posted by 379KITTY
I have also put loop on 2" tow strap thru receiver tube captured by hitch pin.

The only issue with that would be the edge of the receiver possibly cutting into the strap. It it's a good strap, like say a Pro-Comp 30', the loops have protection over them that runs up the strap for a bit.

I can bang a nail in with a closed adjustable wrench, yet, it's not the right tool for the job or designed for that purpose. The hitch ball is not designed to take that stress. You'll find plenty of results on google. You will also likely not find any experienced off roader who recommends strapping to a hitch ball.

Back