Ordered NTZ Transprotector (Magnefine Alternative)

After about a week of utilizing some google fu I was able to order an NTZ Transprotector inline filter. This is a magnefine alternative that is all metal and has welded seams. I've had issues in the past with seepage on the magnefine. I am pretty excited about it as I've researched bypass setups, full flow engine filter set-up, magenfine and the aluminum magnefine. In the end, the NTZ is about $25 each and I'm putting one on my trans line and one on my power steering return line. Think I found the best solution for me.

Will post initial thoughts once I get them in. Has anyone else used them? Thank you to whoever mentioned them!

Standard 'I have no affiliation' disclaimer applies.

Well I just read over their website. They say on one chart their filter is rated 2 micron. Hard to believe unless its a bypass filter. Unsure if it has a magnet. I emailed them to ask these questions.

But they say that removing the contaminants will reduce the temp. of the ATF flowing around the transmission. I just do not believe that. Going to synthetic will help with temp. and so will adding cooling if its not sufficient. Actually the synthetic will not help to lower the temp, just that it will work OK at higher temps.

Not ready to order, but curious.

For what the of the Magnefinr type little tiny filter, a remote housing and a bigger filter will cost less in the long run.

Originally Posted By: NYSteve
After about a week of utilizing some google fu I was able to order an NTZ Transprotector inline filter. This is a magnefine alternative that is all metal and has welded seams. I've had issues in the past with seepage on the magnefine. I am pretty excited about it as I've researched bypass setups, full flow engine filter set-up, magenfine and the aluminum magnefine. In the end, the NTZ is about $25 each and I'm putting one on my trans line and one on my power steering return line. Think I found the best solution for me.

Will post initial thoughts once I get them in. Has anyone else used them? Thank you to whoever mentioned them!

Standard 'I have no affiliation' disclaimer applies.

Be careful mentioning seepage and leaking with MF filters around here, you could get in trouble.
27.gif
Where did you get the filter you're referring to?

Ordered from Wayne at Russel Auto in Manchester, NH. He is their distributor for the US and yep, you have to call to order. He knows a lot about these filters and has done work with Allison and Lubrizol to develop fluid specs, so he is the real deal. Here are the numbers:

(603) 625-6438
(603) 625-6549

Originally Posted By: Donald
Well I just read over their website. They say on one chart their filter is rated 2 micron. Hard to believe unless its a bypass filter. Unsure if it has a magnet. I emailed them to ask these questions.

But they say that removing the contaminants will reduce the temp. of the ATF flowing around the transmission. I just do not believe that. Going to synthetic will help with temp. and so will adding cooling if its not sufficient. Actually the synthetic will not help to lower the temp, just that it will work OK at higher temps.

Not ready to order, but curious.

Hey Donald,
I think this best overview on their website. It looks like it does have a magnet and that it filters more 2 micron particles than competitors. I see this as being similar to Fram Ultra being rated at 20microns but also filters a significant amount of 5 micron particles.

http://www.ntzfilter.com/pdf/3944Bro.pdf

I know that a spin-on solution would be cheaper in the log run but I only drive about 7k/year and with 50k syn ATF flushes, this is a good enough solution that doesn't need me to drill and mount an filter mount. Also read a few issues with leaks on the spin-on mounts. Lastly, I like magenfine like filters, just have had seepage previously and like the idea of all metal in the winter.

Interesting, I have been using the MF filters for many years and many miles no issue at all, but this looks promising filtration clams to be better.

I've used the NTZ transprotector now for 5 years.....I cut one open after 50,000 kms or 30,000 miles and the internal micro filter was dark grey leading me to believe it was capturing small bits of debris. There is also a large magnet inside that also captures fine metal shavings.

I also noticed less material on the transmission magnet......I have over 200,000kms using these filters and if any one tells you they restrict fluid flow is all bunk. I've never had any problems......Even though I live in Canada I installed the largest transmission oil cooler that would fit on my condenser. The only problem I have is it take a while for the torque converter to lock up until the transmission fluid gets warm so I'm sacrificing some gas mileage...

I use ATF+4 fluid in my caravan and I drain the pan annually costing about $35-40 and the NTZ filter lasts me 2 years doing 25,000 km/per year. I now have 200,000 kms or 120,000 on my 2009 Chrysler transmission that still shifts like brand new. I've also used the Magnefine filter and never had seepage problems unless you open it apart before using it....if you do, make sure you seal the threads with some transmission silicone before reattaching. I like the NTZ better only because it's stainless steel and indestructible.....as I said I did cut it open and I can tell you it was no easy feat and had to use an angle grinder......I don't know anything about CVTs but the 2 thing that kills traditional transmissions is heat and dirty fluid. I had one caravan that went through 3 transmissions like most people I didn't do any preventive maintenance.

I had a 2000 caravan that I had for 15 yrs......I now have a 2009 and both still had/have the factory transmission and it outlived the vehicle. It amazes me how people quibble over the cost of transmission fluid...I know for the newer cars it can be upwards of $20/litre.....so change it annually and for $80-$100 you have very inexpensive preventive maintenance. As for CVTs, they cannot be rebuilt, a new one has to be installed.......you are looking at $4,000 +.

With any car or vehicle, even a small transmission oil cooler will reduce the fluid temperature.....if you are hauling any kind of trailer you need to get a large oil cooler. The heat will kill your transmission.

NTZ is NOT making it anymore and Wayne Russel is trying to find someone to make it, with not too much luck. Rybestos who has the copy outer shell has the CRAPPY cartridge filter that filters like crap. I guess they DOES NOT want to use the better filter because all you people are just fine buying their Rybestos swiss cheese ATF filter they don't need to have a better one. So it looks as of now the Transprotector is dead. The only way now to get correct fine filtering is an external spin-on Donaldson filter. $$$

Back